PDA

View Full Version : Bonnet

Zeb
2nd December 2006, 07:32
My bonnet has never quite 'sat' straight, the left hand side is higher than the right. I have tried adjusting it using the screw in/out adjuster on that side but it makes no difference. What do I need to do to even up the two sides?
Thanks.

Nick Hoare
2nd December 2006, 12:10
Is yours the facelift model ? I seem to remember reading some where that most of the facelift 75's have a large gap (Mine does)

Zeb
2nd December 2006, 12:16
Is yours the facelift model ? I seem to remember reading some where that most of the facelift 75's have a large gap (Mine does)

Yes it is a facelift model. I don't mind the gap being a bit large so long as it is even...which it isn't!

Simon
2nd December 2006, 21:36
It could be the two release springs above the grille (one on either side). I don't know if they are adjustable but it's worth having a look to see if one is perhaps loose or something which would cause the bonnet to sit slightly higher on one side.

The other option is the slam-pannel itself isn't sitting level on the chasis. If I recall, the slam-pannel and bumper can be moved slightly on the chasis mount to allow you to adjust the gap that is present when the bonnet is shut. It may be that the slam-pannel and bumper assembly aren't horizontal.

Another option could be a buckled bonnet, which is rather more difficult (and costly) to fix (ie. new bonnet :()

Hope this helps!

Martin75
5th December 2006, 08:58
I had the same problem and loosened the six nut heads that fasten the front plastic panel/apron (holds the grille) to the car - (these look up at you as you look down at the radiator - with bonnet open). I then shifted the front panel around for about 30 mins and after a lot of bonnet openings and closings, eventually got it level then tightened them and finally adjusted the two rubber plugs on each side of the bonnet as you stated. I should add I had to insert a small rubber wedge in between the top of the front panel and the car before I got there, but it now looks perfect and everything shuts as it should. Give it a try, all you need is a socket set and about an hour of fiddling!

Zeb
5th December 2006, 21:53
I had the same problem and loosened the six nut heads that fasten the front plastic panel/apron (holds the grille) to the car - (these look up at you as you look down at the radiator - with bonnet open). I then shifted the front panel around for about 30 mins and after a lot of bonnet openings and closings, eventually got it level then tightened them and finally adjusted the two rubber plugs on each side of the bonnet as you stated. I should add I had to insert a small rubber wedge in between the top of the front panel and the car before I got there, but it now looks perfect and everything shuts as it should. Give it a try, all you need is a socket set and about an hour of fiddling!

Thanks, I will give it a go...