PDA

View Full Version : smokey MOT

Godders 75
3rd June 2012, 22:26
I took my 9 year old diesel in for its MOT on saturday and got through it with no advisories so well pleased but........there was some concern regarding the emissions because it was 'a little smokey' I was told that the car probably isnt driven fast very often which is true, but seeing as smoke is something to be avoided would injector cleaner help? any opinions other than drive faster (I do 65 on motorways) would be greatly appreciated.
Gaz

Dorset Bob
3rd June 2012, 22:34
How many miles did you drive to the Test Station? i.e. was the engine warmed up properly?

blacknwhite
3rd June 2012, 22:40
Sounds like your MAF is on its way out.

Jakg
3rd June 2012, 22:40
Hows your EGR & PCV? Probably the best things to look at IMO.

Godders 75
3rd June 2012, 22:44
Hi Mate
yeah the engine was well warm the garage is about 20 miles from me, i should have said that its nearly done 133k but then that just means its run it doesn't it, i have had the pcv filter done recently and the EGR its only just a had a service, so a bit of a mystery really, but it does concern me.
Mr blacknwhite i hope your wrong its on its 2nd MAF i dont want it to become a habit.
gaz

blacknwhite
3rd June 2012, 22:47
Hi Mate
yeah the engine was well warm the garage is about 20 miles from me, i should have said that its nearly done 133k but then that just means its run it doesn't it, i have had the pcv filter done recently and the EGR its only just a had a service, so a bit of a mystery really, but it does concern me.
Mr blacknwhite i hope your wrong its on its 2nd MAF i dont want it to become a habit.
gaz

Just disconnect it and try it. Costs nowt and takes 10mins.

blacknwhite
3rd June 2012, 22:50
I know this is throwing yet ANOTHER thing into the mix, but mine was smokey until I changed my O rings. Now even under hard acceleration - no smoke at all. £3.55 and 15min job.

Godders 75
3rd June 2012, 22:52
yep 'O' rings done 2 weeks ago.

blacknwhite
3rd June 2012, 22:58
yep 'O' rings done 2 weeks ago.

Looks like you've covered all the bases. Guess it's try the MAF and see what happens. I ran mine disconnect for about 9months, now i've fitted a new one I cannot see any difference in anything, performance, fuel consumption etc just the same so if it ever knacks again I'm going to disconnect it and leave it disconnected.

Godders 75
3rd June 2012, 23:26
its always a concern when you think you do all you can to look after the car, but thers always something, thanks for all your contributions chaps.
gaz

kissifer1972
4th June 2012, 02:27
The colour of the smoke makes a difference. What colour smoke are we talking?

http://www.uniteddiesel.co.uk/diesel-engine-smoke.php

This might help?

Chris

YIM YAM
4th June 2012, 05:08
I wouldn't bother changing anything until you've given it a good spanking down the motorway, mine was in for MOT a week or so ago and before I took it I have it a right royal spank down the motorway and the emissions were fantastic, Co2 was nil, and HC was next to nothing, give it a spank and you'll be surprised, at least it has passed :}:}, 12 mths more motoring,!!!!

rich17865
4th June 2012, 07:11
I wouldn't bother changing anything until you've given it a good spanking down the motorway, mine was in for MOT a week or so ago and before I took it I have it a right royal spank down the motorway and the emissions were fantastic, Co2 was nil, and HC was next to nothing, give it a spank and you'll be surprised, at least it has passed :}:}, 12 mths more motoring,!!!!

I agree, an Italian tuneup is the order of the day.

MrDoodles
4th June 2012, 07:26

Correct, I've always know it as an "Italian De-coke" but the same applies, get her properly warm, then red line it though the gears!

Godders 75
4th June 2012, 11:24
I'll give anything a go, anyone want to buy my driving license before i loose it;)

blacknwhite
4th June 2012, 11:33

:D:D:D brilliant. Never heard that one before.

When I took it round to my mechanic mate just after I bought mine, I had a knock in the steering (top suspension bush) and wanted him to sort it. Before he even looked at it, he ripped the a*** off it, foot to the floor job for what seemed an eternity. We disappeared in clouds of smoke after which he said "there you go Bob, engines nice a clean now". :D

I wouldn't have the guts to do it again.

Dave Goody
4th June 2012, 12:58
I know Gary's got the guts to do it!
Anyone who has the nerve to park outside Domino's Pitza's has my admiration!

PS its a private [local] joke

ramdonice
4th June 2012, 13:27
don't even have to break the speed limit just go flat out in 2nd for a little while