PDA

View Full Version : timing belts

scannerman
28th November 2006, 06:56
hi all
on reading threads in the past the advise has been change belts every 90000 or six years wichever comes first,so early next year for me,,,but while i was at my local dealer yesterday for something else i asked for a price on the bellt change and was quoted £478 and when he looked at my car he said"01 on a y plate,its overdue it should have been done at five years",,,,advise please i'm now worried sick that my belts might snap and at the moment not in the position to change them.

Teflon
28th November 2006, 07:20
Is this a V6?

I'm no expert, but if it is, I suspect they looked up the wrong model. £478 is one heck of a bargain price from a dealer for a KV6 belts change (I thinks its about the amount that Lates charges).

My local (ex) MGR dealer wants £1000, and 'phoning around locally, most quotes are around the £800 mark. No doubt someone will be around soon to confirm, but I really wouldn't worry (unless it's not a KV6 - in which case ignore this post!).

HTH,

Cliff

Tatts
28th November 2006, 08:36
The V6 belts are changed at 6 years/90,000 miles, whichever is sooner.

Not sure about the 4 pot!

scannerman
28th November 2006, 10:59
hi all

yes it is the kv6,,i think i'll ring up and check that price again,,he did say there were three belts to change and it was an eight hour job so he must have quoted me right............

Lates
3rd December 2006, 16:14
You can save around £100 on that price with us. £375 atm until we restructure our price menu.

Ken
3rd December 2006, 16:23
You can save around £100 on that price with us. £375 atm until we restructure our price menu.

Don't you go and restructure your price menu until after my next service Lates.

its in August :laughing2:

Lates
3rd December 2006, 16:33
Heres an idea I have been toying with gents for a while.Well tbh I seen it somewhere else and I am thinking of modifying the idea to suit our needs.

Applicable to 75/zt's only.

Club,classic, conn, conn se levels of service sheets ?

Club would be along the lines of oil + filter, lights levels and a general look about - wheels left on.

Then a gradual increase to......

Conn SE which would include air/pollen/fuel/oil filters,plugs,belts,brake fluid,fuel clip if needed.The kind of full monty for vehicles without a full history or just like their pride and joy to be spoilt.

Let me know your thoughts gents and also if you deem it necessary.

Ken
3rd December 2006, 16:44
Would these levels of service cover the laid down MGR service sheets for each particular mileage? In other words the full monty one would that be the top service and would it cover everything on the MGR service list Lates?

or is your idea as an extra just for cars with no service history to speak of and also for those who like to pamper their cars?

Forgive me, I am not sure what are saying

Ken

Lates
3rd December 2006, 16:56
Would these levels of service cover the laid down MGR service sheets for each particular mileage? In other words the full monty one would that be the top service and would it cover everything on the MGR service list Lates?

or is your idea as an extra just for cars with no service history to speak of and also for those who like to pamper their cars?

Ken

Appreciate your thoughts Ken,
To a degree the mileage would kind of be disregarded.The OE service sheets would still be incorporated.This alternate service schedule would give the customer a bit more flexibility allowing a mix and match off all MGR services as the customer deems appropriate.
So to summarise the full monty would be more than what the OE manufacturer states - overkill if you like or as you say pampering your car,but this would also cover vehicles that you guys buy and are unsure if the parts have been replaced at the correct specified interavals.

The plan for a Conn SE service would be to replace every component that the vehicle requires at various stages of its life in one hit.

Does this make sense as I am still suffering from last nights beer.

Ken
3rd December 2006, 17:06
Lates

It sounds an interesting idea and one worth exploring for those who are not sure if their services have been done correctly in the past.

Could I ask you to do another thread when you can and to state everything that each level of service would cover. That way we would be able to give you useful feedback instead of only going by what you have said above. There is not enough info to go by with just this

Applicable to 75/zt's only.

Club,classic, conn, conn se levels of service sheets ?

Club would be along the lines of oil + filter, lights levels and a general look about - wheels left on.

Then a gradual increase to......

Conn SE which would include air/pollen/fuel/oil filters,plugs,belts,brake fluid,fuel clip if needed.The kind of full monty for vehicles without a full history or just like their pride and joy to be spoilt.

Thanks lates

Ken

Sorry to Scannerman for taking your thread off topic

Ken