PDA

View Full Version : Insurance?

Les4048
24th July 2012, 20:31
A question for caravan experts. I was planning to buy a caravan but was told if I'm towing it it has to be insured separately from the car! True or false ?

scorpio stu
25th July 2012, 01:12
I think it's true..sorry I know that's not much help

Les4048
25th July 2012, 04:33
I think it's true..sorry I know that's not much help

Thought it may be true as it was a traffic policeman that told my daughter. She's friends with his wife so wasn't sure if it was a wind up :getmecoat:

HarryM1BYT
25th July 2012, 04:58
Your traffic policeman is wrong. The only insurance available for a caravan or trailer etc. is a separate theft policy. There is no requirement to insure a caravan for use on the road, as you would a car, because on the road it is covered by the towing vehicles insurance and road fund license. All of which means that the trailer must remain attached to the vehicle whilst ever it is on a public road.

You must advise your cars insurers if you have a towbar fitted, because it is a modification, but I have never been charged any extra for it. There is no requirement to advise them you will be towing or what you will be towing.

sikelsh
25th July 2012, 09:25
Your traffic policeman is wrong. The only insurance available for a caravan or trailer etc. is a separate theft policy. There is no requirement to insure a caravan for use on the road, as you would a car, because on the road it is covered by the towing vehicles insurance and road fund license. All of which means that the trailer must remain attached to the vehicle whilst ever it is on a public road.

You must advise your cars insurers if you have a towbar fitted, because it is a modification, but I have never been charged any extra for it. There is no requirement to advise them you will be towing or what you will be towing.

What Harry Said :)

Number 6
25th July 2012, 17:44
The only insurance available for a caravan or trailer etc. is a separate theft policy. There is no requirement to insure a caravan for use on the road, as you would a car, because on the road it is covered by the towing vehicles insurance and road fund license:shrug:

A road fund license???? since when have caravans needed a R/F/L:shrug:

windrush
26th July 2012, 08:02
Harry is 100% correct

Les4048
26th July 2012, 17:13
Thanks Harry. I thought it was a bit ott :D

johnc54
4th August 2012, 17:54
I think that whilst attached to your vehicle it has Third party cover only so no cover for fire/theft or accident damage. A separate policy for the caravan will provide this "comprehensive" cover.

eurorover
5th August 2012, 23:38
It is only covered if hitched up to the car. if it came off the tow ball going down the road and hit another car and you dont have insurance on you caravan then it will be coming out of your pocket

HarryM1BYT
5th August 2012, 23:48
It is only covered if hitched up to the car. if it came off the tow ball going down the road and hit another car and you dont have insurance on you caravan then it will be coming out of your pocket

There is no such thing as Road Traffic Act cover for a trailer. It would still be covered by your car's insurance.