PDA

View Full Version : Ztt Diesel Auto for tow car?

LANDGIRL
10th November 2007, 19:07
Hi Guys, not sure how popular I'm going to be but I've always lusted after a 75, and now I need a towcar and I'm thinking of a ZTT, good or bad idea ??

Dave Goody
10th November 2007, 19:22
Hi Guys, not sure how popular I'm going to be but I've always lusted after a 75, and now I need a towcar and I'm thinking of a ZTT, good or bad idea ??

Hi Landgirl, welcome to the club:lol: The ZTT is a fantastic towcar, are you looking for petrol or diesel? Both the Diesel and the 2.5 petrol are well up to large towing loads We need a few more lady members, Scooterchick and Tashax are around somewhere but we need some more female members to keep the fellows under control; Dave

tourerfogey
10th November 2007, 19:26
Hi Landgirl, welcome to the club:lol: The ZTT is a fantastic towcar, are you looking for petrol or diesel? Both the Diesel and the 2.5 petrol are well up to large towing loads We need a few more lady members, Scooterchick and Tashax are around somewhere but we need some more female members to keep the fellows under control; Dave

I thought one of the other regular posters on here was female too...
I'm not saying who in case I'm wrong....

ragitty
10th November 2007, 19:29
welcome Landgirl, your choice of car for towing is excellent, enjoy the forum everyone is friendly and there is tons of excellent tips and advice with regards our cars.:bowdown:

Keith
10th November 2007, 20:02
The ZTT V6 actually has a lower and closer gear ratio box so would make a good tow car apart from they don't have much low end grunt so you would be up and down the box constantly.
For serious towing either a 75 or ZT CDTi is the car I would choose in fact I did as I do tow a car transporter with cars on from time to time and I find the CDT very good at it ;)

GreyGhost
10th November 2007, 20:10
Hi Landy, welcome to the club and the forum.

ZTT Diesel would be your best bet if you are towing heavy loads on a regular basis, don't discount the V6 completely though, we have plenty of members towing pretty hefty caravans with that derivative. My personal choice would be the V6 Auto if regular use not required.

I am biased. :D

Dave Goody
10th November 2007, 20:41
Don't forget when you get your car to put the details i.e. ZTT CDTI on your profile + approx area e.g. Manchester, Bristol etc. as it saves everybody asking the questions when you post a problem or want to find local service garage etc. Dave PS. anyone else reading this please do the same:D

LANDGIRL
10th November 2007, 21:08
Thanks guys,

Got to be a diesel, auto would be best.

Will I have have much choice for about 8/10K?

GreyGhost
10th November 2007, 21:14
Will I have have much choice for about 8/10K?

Choice of just about any on the used market.

GreyGhost
10th November 2007, 21:21
First one I can come up with, just as an example.

http://essex.gumtree.com/essex/55/15722255.html

BTW for less than £300.00 these cars can be modified to give up to 170BHP rather than the designated 135 and tons more low down torque. See Roverrons ad. at the top of the page

LANDGIRL
10th November 2007, 21:24
Any probs to look out for? will have to be diesel.

Will it tow a caravan off a wet field?

GreyGhost
10th November 2007, 21:27
Not many diesel "propellor heads" on line at the mo' you'll be innundated with replies over the next day or so. :)
I'll alter the thread title slightly to attract the right attention. :)

Dave Goody
10th November 2007, 22:21
Any probs to look out for? will have to be diesel.

Will it tow a caravan off a wet field?

If uphill, the short answer is no;) but the same for any two wheel drive car.
The question is how much time do you spend towing?
I used to caravan a lot but only approx 5% of mileage. I bought a 4x4 and drove around at 24mpg for the other 95% of mileage as well which proved costly. If you are a member of the caravan club or camping club you will find them as helpfull as us. If you get stuck on a campsite there will always be a helpfull member to pull you onto the road so dont worry about this.
The ability to pull a caravan on wet grass once every 2 years is not a good reason to turn down a good safe handling car and buy a big heavy truck that will not handle or corner as safely on a wet road the rest of the time.
The diesels are great and as said can be tuned to give almost the same performance as the 2.5 petrols with a lot more torque. I have had 2 diesel 75s
and now have the 2.5 ZT [which uses as much fuel as a 4x4]:( go for the
ZTT 135 cdti, fit the roverron tuning box and you have the ultimate towing machine.:)
Dave

JohnDotCom
10th November 2007, 22:23
The Diesel will pull Heavy Loads off most surfaces unless of Course a 4 x 4 is required if it has turned to thick Mud.
I've not found Grass a Problem, just stick box in Winter Mode and will pull away easily, more so if you have a Synergy Modification to car.
Forgive my manners :welcome:.

Simon W
10th November 2007, 23:56
First one I can come up with, just as an example.

http://essex.gumtree.com/essex/55/15722255.html

No mileage mentioned there GG.

Here's a nice one Landgirl - only 13,500 miles and inside your price bracket. Probably not much use for towing though due to the engine size.

http://www.smc-cars.com/MG_Rover/UsedCars/view/9358

pondweed
11th November 2007, 07:37
I thought one of the other regular posters on here was female too...
I'm not saying who in case I'm wrong....

oh go on... who, who! (are they hiding behind a male moniker?)

or even monica, perhaps...

GreyGhost
11th November 2007, 09:09
No mileage mentioned there GG.

Here's a nice one Landgirl - only 13,500 miles and inside your price bracket. Probably not much use for towing though due to the engine size.

http://www.smc-cars.com/MG_Rover/UsedCars/view/9358

Lady wants a Diesel

pondweed
11th November 2007, 11:09
I would have thought that a Rover 75 Tourer (with narrowest 195 tyres) might be a better bet for towing on grass? or not?

tourerfogey
11th November 2007, 14:11
Certainly not - I've checked their profile and I was wrong. :o

Hampton Caught
11th November 2007, 14:30
Hi there and welcome to the Club!

I've towed my 5 berth caravan with my manual, diesel ZT-T for 2 summers now and have no regrets about changing from my diesel Discovery. Well, I say no regrets but that would be to forget about towing in South Devon this summer. The clutch worked hard on some hill starts and getting off the hilly, grassy site at the end of our stay was 'interesting'. Four wheel drive and a low ratio box would have been very helpful.

That trip aside, the MG makes a superbly comfortable, smooth, stable, economical and stylish tow car. We towed with four bikes on the roof and the boot loaded to the ceiling. It's worth looking to see if any potential purchase has a luggage net built into the loadspace cover. This enables you to load up to the ceiling, clip the luggage net into the roof without having your luggage joining your kids on the rear seats.

One minor point worth mentioning, the Rover 75 tourers could be specified with self-levelling rear suspensions, which would be an advantage and ride an inch or two higher than the MG, which is worth considering as our MG sits very low to the ground and the Witter towbar sits exposed below the rear bumper. You can fit spring assisters to either model, but overall I think the Rover models make slightly bettrer tow cars.

If you buy a car without a towbar already fitted, don't get the Witter set up. Buy the OEM 'Brink' towbar (which sits flush with the rear bumper) and invest in the OEM MG Rover electrics. These will cut off the reversing sensors if fitted (believe me, that's worth having), show the trailer's indicators flashing on the dashboard and also show you if a bulb has gone on the trailer.

Nose weight limit is 100 Kg which is excellent for this size of vehicle.

Steve

LANDGIRL
12th November 2007, 21:26
Hi, haven't found any ZTT's locally, but there is an 04 reg 75 2.0 Contemporary SE, with 5000 miles, what should I look out for and how does it differ from a Connoisseur ?
Cheers

pondweed
12th November 2007, 21:32
more like plush Ikea than John Lewis gentlemans lounge... you need to experience both to see which is more 'you'. Ask if it has self levelling suspension...
Is it still a diesel?

LANDGIRL
12th November 2007, 21:35
yes and auto and almost forgot, dark silver !!

pondweed
12th November 2007, 21:53
slightly higher tax class, (emissions-linked) and auto not as fuel efficient as manual diesel. Go and drive it. .. and find what its been doing all its life. Regular servicing? Small mileage is not necessarily good as may have been small journeys, not getting warmed up and putting most wear on components.

If its the one on autotrader without the pic, then it looks quite good value compared to the other autos... there are lots of interior pics on the other contemp se autos listed (one about the same price - private - is sold!)

Have a look at the racing green ZTT CDTi 07 plate in the for sale section here... for what, with some haggling, you could have for a thousand more!

JohnDotCom
12th November 2007, 21:56
I personally do not like the Contemporary SE over the Conn. SE.

As Standard it does Gain 17" Star Spoke Alloys, Harman Karden 180 Watt Sound System,. Rear Door Mounted Tweeters, CD 6 Disc AutoChanger, M3-100 CD Tuner with MP3 Playback (but I think its NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-!)

It losses the Plush Leather Seats for Leather faced Sports seats, Has Black Oak Finish and Steering Wheel, Instead of Light Oak (looks more Black than Wood?) All black Carpets and Door Cards, No Cruise Control, No Hi Line Sat Nav and TV (both Extras) Looses Chrome Door Mirrors for Body Colour.

There is a Pack that puts lots of things back on, Powerfold Mirrors, Light Wash, TV, Heated screen washers, ITS, Electric Glass Sunroof, Xenon gas Discharge Lights, Sports suspension, Spacesaver Spare Wheel, Battery back up sounder.

So check to see if it has this added Pack, and have a Look for yourself, Its a Cross between the MG and Rover 75, you either like the Interior or Not.

You may well love it and I hope you do, have a drive in Both Variants as it has a different suspension System to rest of 75 Range.

Frobs
13th November 2007, 07:31
Hi All,
Am looking for a ZT-T CDTi also. Had'nt thought of an auto box. But it seems that the likelihood of a manual clutch failure taking a grand out of my bank account at any particular time is putting me off a little. It seems the hydraulics are the weak point on the manual, not the mechanics - hence it is difficult to predict when is could fail. My driving style is sympathetic to cutches, but that may not help in this case.

So, Ive had a search to find what the features are on the auto - with little success. How many speeds ? What modes / tricks ? Is it OK for "spirited" driving. Does it have a torque converter lockup when cruising (ie should'nt take any more fuel than the manual when on the motorway)

Also - if I went for a manual, and had a clutch failure - how much would it cost to fit an auto box - or would that be a stupid idea ?

Frobs

JohnDotCom
13th November 2007, 07:39
The Automatic Box IMHO is a Great unit but is a lot thirstier than your manual one, average about 13% but does drink more on Local Town Runs.
I still average around the 44MPG on mixed driving more on Motorways.
It is a 5 Speed Auto box with a Sports Box Switchable which lets you run revs higher before change up, there is also a Winter Box switchable option which pulls away from 2nd gear and is effective.
You can drive very Spirited believe me. http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif
and with a Ron Box and other Mods GG felt it as quick if not quicker than his MG V6 when he took mine for a spin.
Just make sure Fluid is changed at Correct Mileage and with the RIGHT stuff.

kaiser
13th November 2007, 15:30
Having always liked manual boxes, I must admit that I like the automatic in the Rovers better and better. They can be exceptionally smooth, to the point that you don't notice what is going on. I also think that the diesel is the best option for towing, as the V6 is not known for its torque. However, with an autobox, the V6 would certainly cope, and cope well, as the autobox would do the job for you and (largely) compensate for the deficient torque.
Economy would be another issue, but sit down and do the maths. Depending on miles done, price of diesel/petrol and price of the car. You could be surprised.
And- good luck!

JohnDotCom
13th November 2007, 15:50
Automatic is £205 Per Year Diesel. or £112.75 for 6 Months (£225.50 Per Year).
Same Car first Registered Before 1ST March 2001 is £180 for 12 Months or £99 for 6 Months (£198 Per year)
So yes it is more than the manual Gearbox Version.

Manual: £140 for 12 months or £77 for 6 Months (Total £154 Per Year) if registered after 1st March 2001.
Strangely if Car registered before 1st March 2001 Road Tax now goes up to:
£180 for 12 Months or £99 for 6 months as it is now done on engine size for earlier cars not emmisssions. :D

see also here for all other rates etc: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524

Rates are exactly the same for CDT and more powerful CDTi engines.