PDA

View Full Version : Cooling Fan Cut-In

Shapfell
18th July 2012, 19:31
Okay, quick one here; what is the temp for the cooling fan to cut in on a 1.8 normally aspirated engine? I ask, because I have just done the head gasket (the old one was a MLS set but the through bolts seemed to come out very easily... hmmmmm) and watching the diagnostics mine cuts in at 112-113 deg C. Is this right?

roversean
18th July 2012, 20:47
Hi , Mine is the Turbo version 1.8 and my fan comes on at 105degs and shuts off again at about 95 degs, which is about right i think
Sean

pab
18th July 2012, 21:12
Okay, quick one here; what is the temp for the cooling fan to cut in on a 1.8 normally aspirated engine? I ask, because I have just done the head gasket (the old one was a MLS set but the through bolts seemed to come out very easily... hmmmmm) and watching the diagnostics mine cuts in at 112-113 deg C. Is this right?Looking at the age of your car,2005 it will be fitted with the later type Fan with a resistor which is visible at 2 O'clock viewed through the grill.

It sounds as if the Resistor has failed,allowing the high speed of the fan for rapid cooling.

Select Auto with a low temperature setting and a cold engine this should trigger the low speed of the fan or confirm the above.

With a 1.8 I would suggest have the fan repaired,the heat range the engine is subjected to,is above stress levels.

COLVERT
18th July 2012, 21:13
That does seem to be a tad too high. :(

raykay
18th July 2012, 21:14
According to the manual:

With the engine running, between 98 and 104 degrees the fan should run at slow speed, between 105 and 112 degrees it should run at high speed.

With the engine stopped, the fan should run at high speed if it is over 112 degrees.

Jules
18th July 2012, 21:18
Sounds like only high speed working.
If no resistor fitted new motor maybe your only solution :smilie_re:

chrissyboy
18th July 2012, 21:56
i agree it too sounds to me like the high speed fan is the only one working .the fan should come on around 105c then off when it drops to around 96c. the head will be very hot and i suspect the fan runs on after you switch the car off .sounding a bit like a hover craft . .if you look through the grille at the 2 o/clock position you should see a resistor .this will need changing for the uprated one that jules sells .

Arctic
19th July 2012, 00:44
Okay, quick one here; what is the temp for the cooling fan to cut in on a 1.8 normally aspirated engine? I ask, because I have just done the head gasket (the old one was a MLS set but the through bolts seemed to come out very easily... hmmmmm) and watching the diagnostics mine cuts in at 112-113 deg C. Is this right?

To check for low speed press demist only it will show if the fan is working onlow speed or not also check to see if you have the two speed fan with silver resistor because even though you have a 05 plate i have seen 04/05 plate with the three speed fans fitted, dont forget they would be using up stock at that time ;)

You will be looking for one of these if it as the resistor in silver loking through the fan blades if its there the last pic is what you need to change it for you could get help with this if you can get to the Wolverhampton nano this weekend 21st & 22nd july . Arctic ;)
http://www.wolverhamptonnanomeets.com/last-meet.html

Shapfell
19th July 2012, 20:29
Ta guys.... need a new resistor then. Yes, the temp drops like a stone from 113 to 91... not good. Do you have a link for them?

Jules
19th July 2012, 20:57
I thought my shop link in my Signature below would have been a hint for you :)

Jules
19th July 2012, 21:37
I'm feeling generous tonight chaps.
The resistors are on offer @ £10 including connectors & glue lined sleeving etc. :smilie_re:

Shapfell
20th July 2012, 10:53
....yeah, sorry, long day, brain not functioning. Anyway, cash sent for one.