PDA

View Full Version : Advice on aircon Rover 75 conn diesel saloon

brandon666
28th July 2012, 12:06
First of all may I say what a great resource this is-well worth £10! I have searched many strands but would appreciate a knowlegable old hand giving me a few pointers.
I recently bought my 2003 75 and was told the air con wasn't working. The previous owner had had it recharged and there were no leaks but was advised that the cause could be a myriad of things and he decided to have it emptied and just not use it.
My meagre understanding is that this is not a sound idea!
I believe I may have the 3 speed fan motor as can see nothing at the 2 O'clock position behind the fan. My temperature stays steady at 9 O'clock but gather this is a wide temperature range and tells little.
My question is - do I need to have the air con refilled before testing the fan speeds etc or will this not affect any of the diagnostics described here. I am confused from having read many links whether an empty system may automatically turn off the compressor and fan, in which case any diagnosis seems impossible without recharging. Apologies for my ignorance but I am more than a little confused.:shrug:
The car is performing brilliantly and very economical so I wish to avoid any problems caused by neglect. Any tips would be welcome.
I am in South Wales by the way!

pevil
28th July 2012, 13:13
Hello John, You are quiet right if the A/C gas is low or empty the fail safe will prevent the aircon pump from working, I think you can test the fan though, see this link http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=35567
I used a paper clip to check mine, it wasn't working when I got the car (low on gas) I've since had to replace the condenser as it was shot, common problem, did that yesterday with the help of a mobile A/C man so hopefully all will be well now, best of luck and you should find most things on this site, if not just ask. Cheers.