PDA

View Full Version : What can Testbook actually do?

lildevil
1st December 2006, 17:41
Hi

As the title really. I have always wondered really what Testbook is actually able to diagnose? And what features can be turned on when the car is on Testbook, except Speed Locking? Also can testbook be used on a Nissan Primera? If so what will it show?

Aplogises for so many questions, however I have always wondered about Testbook.

Regards
Tom

Keith
1st December 2006, 17:58
It can set options based on the spec of the car
Read and clear fault code from all ECUs
It provides basic information as to what to check and where during fault diagnosis but is biased to maximise parts sales profit by recommending sub assembly replacement rather than repair. Note Testbook was an MGR product so that ensures MGR got a chunk of the work in spares sales.

It can actuate most systems in the car i.e turn the fans on headlights, engine systems.

It can upgrade the firmware or be used to swap out ECUs

It can do in depth emissions analysis and be used with the right attachments for complex fault finding

It optionally was available with lots of different test tools and probes but 99% of the time it is just connected under the dash to the obd connector

Very few technicians seems to know how to use it properly

IT DOES NOT DO NISSANS :D

Hth

lildevil
1st December 2006, 18:15
It can set options based on the spec of the car
Read and clear fault code from all ECUs
It provides basic information as to what to check and where during fault diagnosis but is biased to maximise parts sales profit by recommending sub assembly replacement rather than repair. Note Testbook was an MGR product so that ensures MGR got a chunk of the work in spares sales.

It can actuate most systems in the car i.e turn the fans on headlights, engine systems.

It can upgrade the firmware or be used to swap out ECUs

It can do in depth emissions analysis and be used with the right attachments for complex fault finding

It optionally was available with lots of different test tools and probes but 99% of the time it is just connected under the dash to the obd connector

Very few technicians seems to know how to use it properly

IT DOES NOT DO NISSANS :D

Hth

Hi

Thanks Keith for your very helpful info. My car is a con se what features can I have turned on by Testbook?

Also as you may be aware I have a misfire on my car which still has not been cured after a year, it has had new HT Leads, Spark Plugs, Coils, 1 garage said that it was a connection had come off of one of the coils, this was put back and the misfire went for a very little whilt however it came back, before I took it to the garage I also took it to Dutton Forshew Maidstone who said that the car has been on 'T4' and all that T4 told them was that there was a misfire. However surely it can tell them more than just that? If it can should I take it to somebody else with Testbook?

EDIT: I only asked if it could do Nissans because my Dad has a similar connector to my car near his driver's footwell. So Testbook is only for MGRs? I feel very privileged.
Regards
Tom

PS I love your MG ZT 260, its looking lovely and clean compared to the first pic you posted in the mud!!:lol:

Phil
1st December 2006, 18:28
I wonder if its basically the same inside as Honda's maris. Thats a touchscreen windows xp based affair.

lildevil
1st December 2006, 18:36
I wonder if its basically the same inside as Honda's maris. Thats a touchscreen windows xp based affair.

What do you wonder is basicaly the same inside as Honda's maris? The Nissan or Testbook? Im confussed...but it isn't hard for me to get confussed. :fishslap:

Regards
Tom

Phil
1st December 2006, 18:47
I mean I wonder if testbook is similar to maris. Just with different software loaded.

lildevil
1st December 2006, 19:12
I mean I wonder if testbook is similar to maris. Just with different software loaded.

Oh ok. Sorry I said that it is easy to confuse me.

lildevil
2nd December 2006, 08:33
Hi

Thanks Keith for your very helpful info. My car is a con se what features can I have turned on by Testbook?

Also as you may be aware I have a misfire on my car which still has not been cured after a year, it has had new HT Leads, Spark Plugs, Coils, 1 garage said that it was a connection had come off of one of the coils, this was put back and the misfire went for a very little whilt however it came back, before I took it to the garage I also took it to Dutton Forshew Maidstone who said that the car has been on 'T4' and all that T4 told them was that there was a misfire. However surely it can tell them more than just that? If it can should I take it to somebody else with Testbook?

EDIT: I only asked if it could do Nissans because my Dad has a similar connector to my car near his driver's footwell. So Testbook is only for MGRs? I feel very privileged.
Regards
Tom

PS I love your MG ZT 260, its looking lovely and clean compared to the first pic you posted in the mud!! :lol:

As my above post might have been a little confussing and didn't really get across the fact that there is a couple of questions in there I will try rewriting it.

My car first developed a misfire over a year ago!! So far it has had HT Leads, Spark Plugs, Coils all changed however the misfire still continues. I then took the car to a ex MGR dealer to have it put on their diagonstic equipment, I was told that all it could tell them is that the car has a misfire, however if Testbook is as smart as I am lead to understand surely it can tell them what cylinder the car is misfiring on? Basically I would like to know if Testbook is capable of telling me more about what is causing the misfire? And also if anybody has any other ideas that I have missed out? The strange thing is that it passed its MOT with a misfire. :confused:

I hope that somebody can help to answer my above questions.

Regards
Tom

Phil
2nd December 2006, 12:00
If it is anything like the diag equipment I use at Honda, it won't conclusively diagnose a failed part, for instance, it may say "random misfire on any cylinder" then give you a list of things to check,
What exactly have you had changed on your car? Just plugs and leads?
I'd be looking at fuel injectors next, maybe fuel pressure, then a compression test, I cannot understand how it passed an emmisions test with a misfire. I'd have thought the hydrocarbons would have been way high.

lildevil
2nd December 2006, 13:13
I cannot understand how it passed an emmisions test with a misfire. I'd have thought the hydrocarbons would have been way high.

Even though I am glad that it did pass neither can I understand how it passed. If you would like I will post a scanned copy of the Emssions Test? Also I get a horrible smell sometimes (I can only describe it has a burning smell, it was very, very bad today, the worst it has been.) I am open to any ideas. Is there a chance that it may not be a misfire? I know that sounds stupid as the car sounds like it is misfiring and you can feel the vibration in the car but thats the only way I can think that it passed the emissions test.

Regards
Tom

Phil
2nd December 2006, 17:22
The burning smell is probably your cat dying, if its having unburnt fuel dumped on it, it will die. They are £'s. Which cylinder is it missing on? If you know for sure and have changed the plugs and the coil, check the contacts on the coil for security, but you really do need to get it looked at. Get the cylinder compressions tested. I seem to recall you saying your head gasket had gone and you were topping it up a lot?

Keith
2nd December 2006, 21:14

Testbook runs as a shell on top of Windoze

lildevil
2nd December 2006, 22:22
The burning smell is probably your cat dying, if its having unburnt fuel dumped on it, it will die. They are £'s. Which cylinder is it missing on? If you know for sure and have changed the plugs and the coil, check the contacts on the coil for security, but you really do need to get it looked at. Get the cylinder compressions tested. I seem to recall you saying your head gasket had gone and you were topping it up a lot?

That is what I was afraid off, the burning smell being the Cat dying. I am unaware which cylinder it is missing on. Well I am topping it up alot but theres no excess smoke from the exhaust to indicate Head Gasket. I know somebody who had a Rover and there head gasket went on them about 3 -4 times lots & lots of smoke...which mine doesn't have. My friend has now got rid of the rover for obvious reasons.

Regards
Tom

Fille
3rd December 2006, 19:46
Anyone ever heard of a testbook system being offered for sale for a DIY Rover owner?
Here in Finland there are apparently olny two (2) testbook systems available in the entire country, so everytime my Tourer needs a visit to the workshop there is usually two weeks waiting for the computer to arrive. Thought about getting my own instead...:)

Simon
3rd December 2006, 19:56
Anyone ever heard of a testbook system being offered for sale for a DIY Rover owner?
Here in Finland there are apparently olny two (2) testbook systems available in the entire country, so everytime my Tourer needs a visit to the workshop there is usually two weeks waiting for the computer to arrive. Thought about getting my own instead...:)

If you have a couple of thousand lying around then they are available (sort of) ;)

Very costly and of the few companies selling T4 systems (or alternates), one or two companies (so I've heard) don't seem to be interested in selling to individual buyers whenever anyone has asked. :(

Keith
3rd December 2006, 20:00
How much do you want to spend?
Cheapest third part alternative is here
http://www.rovacomlite.com/