PDA

View Full Version : My rust problem solved!

Simon
30th November 2006, 20:13
Having bought my car back at begining of September I unfortunately noticed rust on the sills a couple of weeks later :(

Having researched a few local garages for prices for fixing said rust I have now got sufficient funds to get it done.

Now, here comes a funny story with a very happy ending: This morning I was looking through my service book (as you do) and noticed that the service done (prior to me collecting the car) by the dealership had the "anti-corrosion inspection" box ticked.
"Hmmm", I thought, "If they have done said inspection then either somone missed the rust (not good for dealership) or that they failed to inform me of rust (even more not good for dealership)." :confused:
So later on this morning I went to the garage and bought this up with them. The service manager came out and had a look at my car, asked when I bought it and said, "Oh dear. Well. The anti-corrosion warranty has obviously expired because MG-Rover are no more. But, on the other hand, you've only had the car from us about six or seven weeks now". :(
And I thought "He's going to say something like 'That will be £300 to fix, sir' " :mad:

But he didn't.... :eek:
Instead he said "We'll book it in for you. Get it sorted. On us." :eek: :lol:
So, next week my car is going to get it's rust sorted. For free! :D
And to think I was going to book it into another garage and pay someone to do the work. :eek: :o This is the best bit of luck I've had all year! :p: :D

Let's hope this dealership can provide me with much more good service when I return to them for services, etc in the future. :pepsi::driving:

Tatts
30th November 2006, 20:19
Fantastic stuff!

Makes a pleasant change to hear positive comments about a dealer, especially after what Commodore is going through.

JP53
30th November 2006, 20:37
Sounds like you've got yourself a very good dealership there Simon.

Simon
30th November 2006, 20:52
It's funny because the dealership (now selling Ford cars) was always a Rover/MG garage for as long as I can remember and it was a first saw ZT cars when they were launched all those years ago. It was also the place I looked at buying a ZR, but couldn't really afford one at the time, so ended up with a second-hand Astra instead.

Bet me and the guy in the spares department will soon be on first-name terms owing to the amount of times I've been in asking for prices for stuff and all! :p:

Alex30013k
30th November 2006, 20:57
But do you know why it was rusting in the first place?

Simon
30th November 2006, 21:02
But do you know why it was rusting in the first place?

I think it was originally caused by poor finish of the anti-corrosion paint underneath the top-coat. Stone chips have obviously not helped and if the anti-corrosion paint was too thin then the stones would've gotten through it easier.

On this matter, I was thinking if there was some sort of protective vinyl (or similar) I could apply to the sills after they have been sorted to help prevent this from happening in the future... Anyone heard of anything like this?

stef_uk
30th November 2006, 23:21
what about some nice side skirts?.....good looks and sill protection in one :)

windrush
1st December 2006, 06:35
Its nice to hear some good news from a dealership for a change