PDA

View Full Version : Sun visor illuminated mirror voltage?

Nomis
29th November 2006, 13:33
I am still in the process of fitting a pda to the sun visor (when I can find one).

What is the voltage of the light in it as thinking of making it easier install if I use the feed which currently feeds the light for the pda.

The pda car adapter is 12v dc 5.5v +/- 5% max 1000ma. I am thinking of fitting the little circuit board from the adapter inside the sun visor and connecting the input to the light connector hopefully. Saves messing with trim etc and the pda gets the correct input.

Simon.

raykay
29th November 2006, 14:16
It's 12 volts - but it the feed for the lamps is controlled from the BCU and is switched on when necessary, it is not a constant 12 volt supply.

Nomis
29th November 2006, 14:19
It's 12 volts - but it the feed for the lamps is controlled from the BCU and is switched on when necessary, it is not a constant 12 volt supply.

So it only has a feed when needed, ie when dark? Never tried it and noticed a light during the day.

Keith
29th November 2006, 15:58
No what Ray means is it may not be a fixed voltage if it works in the same way as the courtesy lights then the BCU pulses it on off on off very fast to extend bulb life

Anything driven by the BCU is definitely not something to use as a source for other equipment

Nomis
29th November 2006, 16:07
No what Ray means is it may not be a fixed voltage if it works in the same way as the courtesy lights then the BCU pulses it on off on off very fast to extend bulb life

Anything driven by the BCU is definitely not something to use as a source for other equipment

Ah I get it.

I will run a complete new cable then to another point. The electrical side of a car is not my strongest so I may just run it to the current cig lighter.

raykay
29th November 2006, 16:12
The information I had was from the Electrical Manual, but checking the circuit diagram, there is a 12v direct feed from the BCU to the the vanity mirrors on a Purple/Slate cable, but as it is from the BCU I don't know if it is suitable for what you want, I think I read somewhere that the interior and tail lights are fed from a PWM supply to keep the voltage constant.

Nomis
29th November 2006, 19:45
So do you think it is a no no wiring it up to that supply and best to find an alternative?

Simon.

Christopher
29th November 2006, 19:54
So do you think it is a no no wiring it up to that supply and best to find an alternative?

Simon.

Not a good idea as you will be putting a drain on the BCU, and could blow something ... best not to chance it!

Nomis
29th November 2006, 20:41
Not a good idea as you will be putting a drain on the BCU, and could blow something ... best not to chance it!

Oh well, a shame as would have made it easier. I will bish bash bosh a connection somewhere else then! Lol.