PDA

View Full Version : Email on Smartphones

The_Monk
15th November 2007, 14:34
I know a few of you guys have smartphones but do any of you use the email? I've just got myself a Nokia 9300 cheap off ebay and have been setting up the email. I wanted to set it up with my btconnect account so merrily put in all the details, tested the sending, worked! fab! Came to retrieve the message and it wouldnt have it! Kept timing out!

I did a setup with nokia and they text the settings for the account straight to my phone and it works perfectly! The only thing is I had a sneak peak at the settings to see what I did wrong and it is using smtp.o2.co.uk as an outgoing email server. It was working fine with mail.btconnect.com but am I going to be charged any extra or less using the O2 server?

My mind boggles! Although getting email on the move is rather efficient and very cool!

JohnDotCom
15th November 2007, 14:41
It generally runs through with who ever your Mobile Account is with, but you should with most be able to use who you want (at a charge sometimes).
It is chargeable of course and not always in your Free allowed minutes etc, so I would advise you to check it out.

Greeners
15th November 2007, 14:45
On my PDA, the incoming and out going servers are the same as my desktop ISP.

hth

Steven D
15th November 2007, 14:46
Hmmm... not sure on that one.

I know that BT will not allow outgoing mails via their smtp servers, i.e. you can't send mail by any other addresses than your [email protected] or [email protected]. You can receive from any other account though without problem. I had endless problems doing my 'work's' e-mails from home which had my works server domain name. I could receive on it but no chance sending through it. Tried everything, every setting possible but no go.

I would assume that 02 will charge you for those mails as it's using their own smtp outgoing server. Mind you - they will be charging you for the airtime sending your BT mail out so you will need to check what the additional charges are from 02 as they may be reasonable.

I really fancy a 9300. Bit of a brick but a nice bit of kit. I usually use a Lifedrive linked to my phone or WiFi but it's internal hard disk has just croaked.... Oops....

Hope this has been of some use if nothing else but a gripe at BT for their SMTP servers !

Cheers

Steven

The_Monk
15th November 2007, 15:00
Thanks guys will give them a ring and see what they are going to charge me for!

If its any extra i'll put it back to the BT one!