PDA

View Full Version : Can I tow a caravan on a B licence....

TheHulk
27th June 2012, 15:49
I have tried to understand all the rules etc which comes with legally towing a caravan.....and it's clear as mud to me.
I have a B Licence as I passed my test after 1997. I have a 2003 1.8 16v ZT-T and need to know if I can purchase a caravan which will put me within the correct towing weights so I can legally tow a caravan without being over weight and therefore illegal. Hmmm

RPWC
27th June 2012, 17:48
You will need to take another test to tow a caravan,unless the COMBINED weight of your car and LADEN caravan,is under 3.5 tons. see here
http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_4020341.jpg
In this article reference is made to the maximum authorised mass (MAM) of vehicles and trailers. This should be taken to mean the permissible maximum weight, also known as the gross vehicle weight.
Category B: Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM and with up to eight passenger seats

Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.
For example:

a vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.25 tonnes could be driven by the holder of a category B entitlement. This is because the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and also the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle

Whereas

the same vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes when coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.5 tonnes would fall within category B+E. This is because although the combined weight of the vehicle and trailer is within the 3.5 tonnes MAM limit, the MAM of the trailer is more than the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle
Vehicle manufacturers normally recommend a maximum weight of trailer appropriate to their vehicle. Details can usually be found in the vehicle's handbook or obtained from car dealerships. The size of the trailer recommended for an average family car with an unladen weight of around 1 tonne would be well within the new category B threshold.

TheHulk
27th June 2012, 17:54
Thanks for your reply RPWC.
So the ZT-T is 1420kg unladen so as long as the caravan weighs less than 1.4 tonne is can be towed on a B Licence as its below 3.5 tonnes? Am I correct or totally wrong? :D

daddydobbo
27th June 2012, 18:12
dont forget to add the weight of all your passengers and a full tank of fuel and any luggage that will be carried it all adds to the gross weight of the car

TheHulk
27th June 2012, 19:01
dont forget to add the weight of all your passengers and a full tank of fuel and any luggage that will be carried it all adds to the gross weight of the car

I've been looking on Google and this site is very useful:-

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/22441/thinking%20of%20buying%20a%20touring%20caravan.pdf

Also it would only be a small 2 berth caravan and from looking at some on ebay they are no more than 750kg, I appreciate once packed this will increase but its not going to weigh more than the car and a car with myself, my missus and my 3 year old plus luggage and the caravan isn't going to be above 3.5 tonne.

RPWC
27th June 2012, 20:08
I've been looking on Google and this site is very useful:-

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/22441/thinking%20of%20buying%20a%20touring%20caravan.pdf

Also it would only be a small 2 berth caravan and from looking at some on ebay they are no more than 750kg, I appreciate once packed this will increase but its not going to weigh more than the car and a car with myself, my missus and my 3 year old plus luggage and the caravan isn't going to be above 3.5 tonne.

In that case you should be ok,bear in mind though,as your caravan equipment increases,and maybe the size of your family,you may wish to upgrade to a larger van,then you will need to take the B+E test.

tdi90
27th June 2012, 20:43
Car maximum weight added to the caravan maximum weight must be equal to, or less than 3500kg, and the caravan maximum weight must not be more than the kerb weight (empty weight) of the car.

eg:

My CDTi kerb weight = between 1510 & 1635kg
My CDTi Max weight = 2030kg
My caravan max weight = 1400kg

Which means:
1) The kerb weight of the car is more than the max weight of my caravan, so I can tow it :)
2) the max weight of the car is 2030kg + 1400kg of caravan = a total weight of 3430kg, so I can tow it as combined its under 3500kg :)

Towing weight limits are as follows according to my 2003 zt manual;
1.8 1200kg
2.0 1450kg
2.5 all bhp models except 180 (no data) 1600kg
2.o derv 1600kg

All models have a 100kg tow ball weight limit

slydog
29th June 2012, 20:32
im ok i got a hgv 1 lol

ROG.
3rd July 2012, 09:58
Car maximum weight added to the caravan maximum weight must be equal to, or less than 3500kg, and the caravan maximum weight must not be more than the kerb weight (empty weight) of the car.

eg:

My CDTi kerb weight = between 1510 & 1635kg
My CDTi Max weight = 2030kg
My caravan max weight = 1400kg

Which means:
1) The kerb weight of the car is more than the max weight of my caravan, so I can tow it :)
2) the max weight of the car is 2030kg + 1400kg of caravan = a total weight of 3430kg, so I can tow it as combined its under 3500kg :)

Towing weight limits are as follows according to my 2003 zt manual;
1.8 1200kg

All models have a 100kg tow ball weight limit
I have tried to understand all the rules etc which comes with legally towing a caravan.....and it's clear as mud to me.
I have a B Licence as I passed my test after 1997. I have a 2003 1.8 16v ZT-T and need to know if I can purchase a caravan which will put me within the correct towing weights so I can legally tow a caravan without being over weight and therefore illegal. Hmmm
Using the above info ....
The maximum actual weight of the caravan cannot be more than 1200 kgs as that is the towing capacity for a 1.8

The max caravan MPTLM cannot be more than 1510 using the lowest kerbweight figure but we now have to take the vehicle GVW from 3500 and see what that leaves us with - if lower than 1510 then we go by that lower figure