PDA

View Full Version : News from the dark side...

Dashiel
27th August 2012, 18:25
I expect most of you are already aware, but on one of the other forums that concern our cars the owner sold his stake to an Internet company, according to a statement on their website. He will continue to manage it the same.
So not a lot of interest there.
But what I did find interesting was the rest of the statement, that implied that the future lay with chinese mg, and rover was 'dormant', a polite way of saying dead really. It seemed to be really turning a page on rover, which I found to be sad and disheartening. It seems that as mg rover slips further into people's memories, the only thing keeping it alive will be enthusiasts. From what I have seen of the Chinese cars, the new models appear to be bland grey box wares for the north american / far east markets, with no mg styling. It seems to me it is still too early to embrace the new Chinese mg. they still have to prove themselves.

mark d3
27th August 2012, 19:24
I expect most of you are already aware, but on one of the other forums that concern our cars the owner sold his stake to an Internet company, according to a statement on their website. He will continue to manage it the same.
But what I did find interesting was the rest of the statement, that implied that the future lay with chinese mg, and rover was 'dormant', a polite way of saying dead really. It seemed to be really turning a page on rover, which I found to be sad and disheartening. It seems that as mg rover slips further into people's memories, the only thing keeping it alive will be enthusiasts. From what I have seen of the Chinese cars, the new models appear to be bland grey box wares for the north american / far east markets, with no mg styling. It seems to me it is still too early to embrace the new Chinese mg. they still have to prove themselves.

i also read the same statement,i think the owner is looking to the future with new MG products,but MGR cars are going to be with us for a long time yet

ViT
27th August 2012, 20:47
Meh, Where one forum closes another booms :D

I'm not worried about what any of the forums / clubs do, because at the end of the day (And including this forum) it's not about the forum's URL, or the admins, it's about the members / enthusiasts who are passionate about the cars. Should one club owner close the book on one club, a member will start another club.

I think there is a long and happy future for support of MG Rover products :D

EDIT: Also, by the notion that the future is with Chinese MG (And I LOVE the way we differentiate the two) has that club turned their back on Land Rover's ownership of Rover for ever?

bl52krz
27th August 2012, 21:39
Jason Plato seems to like them. MG that is.
And they seem to be pretty quick motors to boot.

Johnny the Fox
28th August 2012, 00:46
What site was it as I frequent a few and haven't seen this?

stevesav
28th August 2012, 05:47
I think it was mg.org John, I seem to remember getting an e-mail about where my subscription would be going now.
Steve

Borg Warner
28th August 2012, 06:51

.Org. Sold to a Canadian organisation I undestand, who apprantly oversee a number of motoring fora.

e668ecp
28th August 2012, 06:59
Jason Plato seems to like them. MG that is.
And they seem to be pretty quick motors to boot.

Yea when they have a GM engine in them. The next batch of MG/Roewe products appear to be more and more GM based. The Roewe 950 is basically Buick or some description. Nice though

e668ecp
28th August 2012, 07:02
mg-rover.org.... once a great site now just bickering and infighting... such a shame.

MG Rover has survived quite well since the collapse of the company particularly thanks to sites like this and XPart. The Chinese and previous Labour government did MGR no favours. The MG6 isn't an MG really even though the platform appears to be a Rover 75 underneath (check the wheelbase/width)