PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Towbar?

Colonel Mustard
3rd June 2012, 19:48
I was looking out of the window and I saw pouring rain and long lines of traffic and thought 'hmm, a caravan would be an ideal purchase'

Problem is, I irrationally hate towbars. Is there an option to have a towbar that is completely invisible when unused?

andyg2011
3rd June 2012, 19:54
I was looking out of the window and I saw pouring rain and long lines of traffic and thought 'hmm, a caravan would be an ideal purchase'

Problem is, I irrationally hate towbars. Is there an option to have a towbar that is completely invisible when unused?

yes its called a 9Detachable) tow bar and is hidden when you take it off

look it up on ebay

Colonel Mustard
3rd June 2012, 22:06
Just how invisible is it? I cannot see any images of what it looks like when the ball is removed.

Jakg
3rd June 2012, 22:30
Just how invisible is it? I cannot see any images of what it looks like when the ball is removed.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=84030

Nigpercival
4th June 2012, 22:05

Lol. Nice one this could run on and on

HarryM1BYT
4th June 2012, 23:19

I bought a none detacheable one from Towsure a couple of years ago. Whilst it is not detacheable, if I so wanted I could quickly and quite easily just unbolt the visible section - which would leave no obvious sign of a tow bar being fitted unless the rear end were jacked up. I prefer to leave it in place, it provides some measure of protection from poor parkers.

oldcarguy
5th June 2012, 08:19
I have a Witter detachable on our tourer and from behind you can see a wiring socket either side of the towball socket, they are all about the same size and sit flush with each other and are located at the back underside of the bumper(a slot about 4" long has to be cut out so that the bumper can be slid over the hitch) I believe some members have cut a larger piece out of the bumper so that the wiring sockets are recessed to some degree, but its easy to to connect everything up where they are. Years ago you could have made something up, but rules and regulations mean that everything has to be type approved so your limited to what you can do.

trebor
5th June 2012, 10:52
Mine is a witter on the ZT and here is a picture without the towball fitted

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm292/trebor798/5b796828.jpg

Colonel Mustard
5th June 2012, 20:59
I bought a none detacheable one from Towsure a couple of years ago. Whilst it is not detacheable, if I so wanted I could quickly and quite easily just unbolt the visible section - which would leave no obvious sign of a tow bar being fitted unless the rear end were jacked up.

Ah, now that is interesting. I don't mind having to crawl under and bolt on a section of towbar before hitching up, if it means the car looks better when it is removed.

I have a Witter detachable on our tourer and from behind you can see a wiring socket either side of the towball socket, they are all about the same size and sit flush with each other and are located at the back underside of the bumper(a slot about 4" long has to be cut out so that the bumper can be slid over the hitch) .

Mine is a witter on the ZT and here is a picture without the towball fitted

Thanks. It looks pretty good, but I still would find it annoying. It's such a beautiful back end and it seems such a shame to spoil it.

trebor
5th June 2012, 22:56
You will just have to do without it then i suppose unless you could fit some sort of rear splitter and take it off for towing !

Another pic of mine taken today i need to paint mine to tidy it up a bit

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm292/trebor798/f2b081fd.jpg

deanbmx
6th June 2012, 06:51
You will still have the electrics socket on show even after removing the tow ball.

windrush
6th June 2012, 09:05
I have a detachable on my tourer and all ways remove it when not towing till some muppet back into my rear bumper and put a crease in it so I now leave it attached as it dose give a little proction

Colonel Mustard
6th June 2012, 11:01
I bought a none detacheable one from Towsure a couple of years ago. Whilst it is not detacheable, if I so wanted I could quickly and quite easily just unbolt the visible section - which would leave no obvious sign of a tow bar being fitted unless the rear end were jacked up. I prefer to leave it in place, it provides some measure of protection from poor parkers.

You will still have the electrics socket on show even after removing the tow ball.

Ah, I see what you you mean: if you remove a removable towbar, the sockets will remain. If you remove the visible section of a non-removable towbar, you will have a problem with the electrics which are supposed to be permanently connected to this section.

I guess removable is the only option then.

Billy1mate
8th June 2012, 19:42
Do Westfalia make a detachable version for the 75? They make them for BMW.