PDA

View Full Version : indicator warning

entity
10th June 2012, 12:44
Hi all, I have a cdti tourer which had a tow-bar already fitted but decided to fit a new one. i used the original electrics but changed the 12s and 12n sockets as the bailey pegasus (first caravan for 16 years) had the 13 pin plug. My main concern is there is no audible or visible warnings that the indicators are working, all my other car caravan combinations had audible warnings when you used the indicators. My rover sd1 3.5 had a dashboard light but this car nothing has the law changed or do i need to investigate ?
Dave

reworht
10th June 2012, 13:42
Dave
I have a similar (but not the same!) problem. Firstly, yes - the law says you must have either an audible or visual warning for your caravan indicators. I had a new towbar fitted last year, and opted for the less expensive wiring kit which does NOT connect to the Rover's existing dashboard warning light for indicators. The relay fitted in the boot (mine's a saloon) DOES emit a bleeping sound to tell me my caravan indicators are working - but the problem is lack of volume!
When travelling, I can really only hear mine if I close all the windows and turn the radio off. If anyone can advise how to improve/add to the audible warning - that may help both of us!
Rod

HarryM1BYT
10th June 2012, 15:38
I have the proper Can-Bus version fitted and it provides no feedback of trailer indicator operation, unless there is some fault - which I suppose meets the C&U regulations. The fault shows up in the display and even tells you which lamp right or left has failed, before it has even been used.

Where the unit is of the fit-all basic relay type with sounder, which is too quiet - the only solution is to move the relay to a better location, or remove the actual sounder unit from the PCB and remotely mount it in a better location. The usal place for the relays to be fitted is in the wheeel well, or behind the boot side panels.

entity
11th June 2012, 13:46
thanks all.I will have to connect the van up at the weekend and take a bulb out to see if i get a warning.
thanks dave

HarryM1BYT
16th June 2012, 15:40
If you have the hi-line dash/IPK, it will not only tell you you have a failed lamp, but tell you which actual one has failed on the trailer.

Chuckles
9th July 2012, 16:11
This is interesting. When towing with the Merc I only had a warning when a bulb failured occured on the trailer.

Now in the Rover, firstly I was surprised not see a socket in the boot, as was found on the 800 series (827 to be precise), and the point raised earler here about a full blown wiring system.

I DID have the Hi-Line radio setup untill I foolishly whent for the DD unit, so now the question is....
Do I use the relay that came with the towbar electrics or is there a better way?
I do hate the scotch-lock way of joining cables so will not be doing that, but I need to be sure, a) not to upset the ECU's in the Rover and b) source the power for trailer battery charging/fridge etc., as well as split charge relays and the like.
The wiring diag in the Haynes is OK but not very concise.
Where would be the best place other from the front of the car to source main 12volt power?