PDA

View Full Version : Haynes Manual Maintenance Schedules

David3807
3rd December 2006, 00:01
Got my copy this morning and been having a browse.

Noticed their maintenance schedules differ a bit from the MGR intervals.

In particular they suggest timing belts at 45,000 miles or three years as against MGR 90,000 or 6 years. Is that a bit over cautious or should I be worrying a bit. My Conn SE 2.5 is on 49000 and a bit over 5 years and I was planning on the belts next summer - 6 years and probably 60,000 miles.

Any views from the more mechanically minded and experienced than myself??

Mike
3rd December 2006, 05:09
Sounds very iffy, as though Haynes are just protecting their backs! iirc 45k or 3 years has never been put up as an interval for these engines so goodness knows where they got it from.

The MGR specified belt change intervals are the same as for other manufacturers (except for VW who have had massive problems with their plastic tensioners and now specifiy 40k miles :eek: ).

Some owners do have concerns about leaving the belts to 90k or 6 years and so get the change done earlier - others leave it the full term but imo 45k or 3 years is well over the top and just increases business for garages. I had my KV6 done at 5.5 years.

Mike

Ken
3rd December 2006, 08:12
Haynes protecting their own backs I would think, I will go by MGR myself.

Ken

Zeb
3rd December 2006, 08:32
Haynes protecting their own backs I would think, I will go by MGR myself.

Ken

How does it protect their own backs? Nobody is going to sue them even if they give the same advice as MGR. I tend towards trusting the Haynes technicians, given their years of experience with a variety of vehicles. Cam belts remain the most notorious of car parts and given the massive cost of repair should they break....

Ken
3rd December 2006, 08:37
How does it protect their own backs? Nobody is going to sue them even if they give the same advice as MGR. I tend towards trusting the Haynes technicians, given their years of experience with a variety of vehicles. Cam belts remain the most notorious of car parts and given the massive cost of repair should they break....

Thats true I had not thought of it that way Zeb :lol: Even so I will still be going with the MGR figures.

Ken :lol:

RowlandOz
3rd December 2006, 09:31
Sounds very iffy, as though Haynes are just protecting their backs! iirc 45k or 3 years has never been put up as an interval for these engines so goodness knows where they got it from.

The MGR specified belt change intervals are the same as for other manufacturers (except for VW who have had massive problems with their plastic tensioners and now specifiy 40k miles :eek: ).

Some owners do have concerns about leaving the belts to 90k or 6 years and so get the change done earlier - others leave it the full term but imo 45k or 3 years is well over the top and just increases business for garages. I had my KV6 done at 5.5 years.

Mike

The recommendation in Australia is 100,000kms (62000 miles) because of the heat I think. Freelander belts on the KV6 motor here were going a lot earlier than 145,000km (90,000miles) hence the revised figure.

Mike
3rd December 2006, 10:08
The recommendation in Australia is 100,000kms (62000 miles) because of the heat I think. Freelander belts on the KV6 motor here were going a lot earlier than 145,000km (90,000miles) hence the revised figure.

Hi Rowland,

Thanks for the info - 60k could be a good figure for the KV6 belt change.

Mike

ps Is it true that Oz bowlers also age quicker because of the heat? ;)

.............It's OK I'll get me own coat? :)

tourerfogey
3rd December 2006, 12:51
I'd usually advise sticking to the manufacturers schedule but then somewhere inbetween what MGR and Haynes state might be sensible in this instance - ie, always err on the side of caution.

Incidentally, when I bought my daughter a new Peugeot for her 18th birthday a few years back there was no written recommendation at all from Peugeot about cambelt changes and even their service dept could not come up with a figure!!

crofts
4th December 2006, 01:50
Got my copy this morning and been having a browse.

Noticed their maintenance schedules differ a bit from the MGR intervals.

In particular they suggest timing belts at 45,000 miles or three years as against MGR 90,000 or 6 years. Is that a bit over cautious or should I be worrying a bit. My Conn SE 2.5 is on 49000 and a bit over 5 years and I was planning on the belts next summer - 6 years and probably 60,000 miles.

Any views from the more mechanically minded and experienced than myself??

Buy a diesel with a chain :rolleyes:
No seriously, unless you have a current warranty you are on your own should the belt go so erring on the side of caution could be a wise move. Hate to think what a conrod through the block would cost to put right on a V6 :eek:

crofts
4th December 2006, 02:09
Slightly off topic but check out the vehicle specifications at the back.
Now you all know why a Tourer slips through the air like a bullet ! ! Makes it so much quicker to wash too ! ! :rubbish: