PDA

View Full Version : Wing Mirrors

Chuckles
2nd July 2012, 07:58
Although I mainly use my Classic 1980's American Airstream MH, I want to start using our old Vanroyce 520ET, another old'n. I have had it for nearly 20 years now and it is about time she saw the light of day!

I am in the process of fitting the wiring loom to the detachable TB, but realise that my old mirrors probably will not fit the Rover’s wing mirrors.
Any idea where I could get some? Not bothered about these new EU stipulations and bureaucratic mirrors, that desk bound, pin headed, uneducated moron...... I’ll stop there... :bowdown: (in case I upset someone - you understand):D:D

I love an argument with powers to be (or think they be) and I hate convention, so none EU/bureaucratic mirrors would suite me fine.
Keeping in tune with the period of the car is more important :o

windrush
2nd July 2012, 08:24
I use Milenco Grand Aero mirrors on my 75 ,I have been caravanning since 1967 when I brought my first caravan a Sprite 400 and I have found that the above mirrors are by far the best that I have ever used

DerekS
2nd July 2012, 08:43
Towsures' with rubber straps.
But as with any make, they stick out , so I make them more visible by painting them a bright colour (instead of the black plastic). If the paint wont adhere then use 'cowboy streamers', coloured plastic strips etc. Anything to draw attention to the extra width. After all, safety is more important than looks, innit. :D

HarryM1BYT
2nd July 2012, 12:47
I carry a pair of mirrors in the boot, just to prove I got have them, but I never use them.

I find them extremely clumsy, especially on narrow roads and I can see all I need to see through the standard mirrors plus the view in the interior mirror through the van. All you need to do is take advantage of the bends in the road to have a good look back to know what is happening behind on the appropriate side.

Chuckles
2nd July 2012, 16:16
Harry, I share your thoughts on mirrors. One can never see properly as they do tend to vibrate a bit any way.

My Vanroyce is quite narrow and I dont really need them, but ol' plod is always looking for an excuse to nab you!

That is why I love driving my Airstream, They just don't know what to say or complain about :D:D particularly if I am towing our Chrysler PT cruiser on the American 'Blue-Ox' system, that is just two HT alluminum bars that extend from the RV to the car - that foxes 'em ;)

HarryM1BYT
2nd July 2012, 17:36
Harry, I share your thoughts on mirrors. One can never see properly as they do tend to vibrate a bit any way.

My Vanroyce is quite narrow and I dont really need them, but ol' plod is always looking for an excuse to nab you!

Which is why I always have them in the boot. If I am stopped, I can fix the 'issue' on the spot and my excuse is I simply forgot or had to remove them to get through a narrow gap ;)

reworht
2nd July 2012, 19:32
If, amongst other hens' teeth :D, you can find a set of the genuine Rover towing mirrors, they are rock steady, fit like a glove, and once you've got them set up, they don't need adjusting, even after being removed and refitted. Best ever purchase off Ebay!

Chuckles
8th July 2012, 13:29
:DThat's the ones I was thinking about.... So they are good are they?:D

reworht
8th July 2012, 14:28
They ARE absolutely brilliant - but they really are in short supply - I was incredibly lucky to get mine for a knockdown price. If you can wait about 8 years - I'll sell them on when I quit caravanning :D
Seriously, all you can do is keep looking on Ebay etc. - eventually, some more will come up

actros
9th July 2012, 10:30
They ARE absolutely brilliant - but they really are in short supply - I was incredibly lucky to get mine for a knockdown price. If you can wait about 8 years - I'll sell them on when I quit caravanning :D
Seriously, all you can do is keep looking on Ebay etc. - eventually, some more will come up:iagree:what he has said as i have them to and they are great.

pm77
9th July 2012, 12:37
Yep, Ebay is your best bet. Bought mine separately about 3 months apart. But like has been said, got more chance of finding rocking horse poo:p

Chuckles
9th July 2012, 15:51
Good job I am not in a hurry then :D

So eBay it is, and here of course, some kind R75 owner/ex-owner may have some:o

Stiil; I have to do some major work on the VanRoyce before I use it again - front off job :(

Thank you all for your advice and comments - very much appreciated.

pm77
11th July 2012, 08:20
I forgot to mention, the rover mirrors aren't 75 specific. They will fit any x5 model including bullet and skullcap. So don't just search for 75 mirrors, 25 and 45 are the same part and will fit.

Regards

PM77

windrush
11th July 2012, 08:28
I did have some of those mirrors but did not like them and I gave them to the club for a raffle at a National meet. The Milenco Grand Aero mirror is much superior and IMHO after 45 years of caravanning can not be beaten

Chuckles
25th July 2012, 19:51
I bow to your experience with these mirrors, although I do prefer the look of the "Propper Job"!

I have had my old strap-on's for about 40 years now and all was well untill I tried to fit them to the Rover, They just refused to sit comfortably and jamed against the mirror glass of the fitted mirrors. I was wondering if the Milenco Grand Aero mirror would do that also?

Windrush? any reference to those lovely caravans?

Melboy
31st July 2012, 16:22
This is only my second post - hope I've got the links right

Rover original towing mirrors part no CRB108270
Available at South Lakeland Mini Centre @ £11.61

http://www.southlakesminis.co.uk/mirroraccessory-towing-crb108270-p-65427.html

Rimmers have an illustration @
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-CRB108270

reworht
31st July 2012, 17:19
Snap their hands off - that is a seriously good price. I've seen them go for over £30 a pair second hand on Ebay!

Chuckles
1st August 2012, 08:23
Phoned them this morning - No stock, and not likely either :mad:

£30???? Did you see the latest??? £98 - but I am sure that was a scam:confused:

ssizefive
1st August 2012, 11:55
I paid £40 for mine & am quite happy with them.

Steve.