PDA

View Full Version : Diesel remap completed

Robson Rover Repair
29th September 2012, 01:28
I thought I would share this with you now folks.

Rover 75 diesel auto remap completed on thursday, and the verdict after several unnecessary nice long drives?????

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/Colin/Rover%2075%20Tourer/20120923_165059.jpg

World of difference, auto changes down quicker, holds gears much much longer, nice progressive power, pulls and pulls and pulls.

Im saving the figure on what the power output will be until the next rolling road day im hoping to arrange for November time, so I can put my money where my mouth is. ;) Ive driven two 131 auto saloons before and shes quicker than both but in a different way.

When sitting at 80 now and the car is sitting at lower revs and drives like you where sitting at 50mph with no effort. Throttle response is wonderful also with more to come on that yet when I get it up to 100 from 91% on my day off!

Sport mode is fantastic also now, will hold the gear longer also and i have to admit its quicker than both my 160 v6's have been when running healthy.

A massive bonus and something that will interest many here is its a custom maf-less remap so thats one less thing to have to ever sort on the car, and I will never require a MAF change or cleaning again. This was developed by himself and his Reidy Remaps partner.

We discovered a strange problem about my ECU, basically it seems to be 100% original from factory BUT has a lot of strange coding, additional coding thats for nothing and caused problems, I wonder how much of this is to do with my tourer being built in early 2001, having what seems to be the "dealer club spec" but not reg'd until 2002.

Ive no doubt mpg will improve also as it requires a lot less hard driving to get it about, and with the MAF never going to give me hassle I can see the benefits instantly.

Massive thanks to Mark for putting it all together, highly recommend him for anyone looking a custom live remap in Northern Ireland, they specialize in Rover and MG but can do anything. www.madtuning.co.uk (http://www.madtuning.co.uk) is his website and homepage.

Additionally for those in the mainland who also would be interested in a MAFless remap on a CDT or CDTi please find your local agent through this page who can provide the same!

http://reidyremaps.co.uk/?page_id=60

James.uk
29th September 2012, 03:43
Sounds interesting, how long did it take?

Oh, and what was the cost?

I paid £199 for my Khaos remap.

And that's a great photo.. :)

Robson Rover Repair
29th September 2012, 03:57
Our group buy ment it was £150 per map. My ecu trippled the time usually but was done in around two hours. This was a very special price arranged through me and mark.

Frank Incensed
29th September 2012, 12:45
Very interested in this, Colin. I await your before and after fuel consumption figures and the results of the dyno test with eager anticipation:D.
I assume that the MAF stays in place but the ECU is just programmed to ignore it? I was going to get a spare MAF to carry around in readiness for the failure of the one that's fitted.
If your fuel consumption is as good or better than before and you have an increase in power / torque too, this remap would kill 2 birds with one stone for me and the money for the spare MAF would go well towards the cost.

Cheers

Robert

ChestersDad
8th October 2012, 21:55
Got my attention too! :drool4:

philjudo
9th October 2012, 10:00
Had mine done by Khaos. Money well spent. If I bought another 75 ZT my 1st mod would be a Re-Map

geordie1
9th October 2012, 10:36
Not sure how car can be sitting at lower revs at 80, surely gearing remains the same?

philjudo
9th October 2012, 11:44
Not sure how car can be sitting at lower revs at 80, surely gearing remains the same?
It can't. RPM in whatever gear = fixed speed at the wheels but it just seems the engine is not working as hard and it gets to that RPM = speed faster.

Robson Rover Repair
9th October 2012, 12:59

Sorry. The car will hold gears longer and i can drive it so it sits in a lower gear now previously at 80 mine would sit between 4th and 5th along certain roafs with hills now it stats 5th whole time etc same with other gears the car works a lot less.

Frank Incensed
10th November 2012, 17:37
Rover 75 diesel auto remap completed on thursday, and the verdict after several unnecessary nice long drives?????.................................

Im saving the figure on what the power output will be until the next rolling road day im hoping to arrange for November time, so I can put my money where my mouth is..................

Hi Colin

When's your rolling road day and are you able to let us have some before and after fuel consumption figures yet, please?

JamesUK (Khaos re-map), Rich17865 (Marinabrian re-map) and I (unmodified but oh-so-thirsty) are going to a rolling road day - organised by Sikelsh - next Saturday. I'm hoping to be able to make an informed choice as to my next move in trying to obtain either better economy and/or more performance for the amount of fuel being used.

Cheers

Robert

cargocar
10th November 2012, 18:10
I'm very confused -
'The car holds gears longer' - does that mean higher revs before change up or a lower than pre-map speed to change down?
'Sport mode holds the gear longer' - at full throttle Sport hold to max revs on a standard auto.
What speed does the Auto change to 5th (my 116 changes up to 5th about 55mph and down to 4th about 45 mph).

Frank Incensed
10th November 2012, 19:12
I'm very confused -
1) 'The car holds gears longer' - does that mean higher revs before change up or a lower than pre-map speed to change down?
2) 'Sport mode holds the gear longer' - at full throttle Sport hold to max revs on a standard auto.
3) What speed does the Auto change to 5th (my 116 changes up to 5th about 55mph and down to 4th about 45 mph).

I was confused at first, too.
1) Colin recognised that he'd made a ambiguous statement and clarified it in his last post. If (not in the UK) you've ever been doing an indicated 90 up an incline and given it some wellie, you've perhaps found the box needlessly changes down. and instead of about 2,750 rpm, you've suddenly found yourself at over 4,000 rpm?:( Colin's said that his box isn't so quick to decide to change down to a lower gear now.:}
2) Agreed. I've never understood this feature for a diesel.:shrug: It's gone past maximum torque, so what's the point? I'd like to see the difference in standing quarter times for a diesel using both economy and sports modes.
3) Yes, that's what mine does. Don't know what Colin's does.
IMO the box should change up to 5th sooner. But I suppose it is programmed in a way that sacrifices a bit of economy, in order to give more flexibility / acceleration when you're driving on urban roads and changing speed between 20 - 40 mph. Doesn't do any good when you hit an open piece of road with a 40 mph speed limit though, does it?:(

Robson Rover Repair
10th November 2012, 21:50
1 - Bingo
2 - Previously the sport mode never went over 4600rpm now it will hit the 5500 rpm area in 1st, 2nd and 3rd IF I have it on full throttle now that ive got the car to 100% throttle travel. When I get my phone fixed with autolog on it, I intend to take it back a bit travel wise. I have used sport mode maybe 5 times since the remap now!
3 - Ive been really playing around with her now, and I find that around just cruising the car will go into 5th now at bang on 50 on the speedo (mine under reads about 2mph according to autolog and my gps) BUT when ive the foot off the throttle it holds the gears a lot longer and not downshifting to around 35mph.

Additionally it has made the kick down instant, and I can also do the double kick down in 4th and 5th gear above 40mph now without having to "trick" the car, it just drops and away I go. :}

TR75
10th November 2012, 23:34
I have just contacted 'Reidy Remaps' in the second link you suggested Colin. These guys are located in Somerset, so might be an ideal opportunity for those who aren't able to travel up North to the vicinity of the T4 owners.

Will await to hear back from them, but sounds like a very interesting prospect indeed.

Robson Rover Repair
10th November 2012, 23:41
May I note, my remap I asked for it not to be max power either as I was hoping for more MPG.

I have had a good result of 53mpg average now but thats been on my big run weeks, shorter runs I was getting 46mpg all day long now where as previously I was cruising to get the average best of 47 mpg. :}

Frank Incensed
11th November 2012, 07:48
May I note, my remap I asked for it not to be max power either as I was hoping for more MPG.

I have had a good result of 53mpg average now but thats been on my big run weeks, shorter runs I was getting 46mpg all day long now where as previously I was cruising to get the average best of 47 mpg. :}

Thanks for the update Colin. I'm sure there'll be quite an exchange of information and oportunity for comparison after our respective group rolling road days.:}
Regards
Robert

Robson Rover Repair
11th November 2012, 16:56
I think the next local one will be around jan/feb. Id prefer to go back to the same rollers for compassion etc.

craig8661
11th November 2012, 18:17
1 - Bingo
2 - Previously the sport mode never went over 4600rpm now it will hit the 5500 rpm area in 1st, 2nd and 3rd IF I have it on full throttle now that ive got the car to 100% throttle travel. When I get my phone fixed with autolog on it, I intend to take it back a bit travel wise. I have used sport mode maybe 5 times since the remap now!
3 - Ive been really playing around with her now, and I find that around just cruising the car will go into 5th now at bang on 50 on the speedo (mine under reads about 2mph according to autolog and my gps) BUT when ive the foot off the throttle it holds the gears a lot longer and not downshifting to around 35mph.

Additionally it has made the kick down instant, and I can also do the double kick down in 4th and 5th gear aebove 40mph now without having to "trick" the car, it just drops and away I go. :}

When I had that car with the synergy it would go right upto the red line in sports and also kick down was near instant

ziggy72
11th November 2012, 20:11
Hi Colin

When's your rolling road day and are you able to let us have some before and after fuel consumption figures yet, please?

JamesUK (Khaos re-map), Rich17865 (Marinabrian re-map) and I (unmodified but oh-so-thirsty) are going to a rolling road day - organised by Sikelsh - next Saturday. I'm hoping to be able to make an informed choice as to my next move in trying to obtain either better economy and/or more performance for the amount of fuel being used.

Cheers

Robert

i have the marinabrian remap. will look forward to the results and findings of the rolling road.

rich17865
11th November 2012, 20:12
i have the marinabrian remap. will look forward to the results and findings of the rolling road.

A lot of black smoke on full throttle?

ziggy72
11th November 2012, 20:20
A lot of black smoke on full throttle?

had mine done since august and not noticed any smoke when i've floored it, just a slight trace of it when i floor it when its dark in the headlights of drivers behind.

rich17865
11th November 2012, 20:22
had mine done since august and not noticed any smoke when i've floored it, just a slight trace of it when its dark in the headlights of drivers behind.

HMMM, it is like night time behind me when the pedal is in the axminster!

ziggy72
11th November 2012, 20:29
HMMM, it is like night time behind me when the pedal is in the axminster!

which re-map did you get?

Robson Rover Repair
11th November 2012, 20:31
Mine has zero smoke even on full poke! :}

rich17865
11th November 2012, 20:36
which re-map did you get?

160 CDTi Auto

I have sent a message to Brian, I will see what his advice is.

ziggy72
11th November 2012, 20:40
160 CDTi Auto

if you have as much smoke as you say i'd be tempted to go back to the original and have the re-map removed.

rich17865
11th November 2012, 20:54
if you have as much smoke as you say i'd be tempted to go back to the original and have the re-map removed.

Removing the map might be the only choice, I have to check the o-rings, just in case it has spat them out again.

Other than that I can see no cause for the smoke, egr bypassed and cleaned, new intercooler hose, new maf, new air filter, BMW PCV cyclonic thingy, it doesn't use any oil at all.

Perhaps I need to replace the PCV cover? I only replaced the insert, would this cause black smoke if it was ruined?

I am open to ideas :shrug:

New map sensor?

James.uk
12th November 2012, 00:14
Loose PCV cover will let in air but can't see how it could cause smoke. :shrug:

If you plant your foot to the floor in an auto diesel it will over fuel untill the revs catch up with the fuel input, that can't be avoided. (may or may not cause smoke though) To avoid any smoke, the trick is to feed the fuel in as the revs increase innit.. :}

On a petrol engine the air/fuel mix is regulated by the throttle, so it shouldn't smoke.. :}

When my engines hot, and I plant the pedal, it gives off a light grey mist in daylight, so is hard to see by the driver, get a passenger to check for you... :D

My car soots up the rear sill after a while, but "no smoke-no poke" innit.. :D

cargocar
13th November 2012, 20:51
Frank -
selct 2 and sport mode - this gives 2nd gear from approx 15 mph to 50 mph ( max revs 4800 ) so there's no time wasted changing gear if your on roads upto 50mph, - select 3 gives approx 30 to 70+ mph ( the 'test track' wasnt ideal).
Colin's remap looks as tho' 2 has the range of 15 to 55mph in SP mode.

Frank Incensed
13th November 2012, 21:18
Frank -
selct 2 and sport mode - this gives 2nd gear from approx 15 mph to 50 mph ( max revs 4800 ) so there's no time wasted changing gear if your on roads upto 50mph, - select 3 gives approx 30 to 70+ mph ( the 'test track' wasnt ideal).
Colin's remap looks as tho' 2 has the range of 15 to 55mph in SP mode.

Thanks. I'll give it a try. I must confess that I haven't fully explored the possibilities with the autobox. It's encouraged me to become lazy(ier):o

cargocar
13th November 2012, 21:33
I'd hadnt bothered either until you asked -
Tried Snow Mode and there seems little difference to D.
One problem i have is in Cruise on m/way uphill - changes down to 4th, then upto 5th, losses too much speed during change , so changes down to 4th.

ChestersDad
25th November 2012, 21:35
I'm very interested to learn how a remap takes care of the variable air flow/mass to fuel ratio if it has no sensor to call upon (albeit one with a sad prognosis)? :}

Robson Rover Repair
25th November 2012, 22:13
Give mark an email about it all

[email protected]

He can explain it a lot better than I can.

ChestersDad
26th November 2012, 20:36
Dunnit!!:D - wtg reply!
Thank you Colin...:}

ChestersDad
27th November 2012, 20:27
Got a reply to an email but no info forthcoming. So far he's not persuaded to go into detail......:shrug:

Robson Rover Repair
27th November 2012, 20:50
Have you tried contacting a local reidy remaps agent in teh top post?

Maf sensors can respond to airflow changes faster than boost pressure if it takes time for a turbo to make positive pressure where an airflow sensor is rising much faster due to revs not just boost, an actual measurement of airflow let's you precisely adjust fuel for given situations and minimal smoke.

That said, maf sensors aren't reliable at all in the long run as mine proved! The difference between the two as fuel limiters is actually quite negligible in practice, the higher the tune the less likely you'll be to notice a difference as the fueling is increased regardless along with boost, and mark did tell me a few details about how he compensated for it but I can not remember.

Shall get a rolling road printout when im at the next day after xmas.