PDA

View Full Version : Got it rust-proofed!

biggles
1st December 2006, 06:53
Yesterday I picked up my 75 from a three day session at the rust proofing shop. Hopefully it will make it more resistant to the awful swedish winter road conditions. They hava a habit of using a lot of salt in the southern parts.

The proofing guys were unable to find any rust to speak of despite the car being a '99 model. :) Not having being driven at wintertime by the previous owner has of course helped.

/Erik

Tatts
1st December 2006, 07:22
What did they do to your car? 3 days? Sounds like a lot of work.

There is a scheme that a few here are taking up in the near future, as you may have already seen.

Is it anything similar to that?

windrush
1st December 2006, 08:28
Yea I am a bit worried now about Three Days As I understand it will take about 5 hours with rustmaster

Tatts
1st December 2006, 08:37
Yea I am a bit worried now about Three Days As I understand it will take about 5 hours with rustmaster

It is about 5 hours with Rustmaster.

The OP is in Sweden.

biggles
1st December 2006, 12:42
What did they do to your car? 3 days? Sounds like a lot of work.

There is a scheme that a few here are taking up in the near future, as you may have already seen.

Is it anything similar to that?

I was inspired by the group effort you have going here, but britain is a bit far. :)

I think they did pretty standard stuff: Spraywaxing of cavities and havier stuff on the underwork. The reason for it taking three days is that they want the car to be completely dry after the rather thorough washing session. They wash it early day 1, let it dry in a warm place overnight and then apply the rustproofing day two after which the want another night to let that dry or whatever.

Most places I called wanted two or three days to get the job done properly. I paid about 500 euros for it.

/Erik

Spôôk
1st December 2006, 14:30
I can second that.

I had my 02/2006 reg. R75 treated 2 weeks ago. That was a 2 day job done by Dinitrol (don't know if they exist in the UK). It is actually a double treatment, thus the 2 days. Not sure how they do it, but they guarantee 12 years, with bi-annual checks.

However, after the treatment it STINKS for weeks. Almost over that now.

Spôôk

crofts
1st December 2006, 23:25
I can second that.

I had my 02/2006 reg. R75 treated 2 weeks ago. That was a 2 day job done by Dinitrol (don't know if they exist in the UK). It is actually a double treatment, thus the 2 days. Not sure how they do it, but they guarantee 12 years, with bi-annual checks.

However, after the treatment it STINKS for weeks. Almost over that now.

Spôôk

While I tend to use quite a lot of Waxoyl I consider Dinitrol a better product
though quite expensive. So I have it in an oil can and squirt it through the drain holes at the bottom of doors and the front edge of bonnet and bottom of tail-gate / boot lid. Being much thinner I believe it creeps better into the rolled seams. I agree, it certainly has a distinctive smell but passes fairly quickly.