PDA

View Full Version : Powerflex diesel bush

AndreRijo
8th October 2012, 21:05
Some time ago, I have fitted a Powerflex set of bushes for the lower engine mount.

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n559/AndreRijo/Lip%20V8%20-%20apoio%20de%20motor%20-%20rebaixamento/DSC00142.jpg

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n559/AndreRijo/Lip%20V8%20-%20apoio%20de%20motor%20-%20rebaixamento/DSC00144.jpg

I was really pleased with it, until I started noticing a incrising vibration coming from the engine.

Got myself under the car and this was what I've fond!

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n559/AndreRijo/Varias/DSC00850_zps37173fc3.jpg

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n559/AndreRijo/Varias/DSC00849_zpsf4a77eb7.jpg

Has anyone else experienced this problem with powerflex bushes?

ProfDave
8th October 2012, 21:13
not yet! How long did this take?

I saw some comments a week or so back that someone else had issues with them

I have used them for years on my minis with no issues

Hoped it would be the same on the CDTi (in particular since I have upped the beans a fair bit with various mods)

:shrug:

AndreRijo
8th October 2012, 21:23
I've changed the bushes approximately 4 months ago and done a max of 5.000km.

Recently I have upgraded my turbo to a bigger one and in the first days the new turbo had a small leak in a tiny gasket. That was immediately taken care off, but the drips of hot oil fall directly on the bush.

Could that have caused the failure of this bush?:shrug:

ProfDave
8th October 2012, 21:25

Recently I have upgraded my turbo to a bigger one and in the first days the new turbo had a small leak in a tiny gasket. That was immediately taken care off, but the drips of hot oil fall directly on the bush.

as its made of polyurethane I doubt it; I will now be keeping a close eye on my mounts!

AndreRijo
8th October 2012, 21:51
as its made of polyurethane I doubt it; I will now be keeping a close eye on my mounts!

That was my thought also... I have fitted a new one and going to keep my eyes open to see what's going to happen!

ProfDave
9th October 2012, 16:53
That was my thought also... I have fitted a new one and going to keep my eyes open to see what's going to happen!

thinking about my minis; they spew oil out all over the place (compared to the 75!) and the Poweflex bushes have always been fine with this whereas the older ribbery ones used to last months!

boater
9th October 2012, 17:44
Hi

I changed the large bush on my engine mount a few months back and have felt extra vibration at tick over since doing it.

Mine is a 1.8 petrol and of course I used the yellow bush.

T-Cut
9th October 2012, 18:17
Looking at the photos, I'd say there are signs of fatigue cracking.

TC

Germanlemon
9th October 2012, 20:10
The inside of the mount is not smooth, it's ribbed. My guess is the sharp edges are cutting into the bush. I'm getting used to mine but I don't think its as good as an original in good condition.

Jakg
9th October 2012, 20:28

You upgraded the turbo on your CDTi? Do you have any more info?

AndreRijo
9th October 2012, 21:40
thinking about my minis; they spew oil out all over the place (compared to the 75!) and the Poweflex bushes have always been fine with this whereas the older ribbery ones used to last months!

I didn't think that the cause was the oil, but as it happened at the same time, so that was my first thought.

Hi

I changed the large bush on my engine mount a few months back and have felt extra vibration at tick over since doing it.

Mine is a 1.8 petrol and of course I used the yellow bush.

Probably worth a check.

Looking at the photos, I'd say there are signs of fatigue cracking.

TC

But, what's causing that? Can the bush have some type of flaw our maybe I didn't fit it properly!?:shrug:

The inside of the mount is not smooth, it's ribbed. My guess is the sharp edges are cutting into the bush. I'm getting used to mine but I don't think its as good as an original in good condition.

Now that you mention that, I've already look at does sharp edges and the some thing cross my mind.

You upgraded the turbo on your CDTi? Do you have any more info?

Yes I have. What do you want to know?:D

Jakg
9th October 2012, 21:56
Yes I have. What do you want to know?:D
What is it / what's it off / how did you know it fits / how does it fit / what improvements does it give / how much does it cost

Enough for starters? :p

AndreRijo
9th October 2012, 22:20
What is it / what's it off / how did you know it fits / how does it fit / what improvements does it give / how much does it cost

Enough for starters? :p

That's enough...:D

Since I bought my ZT-T, I want more power to it as the standard specs are very poor... So I started looking for the main differences with the similar engine that equips the bmw 320d(e46).

This was a upgrade made from scratch. I've used a Garrett 1749 that originally equips the bmw 320d(e46), I've managed to make the variable geometry work, it's actuated by egr vacuum.

All the exhaust and inlet\admission pipes have to be redone, as there's nothing available for our cars.

In the end I've have done a new remap and it's now with 180bhp. Almost no turbo lag, revs a bit higher on idle, a lot more power and it pulls and pulls and pulls... doesn't cut! It's a different car to drive!

For all the work and parts, I spent around 1200€

Here's some photos.

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n559/AndreRijo/Upgrade%20do%20trubo%20das%20jantes%20e%20pneus/DSC00760_zpsba13aada.jpg

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n559/AndreRijo/Upgrade%20do%20trubo%20das%20jantes%20e%20pneus/DSC00762_zps887ae317.jpg

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n559/AndreRijo/Upgrade%20do%20trubo%20das%20jantes%20e%20pneus/DSC00804_zpse2d5af59.jpg

Jakg
10th October 2012, 07:34
That looks a lot more custom than I thought it would be :(

Wish I had the skills to do something like that!

If you ever feel like making up another bolt-on version...

AndreRijo
10th October 2012, 17:51
That looks a lot more custom than I thought it would be :(

Wish I had the skills to do something like that!

If you ever feel like making up another bolt-on version...

This is a custom job. Apart from the turbo unit, all the rest was done by "hand", bit by bit.

Me and my mechanic spent many hours around this, but in the end, it worth all the pain and headaches during the process!:D

It's a lot easy to do another one. Now, we just need to copy the original.:D

HarryM1BYT
10th October 2012, 18:04

I would agree, but in addition it looks as if the bush is being rotated withing the housing each time torque is applied, hence the tears around the edges.

Jakg
10th October 2012, 18:22
This is a custom job. Apart from the turbo unit, all the rest was done by "hand", bit by bit.

Me and my mechanic spent many hours around this, but in the end, it worth all the pain and headaches during the process!:D

It's a lot easy to do another one. Now, we just need to copy the original.:D

If you ever end up making another thats vaguely bolt-on, I'd love to try it...

Dave-M
16th October 2012, 19:31
I fitted one of the bushes to mine a few months back. I was under it last week and noticed small flecks of pink on the trailing edge of the undertray. I've not had time to pull it apart for a proper look, but it certainly looks like they've come from the bush. Have you been in touch with Powerflex to see if they've had any reports of similar problems?

AndreRijo
16th October 2012, 20:15
I would agree, but in addition it looks as if the bush is being rotated withing the housing each time torque is applied, hence the tears around the edges.

I've been looking at my bush and the mount itself closely and that seams to be the problem. My question is, why?

The bush fits very tight in to the mount and the screws are very well tighten...

If you ever end up making another thats vaguely bolt-on, I'd love to try it...

That's something I'd never thought of, but if you are willing to spend the money, maybe we can do some kind of arrangement.:D

I fitted one of the bushes to mine a few months back. I was under it last week and noticed small flecks of pink on the trailing edge of the undertray. I've not had time to pull it apart for a proper look, but it certainly looks like they've come from the bush. Have you been in touch with Powerflex to see if they've had any reports of similar problems?

No I haven't, but I should have done that!

I've fitted a new one and I'm giving it a close look. If it happens again, that will be the first thing to do.

Arctic
18th December 2012, 19:18
You will find an update of the powwerflex bush at the link below cheers Arctic.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=130209 (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=130209)

AndreRijo
18th December 2012, 19:37
Thanks. Already following the updates.