PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide wheather I prefer being a driver or a passenger

driverjgp
28th November 2006, 16:16
I let my good lady drive my pride and joy yesterday while we was out Xmas shopping, being that it was a long day my 5 month old daughter was getting grumpy and tired so I said I will sit in the back of the 75 with her and keep her entertained, while I was sitting in the back and the 75 and was cruising down the A12 at 70mph I saw the car in a totally different light.

Upon looking round the car while it was being driven I loved looking around and admiring the beauty of the interior, looking at the pillar posts and seeing how thick they were and how safe I felt, enjoying the smooth ride whilst hearing my V6 purring away while the rear seats was hugging me, it really is a truly pleasant place to be and to be honest I can't decide weather I prefer being a passenger of driving my baby.

Has anyone else sat in the back whilst being driven? (assuming you trust someone enough) I felt like royalty.

Ken
28th November 2006, 16:18
I have never sat in the back! I must try it sometime :lol:

Ken

driverjgp
28th November 2006, 16:20

Ken

Try it, I recommend it.:drool4:

baxlin
28th November 2006, 17:08
All this feeling of well-being - I'm sorry, while I can relax when being driven by SWMBO in her Clio, no way can I relax when she's driving mine.

Firstly, I know she's not comfortable driving it, (the Clio's the biggest car she drives regularly). Secondly I can't stop wincing all the time, & I find the brake pedal on the passenger side doesn't work etc.........

So, apart from cleaning it, I've not sat in the rear!

driverjgp
28th November 2006, 17:19
All this feeling of well-being - I'm sorry, while I can relax when being driven by SWMBO in her Clio, no way can I relax when she's driving mine.

Firstly, I know she's not comfortable driving it, (the Clio's the biggest car she drives regularly). Secondly I can't stop wincing all the time, & I find the brake pedal on the passenger side doesn't work etc.........

So, apart from cleaning it, I've not sat in the rear!

I was on edge to start with, but she has driven it on and off for a while now, her car is a 54 KIA Picanto so its two opposite cars and she can jump quite happily from one car to another, trust me if I had any doubts she would not be allowed. It must be :romeo: coz I've given her the spare key, I loved to be driven in my 75, I do drive for a living so I do get fed up with it from time to time.

windrush
28th November 2006, 19:41
I often let Lilian drive me in our 75 she also has the spare key and as all ready been said after many many years as an HGV driver the thrill is not the same

JP53
28th November 2006, 19:44
Sat in the back of mine once when Sue drove. I can't say what it was like because I had my eyes shut and my fingers in my ears!

Zeb
28th November 2006, 19:45
Sat in the back of mine once when Sue drove. I can't say what it was like because I had my eyes shut and my fingers in my ears!

*Ducks and awaits Krakasue/a to explode....*

JP53
28th November 2006, 19:52
*Ducks and awaits Krakasue/a to explode....*

Didth nottts dueckk cuick annoff hand isss nowww c ing starssssss :hurt2:

Simon
28th November 2006, 20:10
Didth nottts dueckk cuick annoff hand isss nowww c ing starssssss :hurt2:

Damn those spinning stars.... :hurt:

Only ever been in the back whilst cleaning the car or fitting the kids car seats, but when doing either of those I'm not usually sitting (often sort of crouching/standing in footwells facing rear of car whilsy performing said task) :lol:

GreyGhost
28th November 2006, 20:17
I've only sat in the back of my Zed a couple of times. Drop centre arm rest, pour tea from flask, open sandwiches, commence picnic. Meant to add run front seats as far forward as possible first. Luxury. :)

Simon
28th November 2006, 20:22
I've only sat in the back of my Zed a couple of times. Drop centre arm rest, pour tea from flask, open sandwiches, commence picnic. Meant to add run front seats as far forward as possible first. Luxury. :)

Is this picnic on your driveway? Because (and you can fetch the men in white coats at this point) I had a thought about doing this the other day.... :munch:

JP53
28th November 2006, 20:22
Is this the sign of our average community age. When I was younger I used to spend a lot of time in the back of my car and have many, many happy memories. All be it before I got married I hasten to add!

JP53
28th November 2006, 20:23

Al you need now is the TV :D

Simon
28th November 2006, 20:25
Is this the sign of our average community age. When I was younger I used to spend a lot of time in the back of my car and have many, many happy memories. All be it before I got married I hasten to add!

Many-a-time did me and my mates go to late-night drive thru's or garages and sit in cars in car parks munching on food and talking into the early hours.

.... and they think the youth of today is strange..:D.

GreyGhost
28th November 2006, 20:35

Had to mate the front seats didn't recline in any car I could afford :) No wonder I've got a bad back now :rofl:

scannerman
28th November 2006, 20:38
oh to be a passenger,my other half loves her focus"well someone has to"and if i suggest that i ride in the back of my 75 comments like"who do you think you are,,**""+_*^royalty"come forth,having said that sitting in the back would make you feel like royalty,,,,would'nt it

JP53
28th November 2006, 20:41
Had to mate the front seats didn't recline in any car I could afford :) No wonder I've got a bad back now :rofl:

You should try a blooming Mini.

It's like when the doctor told the expectant young girl that the most comfortable way to give birth is in the same position that you conceived in. " your joking Doc" the lass exclaimed " there is no way I'm giving birth with my arms and legs sticking out the windows of a Mini" :laughing2:

JP53
28th November 2006, 20:52
oh to be a passenger,my other half loves her focus"well someone has to"and if i suggest that i ride in the back of my 75 comments like"who do you think you are,,**""+_*^royalty"come forth,having said that sitting in the back would make you feel like royalty,,,,would'nt it

It would. The big Rovers have always been 'posh' motors as far as I'm concerned. I always wanted a P5 or P6 when I was a lad, Dad always had Hillmans, Super Minx and the like. In the late 70's I wanted an SD1 and I can still remember them winning the BTCC. After I passed my driving test as soon as I could afford it (about 9 years) I bought an 820.

majedm75
29th November 2006, 07:32
Damn those spinning stars.... :hurt:

Only ever been in the back whilst cleaning the car or fitting the kids car seats, but when doing either of those I'm not usually sitting (often sort of crouching/standing in footwells facing rear of car whilsy performing said task) :lol:

Me too! Only been in the back for cleaning purposes only. However, I also sat once in the back of the car when I was checking her at the dealer almost 4 years ago... it was a very nice feeling to say the least :cool:

On the other hand, I have let my wife do some driving only once, on a highway, for the distance between 2 rest areas (about 10 kms)... She wasn't too much at ease, lost between all the buttons and gages (me neither when she was driving) :eek: It's a world of difference between the 75 and her Suzuki. Moreover, I don't leave my car to valets for parking, only do it myself. ;) And no food, drinks or smoking in the car by the way!

mykl
29th November 2006, 08:07

Ken

Likewise Ken....

I have however been driven whilst sitting in the front...must venture to the back.

My wife and I always share the driving when we pop down the pub, so she gets a chance to drive a real car. ( Share = I drive to the pub, she drives home) I'm all heart.

Wife's car is Renault Megane so she finds the Zed a little too wide for my comfort. If it were not for the anesthetic consumed at the pub, I'm sure I would be driving home.

Perhaps the backseat is the answer!!

mykl

baxlin
29th November 2006, 09:12
QUOTE: And no food, drinks or smoking in the car by the way![/QUOTE]

Are your cupholders for sale then? Good price on ebay, as they're rare!

Commodore
29th November 2006, 12:32
Have to say - I do like being a passenger in a 75, especially in the back, which I do not find cramped, despite being 6ft tall.

I spend a lot of time travelling between home, my office and various TV and radio stations by cab, and most of the car firms used by the Beeb, CNBC and Sky use Diesel facelift 75s - in SILVER :)

scannerman
29th November 2006, 17:39
I remember as a boy when my dad used to get his monthly readers digest,and if my memory serves me right the p4 rovers were advertised as"the poor mans bentley....and they are not far wrong.....
I wish now i'de kept some of them....................................

Alex30013k
30th November 2006, 05:09
I have been in the front passengers seat and back seats,

Love it!
It’s what the car is all about!

:D

markperkins
30th November 2006, 12:50
Actually JP have not tried a journey in the back yet, though my wife does drive sometimes.
Whenever it happens I feel terribly smug being cosseted in leather and wood.
It's a remarkably enjoyable experience and very quiet.
I honestly cannot imagine many other cars (regardless of cost) which offer quite such a relaxed journey....as borne out by Auto Express owners reports which make the R75 the best ride of any of the 100 cars tested.