PDA

View Full Version : Caravan (or car) Battery Charger

reworht
12th October 2012, 13:58
Just been in my local Lidl - they're selling intelligent/automatic battery chargers for £14.99. Brilliant for attaching to the caravan battery and leaving it on throughout the Winter. Bought one, then got dragged into Aldi by SWMBO - and they're selling virtually identical chargers a £1 cheaper !
Whichever - absolute bargain :)

HarryM1BYT
12th October 2012, 14:03
Just been in my local Lidl - they're selling intelligent/automatic battery chargers for £14.99. Brilliant for attaching to the caravan battery and leaving it on throughout the Winter. Bought one, then got dragged into Aldi by SWMBO - and they're selling virtually identical chargers a £1 cheaper !

I have a few of them and very good they are too. I leave the caravan battery on charge on its own built in PSU/ charger, but occaisionally give it a full boost on the Aldi one. I have another as a permanent charger for the car, when it stands unused in the garage for an extended period - it is bolted to a beam, with a lighter plug ready to just plug into a socket.

They are reputed to be a copy of a £60 charger.

RPWC
3rd November 2012, 22:13
I just disconnect the caravan battery,when its not in use,can't leave it on charge,as it stays in a storage compound ,when not being used.

HarryM1BYT
3rd November 2012, 22:22

A word of warning - These type of chargers stop charging if mains is lost. You need to repress the button, to restart them, but at least they don't discharge the battery while mains is off - unlike some.

I had a type of charger which did discharge the battery as a 'maintainer' on the bike. One winter someone must have turned the socket off and it went unoticed for several weeks, which wrecked the battery..

vindaloo
6th November 2012, 15:52
I have a few of them and very good they are too. I leave the caravan battery on charge on its own built in PSU/ charger, but occaisionally give it a full boost on the Aldi one. I have another as a permanent charger for the car, when it stands unused in the garage for an extended period - it is bolted to a beam, with a lighter plug ready to just plug into a socket.

They are reputed to be a copy of a £60 charger.

They a supposedly a copy of the CTEK conditioners, but owning both I can tell you they are not, but still a steal for less than £15.

COLVERT
25th November 2012, 18:33
I just disconnect the caravan battery,when its not in use,can't leave it on charge,as it stays in a storage compound ,when not being used.

That will reduce the batteries working life.

However if the storage compound is open to sunshine then a solar charger will keep it in good condition throughout the winter.

RPWC
26th November 2012, 21:27
That will reduce the batteries working life.

However if the storage compound is open to sunshine then a solar charger will keep it in good condition throughout the winter.

I hear what you're saying Colvert ,but it stays in the compound for months at a time,and once it goes away,I have to give 24hours notice ,to have it brought out so it's not practical to leave it connected ,as it will go flat anyway.

cargocar
2nd December 2012, 21:45
Cant you put the battery in the shed with a solar charger?

robmac
10th January 2013, 01:10
these didlidi chargers are excellent..i use one to charge and maintain my caravan battery in situ..highly recommend them to anyone.