PDA

View Full Version : Don't you just love Windows sometimes...

Simon
17th November 2007, 22:17
...Like now, for example. I have a few DivX movies on DVD I wanted to transfer back to my harddrive for ease of access but Windows refuses to load the DVD's. Instead Windows explorer just crashed on me leaving me to Control+Alt+Delete to regain control and restart Explorer.

NB: This is not internet explorer by the way, this is the Windows Explorer for your files and drives etc.

Tried 3 out of 8 discs now and all seem to be the same... :(

JohnDotCom
17th November 2007, 22:28
It don't like DivX, may be just as easy to copy whole disk to folder on Hard drive. :D
Dependent on OS Version you may need a Plug In to Play.
I forgot to "finish/close" some DVD's I'd recorded recently, what a Pain couldn't open them!

Simon
17th November 2007, 22:31
It's not just the DivX wont play... it's the whole disc - Explorer just crashes when it tries to access them... Rather frustrating. The discs have been kept in good condition away from dust/dirt/heat and all yet they now seem to ****** the system up..... :shrug:

I know the DVD drive is in perfect working order and at the same time my PC is the most up-to-date in the house and knocks everything else for six so if my PC wont access the discs then I dare say the other two (one PC, one laptop) wont really stand much chance either....

Oh well. Guess I'll have to buy the propper DVD's of these movies ;) :D

Tom Collins
17th November 2007, 22:35
Sir, I have not the faintest idea about the new fangled atrocities of which you speak.
Please inform us of your woes in the Queens English, refering of course only to Dr Johnsons Dictionary, and then in due course we, as your peers will, with utmost dipatch, aid you in any way we can.

PS, after imibing several substances this evening, I find myself at a loose end after half a bottle of the finest port.

JohnDotCom
17th November 2007, 22:45
You haven't also been mowing the Grass and putting it in your Pipe have you? :D

Simon
17th November 2007, 22:50
Well good Sir Tom, my problem is this:
I have one of those new-fangled computation devices on which I wish to transfer a collection of artefacts from their current impractical location unto the splender my computational device. I am unfortunate in this quest to be met by obsticals that I cannot cross. These obsticals that I speak of seem to stem from my computational devices inability to decipher the ancient and archaic uniscript language that is embossed - in microscopic form - upon several circular artefacts. I believe the computational devices methods for dechiphering this conundrum are flawed in that the founding member of my computational device, a certain Lord William Gates has failed to encompass all possibilities in his attempts to construct his ideal computational device.

Yours Sincerely
Simon, esquire.

JohnDotCom
17th November 2007, 22:54
Or in the Language for the Young Herberts, "Its F*****"

Tom Collins
17th November 2007, 22:59
Ah yes, I'm with you now. Let's face it, you're bu@@ered.
If you need any further advice, please contact my gardener, at the end of the day, he knows all there is to know about compost and other related issues.
Glad to be of service, invoice in post and all that..........

The Bear
18th November 2007, 08:57
Have you tried a Divx player to access the disks this will prove both the content and drive are working.

carlpenn
22nd November 2007, 22:12
As "The Bear" says, you can download a DivX Player also, you can download the Codecs for Windows Media Player, this should stop the crashes - I had the same problem with a couple of DVD's earlier this year.

JohnDotCom
22nd November 2007, 22:27
The Anti Copying software sometimes causes that to. :D

carlpenn
22nd November 2007, 22:50
The Anti Copying software sometimes causes that to. :D

Yes :(

My Wife bought me "Aerosmiths Greatest Hits" a couple of years ago, I cannot even put it in the CD Rom as it freezes my PC.......Anti Piracy measure that never took off.........

BMC123
23rd November 2007, 00:22
Put disc in, close the drawer while holding down the left shift key until disc stops spinning.

;)