PDA

View Full Version : clutch woes

stef_uk
29th November 2006, 22:31
well lost my gears the other day due to the hydraulic clutch and fearing the worse,thought i was in for a big bill for a new slave and clutch...dropped it of this morning with the moths in my wallet shivering with fear.....went to pick it up after work...gulped asked how she was...only to be told fine...didn't need anything other than a fluid drain/clean and refill....GASP...couldn't believe it.
So a warning to you who have this problem...check first that its not just fluid that had degraded and become black mush before you take it to a garage who will agree that it all needs replacing...luckily my mechanic is as honest as the day is long ...which is so rare nowadays...

also he changed the rear pads as ther pad warning light had come on,and he checked the sensors which were in good working order...the problem is my dash light remains on....do i need to plug the car into the rover comp to swith this of or is there another fault?

thx stef:hurray:

Simon
29th November 2006, 23:30
Wear sensors will be the cause of the dash light. So, either another pad is wearing down or the mechanic hasn't quite fitted the new ones correctly. May be a case of simply taking them off, cleaning the connections and re-fitting (often fixes most faults)

If none of the above work, try disconecting the battery for a few moments to 'reset' the car (make sure you have your radio code and that if you have the nav system installed that it is properly shut down before you disconnect).

If all else fails... let us know and we'll have to think of another solution ;)

stef_uk
30th November 2006, 23:05
ok will do thx for that

Mike
1st December 2006, 06:04
If the dash pad low light came on then it's a fair bet the sensor is knackered as that is how the sensor works.

And, if he checked the sensor (not sure how:confused: ) then in any case it will now be knackered as they are one time use only.

Mike

andrewmsteve
1st December 2006, 14:41
Hi brake sensors should allways be changed if the light has come on asthey work by wearing through the surface if pads are exchanged before this happens then you may use the old ones

Simon
1st December 2006, 20:09
Stef, just reading through your first post again and I've noticed that you don't actually say that the sensors were replaced. I was assuming that they had been on my first reply.

Note to self: read posts properly! :twonk:

As Mike and AndrewMSteve says you need to change the sensors at the same time as the pads.