PDA

View Full Version : Door Handle

Radreaga
29th November 2006, 21:10
Hi
can anyone help my n/s rear door handle has developed a problem over the last few days at first it were just stiff to open as if it need lubricating inside then today it stoped working. I can open the door from inside the car,the handle seems siff on the outside but it will not open the door.
Regards Ray

Radreaga
30th November 2006, 18:04
Hi I sorted it out today sprayed some teflon oil into the door handle works perfectly now. did all the other doors thought it cant do no harm.
Regards Ray

Kandyman
30th November 2006, 18:08
Hi Ray,

Thanks for updateing us, i need to have a go at my doors some time soon i think.

Simon
1st December 2006, 20:35
Ray - what's Teflon oil and where do you get it from? Is it similar to WD40?

Teflon oil is similar to WD-40 in that they are both lubricants. Teflon oil has added non-stick particles in it (the stuff they use on cookware and such like). The Tefon's there to help with lubrication basically.

WD-40 acts more as "frees up sticking parts" lubricant and Teflon oil helps more with "long-term lubrication". Choose whichever you think is more suited for the application. In this case (sticking door handle) the Teflon oil will provide a more long-term lubrication whereas the WD-40 doesn't have much longetivity but is great at short-term fixes (ie, removing bicycle grips from handlebars then evaporating)

Hope this helps.

baxlin
2nd December 2006, 08:16
Simon, is it branded as Teflon, if not, what brand/product do we look for?

TIA

Malcolm

Simon W
2nd December 2006, 20:31
Ditto the previous post - plus who sells Teflon?

Ken
2nd December 2006, 20:40
Ditto the previous post - plus who sells Teflon?

Cycle shops and sporting gun shops :)

Ken

Simon
2nd December 2006, 21:44

Ken

Yup. Also I think some automotive stores may carry stock so it's always worth asking.

Teflon is a registered trademark of DuPont (the company that originally got the copyright liscence to produce non-stick things, such as Teflon)

The name Teflon has become some what of a generic term for non-stick substances, so if you ask for "Teflon" then the shop assistants should know what your talking about...

Hope this helps!

MartinW
3rd December 2006, 13:56
There's also a Dutch based company trading as Interflon, selling dubious aftermarket additives using "Teflon", and licensed to do so, but they also produce aerosols and similar DIY oils.
http://www.interflon.com/index.asp?hmenu=uk

Simon W
4th December 2006, 09:42
I'll see if they have any in Halfords Ken (being a bike shop as well).

'Fin Super' seems to be the Interflon equivalent to WD40 but no prices or shop on their website.

M47Rman
4th December 2006, 12:57

Ken

I think they also call this stuff dry lube, as a generic term. I believe it is the sort of stuff I used to use on my racing bike chain years ago, as it does not leave any oil residue to come off on your trousers! Any decent bike shop should know about the stuff (so this may not include Halfords).
Andy

Simon
4th December 2006, 20:20
Any decent bike shop should know about the stuff (so this may not include Halfords).
Andy

:laughing2:

How very true! :rofl: :D

Kandyman
5th December 2006, 08:45
I think the shop is good, theres always one handy to pop in to and they stock a lot of bits & bobs, i always like a walk about the shop seeing whats out there.

The trouble is there staffed by young kids most the time who don't appear to know anything about the stock there selling or how to look / treat customers. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/huepfen/jumping-smiley-006.gif

andy
5th December 2006, 11:27
Have alook at -
strauss-direct.co.uk
go into tools and materials
then sprays
and there is something for every ailment you might have or could imagine having !
good company, service is first class, stuff is at fair prices (amazingly cheap sometimes )
Only downside is minimum order for free delivery and don't forget prices are ex vat

Be careful of being too liberal with Teflon spray, it is very good but can leave white marks on trim, door seals etc which are by the nature of the product almost impossible to remove

Happy Shopping

Andy

biggles
6th December 2006, 07:23
I'll definitely try some teflon spray on my handles and locks. I have the classic semi-sticking central locks on two doors. I took it to the shop where they made an attempt at greasing it up and actually drilling up the pin holes in the doors. And it does work better - from a failure rate of 3/4 to 1/4.

My bicycle chain spray seem to be teflon based. That'll probably do.

/Erik

Simon W
6th December 2006, 08:41
Have alook at -
strauss-direct.co.uk
go into tools and materials
then sprays
and there is something for every ailment you might have or could imagine having !
good company, service is first class, stuff is at fair prices (amazingly cheap sometimes )
Only downside is minimum order for free delivery and don't forget prices are ex vat

Be careful of being too liberal with Teflon spray, it is very good but can leave white marks on trim, door seals etc which are by the nature of the product almost impossible to remove

Happy Shopping

Andy

Andy - which one do you think is best for the door handles/locks?

TEFLON SPRAY
MULTI-PURPOSE SPRAY
SILICONE SPRAY
CHAIN SPRAY
OTHER

andy
6th December 2006, 11:41
Andy - which one do you think is best for the door handles/locks?

TEFLON SPRAY
MULTI-PURPOSE SPRAY
SILICONE SPRAY
CHAIN SPRAY
OTHER

Just to complicate things , what I would really recomend is a product called
SP-90 made by action can ltd. it is a dry silicone spray/release agent
We use it a lot on our woodworking kit and cutters, it drys and remains super slippery without being wet/sticky like WD40 type products. I pay about 5.50 plus vat for a 500ml can from a local fixings merchant
Action Can tel no. 01942 713667
It's great plus is it doesn't appear to mark trim etc. I use it for door seals, window guides, locks etc (have also 'cured' squeaking dash/trim etc by just giving a liberal spray in the direction of the suspect item)
I do all my door seals/locks/ keys, caravan window seals etc. with it, stops them sticking/freezing
Sprayed a liberal amount down my interior locking buttons (with a cloth 'dam/shield' held round them to catch the overspray ) when the rear offside was getting a bit 'reluctant' - appears to have well sorted it !
Andy

andy
6th December 2006, 11:59
Just done a search, it would appear Action Can have a website actioncan.com
not very informative though
Andy

buzzard
7th January 2010, 23:49
I know this is late but I've just come across this thread and I used to work for ICI who made a non stick (really it's a low friction coating) product called "Fluon" Dupont have a simular product called "Teflon" they are both made from PolyTetraFluroEthelene or P.T.F.E. for short This stuff is as close to zero friction as is possible at the moment
It has been used quite a bit in lubricants or additives Slick 50 engine treatment for instance also any plumbers will have come across it for sealing threaded connectors (white ptfe tape) aside from non stick pans it is used in bearings a lot and non load bearing low friction requirement applications