PDA

View Full Version : Spares: 75's are so common they are being pointlessly scrapped

Cardinal Wolsey
3rd October 2012, 18:06
at the moment there is no shortage, whole cars can be had for very little money. But how long before maintaining a 75 on the road is a real labour of love and spares are either very expensive or unobtainable?

Five years ago I thought of getting leather seats for my 600, I waited and not they cannot be had for love nor money. Apparently some mechanicals are also very expensive or difficult to obtain as well.

There was a guy in Kent I believe featured in Practical Classics who collected "cheap" Jag's literally saving them from scrap. He ended up sitting on a gold mine his supply of MK X, 420G, and 240 spares making him the only player in town.

Same future for the 75 do you think?

Tim
3rd October 2012, 18:25
You're not wrong, I was looking at this subject a few months ago.

http://two-sixties-blog.com/2012/04/29/next-stage-to-being-a-classic/

trikey
3rd October 2012, 18:48
You're not wrong, I was looking at this subject a few months ago.

http://two-sixties-blog.com/2012/04/29/next-stage-to-being-a-classic/

Nooo - not that picture again, it makes me sad :(

Shapfell
3rd October 2012, 19:32
MarinaBrian will have noticed this as well; Morris Marina/Ital prices are on the up after hitting rock bottom a few years ago, as are Maestro/Montego and Metro. All cars lose out to a point and then as long as there are some still left, will start to increase in price. MGF's are heading for rock-bottom now, as are 2/4/600's (pre-bubble shape). All cars do it, its sad to see, but hang in there!

seancar
3rd October 2012, 19:47
at the moment there is no shortage, whole cars can be had for very little money. But how long before maintaining a 75 on the road is a real labour of love and spares are either very expensive or unobtainable?

Five years ago I thought of getting leather seats for my 600, I waited and not they cannot be had for love nor money. Apparently some mechanicals are also very expensive or difficult to obtain as well.

There was a guy in Kent I believe featured in Practical Classics who collected "cheap" Jag's literally saving them from scrap. He ended up sitting on a gold mine his supply of MK X, 420G, and 240 spares making him the only player in town.

Same future for the 75 do you think?

half of these 75 and mgzt could be saved easily, i had a phone call from a 75 owner today he was in portsmouth with a clutch problem on his cdti a rover garage had quoted him £1850 plus vat to replace his clutch and mister clutch £2095 to replace clutch. he has a 03 plate cdti and said to me he would scrap the car and go and buy another car, i will say at those prices i dont blame him. people do not expect to pay main dealer prices at fast fit centres or so called rover garages if they put 50% mark up on the parts and charge £100 an hour it still would not cost those prices. its people like this that are putting these cars off the road and making them scrap.

Kev66
3rd October 2012, 20:02
It was me you spoke to today I could not believe the quotes I was getting today and was seriously thinking of just writing it off until I spoke to you, I think now I will get car fixed and will be coming over to see you soon. Glad to actually speak to someone not just after the cash and actually operates a honest business..

seancar
3rd October 2012, 20:14
It was me you spoke to today I could not believe the quotes I was getting today and was seriously thinking of just writing it off until I spoke to you, I think now I will get car fixed and will be coming over to see you soon. Glad to actually speak to someone not just after the cash and actually operates a honest business..

i hope you dont mind me say about your car i just could not believe the prices you had been quoted. at those prices i can see why people can not have there cars repaired. i could not afford a 2k bill to have a clutch fitted and to be honest i would not pay that sort of money when i could replace the car for less. its peoples greed that is killing these cars

Kev66
3rd October 2012, 20:16
Not at all. Totally agree its madness to think I could of brought another car at the price of a clutch change.

capese21
3rd October 2012, 20:39
Nooo - not that picture again, it makes me sad :(

That Tourer looks lovely and a V8......:sad3:

Cardinal Wolsey
3rd October 2012, 21:44
that probably has enough spares to restore my greed 620sdi, which is probably going to be a lifetime project.

If I had a barn somewhere I'd be buying these up and storing them. Make a fortune someday.

Wayned
3rd October 2012, 22:42
The sad part about it is people see more money in the parts as is always the case when dealing with older / harder to sell cars.

Robson Rover Repair
3rd October 2012, 22:52
And its only going to get worse as scrap values fall. I already have a short list of three cars im after to store.:}

Anthony & Maricel
3rd October 2012, 22:55
half of these 75 and mgzt could be saved easily, i had a phone call from a 75 owner today he was in portsmouth with a clutch problem on his cdti a rover garage had quoted him £1850 plus vat to replace his clutch and mister clutch £2095 to replace clutch. he has a 03 plate cdti and said to me he would scrap the car and go and buy another car, i will say at those prices i dont blame him. people do not expect to pay main dealer prices at fast fit centres or so called rover garages if they put 50% mark up on the parts and charge £100 an hour it still would not cost those prices. its people like this that are putting these cars off the road and making them scrap.

That is a redicolouse amount of money for a clutch, master, slave and clutch cost me £850 including recovery of the vehicle as it could not be driven after the slave failed.

It is nothing more than pure unadulterated greed.

Canonite
4th October 2012, 07:30
Cars like this getting broken apart for what? Doesn't say whats wrong with it like but just look at it:
ebay linky (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-ROVER-75-CONNOISSEUR-T-GREEN-WHEEL-NUTS-CAR-IS-FOR-BREAKING-/300782718223?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item46080c0d0f)

Plezier
4th October 2012, 09:39
Because they can make money out of it that's why :(.

Forestgreen
4th October 2012, 10:29
Are all 10 year old clutches that expensive to repair at the big chains? £2000, ouch, but would a 10 year old BMW or Jag clutch be any different? I don't know since I only drive autos...

On the other side of the coin, even new car repairs can set you back loads if you're not careful. I wonder how many people don't get a 75/ZT 2.5 because they can't afford spending £500 on the cambelts? I wonder how many would go for something cheap and cheerful like a Mk5 VW Polo (2009+) on the grounds that it's a cheap nifty little thing?

Without realising that every few years you have to change the cambelts on a Polo too - at a cost of £500! Gimme the Rover any day...

Dashiel
4th October 2012, 10:35
Big thirsty cars with big bills.
In an era of austerity.
People still getting big quotes from big garages. Rather than seeking out small garages where for example mini cab drivers take their cars.

TriumphStag
4th October 2012, 11:51
^^ Yes, it is often more about the labour cost nowdays, and with cars being more complicated, the time taken is more. I saw an x type jag saloon, on an 02 plate scrapped due to the cost of fixing the clutch. (I was too late to rescue it).

berkshirelad
4th October 2012, 12:12
where for example mini cab drivers take their cars.

I never realised that mini cab drivers ever did that...:getmecoat:

Zafonic
4th October 2012, 18:08
I sadly scrapped my R75 2.0 Connie when the clutch went.The quotes i had ranged from £900 to £1200, which was more than the car was worth and i was gutted walking away from her as she was parked in a cemetary next to a load of bodyshells.:(

But if i had joined this club sooner then i could off saved her, and people moan about paying a tenner for membership!!!!!!:shrug:

Zafonic
4th October 2012, 18:15
Big thirsty cars with big bills.
In an era of austerity.
People still getting big quotes from big garages. Rather than seeking out small garages where for example mini cab drivers take their cars.

Whats a minicab?:shrug:

Zafonic
4th October 2012, 18:19
Because they can make money out of it that's why :(.

They dont make that much Kevin. My mate is a scrap dealer and pays £180 a car, regardless of weight, and it takes him a year to get that money back in parts.

marinabrian
4th October 2012, 22:25
They dont make that much Kevin. My mate is a scrap dealer and pays £180 a car, regardless of weight, and it takes him a year to get that money back in parts.

Aye right, so you buy a Mk2 1800 turbo saloon, assuming the engine's ok £500, front bumper £200, headlights £150 each, leather seats £100, ecu's etc etc, then any body panels, plus the weigh in at the end.
Don't kid yourself there's money to be made in breaking these cars, just ask Sean :getmecoat:
I own three cars where their sum total in saleable parts far outstrip the actual value of the cars themselves.
Brian :D

Zafonic
5th October 2012, 11:31
£300 for headlights:shrug:
My scrap man has made £200 out of my 75 mk1 V6 and its been in his compound for a year, so he,s 20 spats up after giving me £180 for it. Obviously no demand for 75 parts round here.:}

marinabrian
7th October 2012, 08:32
My scrap man has made £200 out of my 75 mk1 V6 and its been in his compound for a year, so he,s 20 spats up after giving me £180 for it. Obviously no demand for 75 parts round here.:}
Obviously never had to buy a Mk2 headlight then
Try these (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-MG-ZT-Facelift-Headlights-Pair-/300789630321?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4608758571#ht_500wt_1203), or perhaps a Mk2 front bumper (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-MK2-Phase-2-Facelift-Front-Bumper-in-SeaFrost-Code-JYA-VGC-/350597442302?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51a13c6afe#ht_1873wt_952)
Mark two stuff commands a premium as it's in short supply, and it took me six weeks to find a N/S headlight at a sensible price for my own car.
Part finder found one for me straight away at a fairly astronomic price of £300 posted :eek:, prices ranged from 100-150 per lamp.
Don't kid yourself, these are worth more in parts than as a whole car :confused:

Plezier
7th October 2012, 08:43

Have a friend who was born in Chesterfield and if I tell him this I will just get to look:-

"Don't be daft why buy bits when you can nick them"

I doubt it's changed that much in the years since he moved out.

BIG LEK
7th October 2012, 09:01
They dont make that much Kevin. My mate is a scrap dealer and pays £180 a car, regardless of weight, and it takes him a year to get that money back in parts.I'm not being funny here but if its taking him a year to get his money back may-be the scrap trade is not for him:shrug:he should have been able to weigh it straight in for a profit:shrug:,or aleast double his money after a few weeks;)

Plezier
7th October 2012, 10:16
If spares are so common then can people keep an eye open for a nice dry set of Aubergine carpeting .................................................. ... please ? :D

You will excise me if I don't hold my breathe whilst I wait though ;).

genpk
7th October 2012, 12:06
Dont know what you guys are complaining about as anything not engine related I need,I have it shipped from the UK.
I see the odd damaged 75s up for auction now and then over here but they are always bought up. There is a couple of motor wreckers over here that have a few 75s but they are pretty rare.
So I say the more parts there are available the better.
It costs me a bit for the freight but better than trying to find the parts over here.New and second hand parts are way cheaper over your way- ie local dealer quoted $1,300 AUD for a new electric fan and relay,got one from over your way for $450.

Cardinal Wolsey
7th October 2012, 19:16
Dont know what you guys are complaining about as anything not engine related I need,I have it shipped from the UK.
I see the odd damaged 75s up for auction now and then over here but they are always bought up. There is a couple of motor wreckers over here that have a few 75s but they are pretty rare.
So I say the more parts there are available the better.
It costs me a bit for the freight but better than trying to find the parts over here.New and second hand parts are way cheaper over your way- ie local dealer quoted $1,300 AUD for a new electric fan and relay,got one from over your way for $450.

Are there many 75's in Australia? if you had a nice dry place to store them and thee cannot be much shortage in Oz (the desert) it would almost be worth shipping over a few £400 HGF's and paying the shipping charge. Why you could be the Aussie version of that guy in Kent I mentioned with the largest stock of single marque vintage car's/parts available.

As an aside did they sell the Chinese 75's down under and do you see many?

Duotone
7th October 2012, 20:31
As an aside did they sell the Chinese 75's down under and do you see many?

The 75 or Roewe 750/ MG7 as they are known are only made in left hand drive. So not imported to Australia.

Australia and New Zealand drive on left the same as in Great Britain.

Dave T

peter1961
7th October 2012, 21:29
Australia and New Zealand drive on left the same as in Great Britain.

so the aussies do get things right now and again then :D.

Arctic
7th October 2012, 21:56
If spares are so common then can people keep an eye open for a nice dry set of Aubergine carpeting .................................................. ... please ? :D

You will excise me if I don't hold my breathe whilst I wait though ;).

A chap whom lives 3 miles from as one or had one not seen him for a bit but he had all the Aubergine interior only sold the leather seats some time months after months of waitingfor someone who wanted them ;) will pop my head in or give him a ring and have a look see for you.

Plezier
7th October 2012, 23:36
Excellent ......................... thank you.

Doh I cannot recall his mane but the chap with the White 75 at the Doncatser meet was looking for Aubergine seats etc.

Zafonic
8th October 2012, 05:22
Obviously never had to buy a Mk2 headlight then
Try these (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-MG-ZT-Facelift-Headlights-Pair-/300789630321?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4608758571#ht_500wt_1203), or perhaps a Mk2 front bumper (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-MK2-Phase-2-Facelift-Front-Bumper-in-SeaFrost-Code-JYA-VGC-/350597442302?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51a13c6afe#ht_1873wt_952)
Mark two stuff commands a premium as it's in short supply, and it took me six weeks to find a N/S headlight at a sensible price for my own car.
Part finder found one for me straight away at a fairly astronomic price of £300 posted :eek:, prices ranged from 100-150 per lamp.
Don't kid yourself, these are worth more in parts than as a whole car :confused:

I will keep my mk1 then Brian:D

Zafonic
8th October 2012, 05:24
Have a friend who was born in Chesterfield and if I tell him this I will just get to look:-

"Don't be daft why buy bits when you can nick them"

I doubt it's changed that much in the years since he moved out.

Its a quaint little place and the thieves are very helpful:D