PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a new tow bar, electrics.

pm77
17th May 2012, 11:56
Hi all,

I have part of a towbar on my saloon. What's missing is the ball part. Looked like it was a swan neck. The electric socket is still there. If it had a by pass relay fitted, where would it be? I want to fit another bar with double electrics (been told you can't buy parts, only the whole thing), and just wondering how I can check what I've got already.

Regards,

PM77

suffolk boy
17th May 2012, 12:44
Hi all,

I have part of a towbar on my saloon. What's missing is the ball part. Looked like it was a swan neck. The electric socket is still there. If it had a by pass relay fitted, where would it be? I want to fit another bar with double electrics (been told you can't buy parts, only the whole thing), and just wondering how I can check what I've got already.

Regards,

PM77
depending on what kit was used in the wiring the relay chances are will be behind the boot carpet near the rear lights.or if they used the mgr kit if i remember correctly the relay will be behind the lower A post trim on the passenger side

RPWC
17th May 2012, 14:18
If you can find out what make bar you have,the swan neck towball should be available as an individual unit.

pm77
17th May 2012, 17:29
Hi,

Supposedly it's a Bosal. I've asked in 2 independant shops about the parts and they say you can't order them seperatly. It came with the towbar like that when I bought it, no spare bits to bolt on. Not had the electrics tested yet to actually see if they work but I do presume it's a proper MGR job as it looks like it's been on a while.

It may not even be a swan neck, just with the electics already being attached and the ball not I just presumed.

Regards,

Paul

HarryM1BYT
17th May 2012, 17:50
Hi,

Supposedly it's a Bosal. I've asked in 2 independant shops about the parts and they say you can't order them seperatly. It came with the towbar like that when I bought it, no spare bits to bolt on. Not had the electrics tested yet to actually see if they work but I do presume it's a proper MGR job as it looks like it's been on a while.

It may not even be a swan neck, just with the electics already being attached and the ball not I just presumed.

Regards,

Paul

Could you take a photo of the bracket? If the company is still in business, then almost certainly they will be able to supply what is missing. I suspect who ever you have asked, will prefer to fit a whole new bar, rather than source the part. The part will be a standard part covering numerous vehicles.

Proper MGR canbus unit is designed to be boot mounted on left side of boot. Bypass type relay could be either side of boot, or in the wheel well.

The supplementary socket (2nd socket) relay again is mounted in the boot area, not far from the 12S socket.

Both sockets need additional cabling run the the front of car.

pm77
17th May 2012, 21:01
I'll try uploading some pictures... although they are large

better still I'll just give a link to the dir with them in :D

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.martin77/temp/

Ignore the other stuff in there... long time since I updated that page.

Regards,

Paul

HarryM1BYT
17th May 2012, 21:53
I'll try uploading some pictures... although they are large

better still I'll just give a link to the dir with them in :D

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.martin77/temp/

Ignore the other stuff in there... long time since I updated that page.

Regards,

Paul

That does not look like a removable swan neck to me, unless the socket has been removed. It also looks very much as if the O/S leaf has been quite badly bent. Perhaps the rest of the bar was removed due to an accident? It would take quite a force to distort that thicknes of steel!

My best suggestion now if it is as it looks - damaged, would be to replace it. Worth checking the for sales on the forum, I have seen two offered in the past couple of weeks and it a quick easy job to fit them. Complete new ones are around £150/£200 - check out Towsures website for a price.

What ever you decide, it might be worth taking the rear bumper off anyway and checking for further damage - it only takes a few minutes.

pm77
17th May 2012, 22:29
Thanks Harry,

I have seen some towbars cheaper on ebay, is it a case of you pay for what you get? I take it it's relatively easy to fit yourself as long as the electrics are ok. I'll be using your guide soon to fit my new fbh and t90 kit:D, are there any guides for fitting a towbar?

Regards,

Paul

HarryM1BYT
17th May 2012, 22:40
Thanks Harry,

I have seen some towbars cheaper on ebay, is it a case of you pay for what you get? I take it it's relatively easy to fit yourself as long as the electrics are ok. I'll be using your guide soon to fit my new fbh and t90 kit:D, are there any guides for fitting a towbar?

Regards,

Paul

Not really, but it is fairly obvious. It is by far the easiest one I have ever fitted. The bars are all pretty much of a muchness - they all have to meet the standards. The removable ones tend to be more expensive, but even the fixed ones are not that difficult to remove so they don't show all of the time. In place they tend to give your bumber some protection from the bad parkers. Just make sure they are all complete, including all of the bolts and two brackets which slide into the chassis. They all do rust, so worth cleaning up and repainting before fitting.

RPWC
22nd May 2012, 16:47
new ones are available from tow sure for about £80, I was looking on there the other day http://www.towsure.com/category/Rover_75_4Door_Saloon_19992005. Fitting:remove bumper scrivets on top of bumper,and two underneath at centre, remove self tapping screw either side just behind wheelarch underneath.
Grab hold of bumper at wheelarch,and pull outwards,same for other side,perhaps have a blanket or something on the ground in case it drops and get scratched.
Remove the bumper,4 bolts,and put crossbar in its place,fit bolts in chassis rails and tighten,refit bumper cover,then attach tow all,and tighten to specified torque.

RPWC
22nd May 2012, 16:59
That is a detachable Towbar you have,the hitch fits in the gap where the bolt is,and another bolt goes through top hole. A new one complete(detachable) is £177from towsure.

pm77
22nd May 2012, 19:33
Ordered one from the bay last week. It's a flange one so at least semi removable (The number of times I banned my shin on my old 806!). The one there probably hasn't been used in about 6 years so I thought it best too replace it (and possibly damaged). I'm off after Saturday for a week so if the weather is ok I'll try fitting it and the other bits and Bobs I've got... Oh and try to fix the fan, the car was like an oven today:(