PDA

View Full Version : Temp Gague Issue

rizel23
14th October 2012, 18:06
My 190 has always sat at the 9 o clock position from what can remember.

But just done a brisk (70Mph ;)) trip to Coventry and back (about 20 miles) and it never got as high as that, reached around 8 o clock and slightly less.

This is the second time i have noticed this.

However once stationary its hits 9 o clock :confused:

I no the temperature has dropped recently, getting hot air in the cabin from the blowers.

Would this be thermostat related? Anything obviously i can check?

Parker
14th October 2012, 18:20
Sounds thermostat related, just check as well that you have no coolant loss as these do tend to leak.

rizel23
14th October 2012, 18:27
Sounds thermostat related, just check as well that you have no coolant loss as these do tend to leak.

thanks, first thing i did was check the level (from cold) and was fine, sounds like its sticking i think?

SD1too
14th October 2012, 18:30
Hi Sam,

Have you had any work done on the cooling system prior to this happening?

Simon.

rizel23
14th October 2012, 18:36
Hi Sam,

Have you had any work done on the cooling system prior to this happening?

Simon.

I had a coolant change some time back Simon (Lates did that and it was pressurized and has been fine) just checked through my paper work and no record of the thermostat being done on either of occasions the belts were changed.

I noticed as i approached my drive way (which was slightly up hill the temp gauge rose instantly closer to the 9 o clock position and then settled at 9 o clock whilst i ran stationary for a few mins

SD1too
14th October 2012, 19:00
I think that the reason for your temperature gauge reaching a more normal reading when the car is stationary is the loss of 'ram effect' cooling, i.e. the forced passage of air through the radiator due to the car's motion.

I asked about work on the cooling system because many garages aren't aware of the correct bleeding procedure following a refill. However I would expect Lates to know! :)

There have been a few cases of sticking thermostats on the V6 and it does seem as if yours might be one of them. Out of interest, at what mileage has this occurred?

Simon.

Thomas
14th October 2012, 19:55
My V6 is the same, in slow moving town driving gets up to 9 oclock no bother but when on motorway etc the gauge drops to around a quarter, came to the conclusion its the thermostat sticking on mine and on inspection found it has a very slight weep so will be replaced when im getting the belts changed.

Nunfa1
14th October 2012, 21:39
Mine is the same, going to get round to changing the thermostat sometime soon. It's just coming up to 60k.

rizel23
14th October 2012, 22:05
Thanks guys, it's at 114k atm

Thomas
14th October 2012, 22:08
Mine is the same, going to get round to changing the thermostat sometime soon. It's just coming up to 60k.

mines is at 78k

richardvilla
15th October 2012, 13:06
Hi all

This is another potential problem i could be facing. My Zt 190 ttakes around 7 minutes to get to the 9 oclock position from cold. Surely this is too quick in this weather?

Checked coolant no apparant loss that i can see.

SD1too
15th October 2012, 14:42
If the engine's under load I would say that's too slow Richard. The weather shouldn't make much difference because the radiator is out of circuit until the thermostat opens. The KV6 was specifically designed to warm-up quickly.

Simon.

rizel23
15th October 2012, 14:51
Anyone have a rough idea on labor time for this to be changed or average cost? thanks

richardvilla
15th October 2012, 16:48
If the engine's under load I would say that's too slow Richard. The weather shouldn't make much difference because the radiator is out of circuit until the thermostat opens. The KV6 was specifically designed to warm-up quickly.

Simon.

SD in a strange sort of way youve made me feel a bit better! The last owner admitted he had the gasket done earlier this year.

Jay160
15th October 2012, 17:12
temp gauge going up n down when the cars moving is most certainly your thermostat

stocktake
15th October 2012, 18:44
Almost certain a stuck, stat, mine was the same. Stat can be changed in about an hour without removing the inlet manifolds ;) but garages will not know/will not attempt to do it this way and will book it around 3 hours book time.

Arctic
15th October 2012, 22:38
Almost certain a stuck, stat, mine was the same. Stat can be changed in about an hour without removing the inlet manifolds ;) but garages will not know/will not attempt to do it this way and will book it around 3 hours book time.

Dave
I thought they could and recently said to Dominic that i have heard they could be changed without moving the mainifolds never seen it but what we need is an how to ;) so if anyone under takes this job please lets have some pics :D Arctic.