PDA

View Full Version : Thermomiter Needle Dropping

Dave McKenzie
4th October 2012, 19:10
Just been about town and my ther needle in the cablin was at 0 and my fan was on. I turned the engine off, turned it back on and it went back up to half way where it was supposed to be. After about 5 miles into me trip, the needle then dropped again and the fan came on. Im really ***** it now as ive read on the net that it could be the start of HGF.

Please advise!!!! Theres NO mayo in oil, coolant is fine

Thanks

Dave

Phil-T4
4th October 2012, 19:19
Could well be a faulty sensor or loose connection as the fan will come on if the ecu cant read the temp.
Do a search and monitor the temp via the IPK diagnostics.

Dave McKenzie
4th October 2012, 19:21
Where is the sensor??? I'll have a look tomoz

Phil-T4
4th October 2012, 19:27
From the front its on the right hand side of the cylinder head, it has a black connector.

Dave McKenzie
4th October 2012, 19:31
Found it. I'll have a look tomoz when I get home from work.

Think it could be the sensor as I turned the engine on ans the fan came straight on

Dave McKenzie
5th October 2012, 08:21
drove to work today and everything was fine....think it might be worth takin the sensor out and giving it a clean.....

Dave McKenzie
5th October 2012, 14:10
Hiya, sensor has done same...rises to middle and then after a mile or just falls back to 6 o'clock...could the sensor be faulty or am i looking at something much bigger?

dissy1810
5th October 2012, 14:52
Are you using any water, have you tried bleeding the system to rule out airlocks if it is the sensor a clean wont sort it it needs replacing I have a spare if you need one

AndyV
5th October 2012, 16:03
Don't worry too much, Dave, it will be the sensor or the plug/cable to it. Unplug it and examine/clean the contacts, plug & cable. If that makes no difference, a new sensor will be needed. At least you know your fan is working on high speed!

kaiser
5th October 2012, 16:05
You don't need to bleed the system. You just need to check, and then top up, if needed, when cold.

If indeed fluid is missing, then you need to find the reason for that.