PDA

View Full Version : what would you do with problem car

russell brown
16th May 2012, 05:28
I brought car approx 2yr ago and straight away had to replace gearbox, slave, clutch, driveshaft and abs sensor. Has since had thermostat, inlet gaskets and inlet manifold replaced. Wishbones, bushes and gaiters. New exhaust. Cambelt, idlers and pump.ac topped up. And cmc , twice.new carpet
Also fitted chrome grille, wooden wheel, marmite n ambient lighting and puddle lights refurbed alloys also my cousin had the engine cover and battery lid, airbox colourcoded by a member on here
So you get the idea , well loved and looked after car that has know started throwing up gear change problems again which can't seem to be fixed.
The dilema / position I'm in know shall I keep throwing money on her, especially when my dad is offering his cdt conny at mates rates, sell her as spares. Repairs or break her to make best use of all parts.
It feels tbh like I've brought a money pit a Friday car if you like , its a shame as really is the best car I've ever owned but feeling a bit low and disappointed really.
What would you do

MrDoodles
16th May 2012, 06:18
Sorry, but you don't indicate age, mileage and service history of the car, but as the newest the car can be is over 7 years old, to me it just sounds like standard maintenance that you'd have to do on ANY old car!

russell brown
16th May 2012, 07:45
18 months ago clutch,slave and master replaced . On its third master in my two years. This is not normal maintenance of any vehicle I have owned in my lifetime. Especially from a car that is normally well built and with german influence!!

MrDoodles
16th May 2012, 08:06
18 months ago clutch,slave and master replaced . On its third master in my two years. This is not normal maintenance of any vehicle I have owned in my lifetime. Especially from a car that is normally well built and with german influence!!

Did you use genuine parts?

russell brown
16th May 2012, 08:14
Off course, read between lines on initial post...this car has been well cared for.
Know I appreciate your angle and to majority of it i fully agree but this is getting excessive know . My general interest really is what would you do if it was your car and money. I guess by your input that you would accept this and replace all again.
Fair enough.
I just find it fustrating after such a short periodit needs doing again.:(

lady zed
16th May 2012, 08:30
I would and did get rid BUT I'm not mechanically minded so everytime something went wrong with mine it had to go a garage. If you're being offered a CDT at mates rates I would go for it, either keep yours for spares or sell it to we buy any car and let them sort it. :D

What model etc is it, just out of interest.

russell brown
16th May 2012, 08:36
It's a conny 2.0v6 in lovely midnight blue. I've realty got attached to tis car kept it autoglymed and maintained regardless but I think I'm waking up to the fact I'm flogging a dead horse it just seems a real shame.
Parts not really practical for cdt so if I go down that route I shall break her at least that way other 75 s being kept on road and finding good homes.
It just feels like I'm constantly replacing or repairing something.

MrDoodles
16th May 2012, 08:36
Off course, read between lines on initial post...this car has been well cared for.
Know I appreciate your angle and to majority of it i fully agree but this is getting excessive know . My general interest really is what would you do if it was your car and money. I guess by your input that you would accept this and replace all again.
Fair enough.
I just find it fustrating after such a short periodit needs doing again.:(

Unfortunately, there reaches a point in all cars lives, where you are, for want of a better phrase, "Throwing good money after bad"

Without knowing the full details of your car, it would be difficult to reach an opinion.

If you'd like to PM me, then I could give you an honest appraisal of what to do.

Hope that helps!

suffolk boy
16th May 2012, 09:33
i feel your pain i am just about to embark on replacing the front wishbones and bushes.i am doing this myself but even so this job will add up to around the £300 pound mark.this is after i blew probally the same again the month before.but the way i look at is if i was to say for arguments sake and forgive me for saying this sell the ztt.what then?in my situation what are the options?buy another 75/zt and end up doing all the work on it again unless you got lucky.or buy a new car and end up paying back the money borrowed each month for something i would not like.as they say the grass looks greener the other sde of the fence.

bonnietiler
16th May 2012, 09:47
There does come a time where its just good money after bad doesn't there?
I bought my CDTi 4 years ago with 60k and a full service history.
Did another as soon as it arrived again using Rover parts (filters/pcv/etc)
Since then it's covered another 40k and I've just serviced it again (My Son had it for 2 years, didn't so much as top up the oil!)
I have replaced the belts/powersteering pump (used) as a result of the pump failure-Alternator(NOS) Battery, and both front discs/pads, so around £500 I spose, but I did the labour myself.
Not too shabby for 40,000 miles really?
Mind you I've also had to change the rear cover dog-guard (Son's Dozy Rottweiler) Had all four wheels refurbed (Som's dozy parking), so not all plain sailing!

MrDoodles
16th May 2012, 09:50
I hope the PM helped Russell! :)

Just bear in mind that some people spend over £500 a month on a car on finance! ;)

gefary
16th May 2012, 09:54
Have you checked the gear linkage ?
I had trouble with mine about 1000 miles after the clutch had been changed because the fitter hadn't fitted the linkage to the bottom of the gear lever properly

MrDoodles
16th May 2012, 13:13
Can you clear you PM's please, as I have another message for you! :)

russell brown
16th May 2012, 14:33
Pm clear Mr doodles

MrDoodles
16th May 2012, 15:19
Pm clear Mr doodles

Thanks now sent! :)

Tim_Burgess
16th May 2012, 18:58
Ther comes a time with anything you're throwing money at where you have to say "enough". It sounds to me as though you've reached that point with this car.

If you can get hold of a CDT that you know the history of at a good price then go for it. You can always sell your car on or break it, the latter will probably make you more money if you have the space and time.

suffolk boy
17th May 2012, 19:23
this means war!on top of itp failure and a load of other bits last month and only just got new wishbones bushes etc to fit this month.today on the message center came up with the lovely message charge fault rapidly followed with the battery warning light.so all i have to do is tonight drive home 14 miles in the dark and hope for the best dont you just love em:mad: