PDA

View Full Version : MG ZT Overboost

stugee
15th October 2012, 12:54
I'm looking at buying an MG ZT Facelift 1.8T.

When I took it on a test drive I noticed a definite turbo whistle and in any gear other than first there was a bad misfire when the engine was on heavy load.

I've been reading about overboost issues being attributed to the vacuum pipes from the solenoid to the actuator and compressor housing.

I plugged the sykes pickavant code reader on and there was only a few misfire errors, which I reckon is down to this issue.

I really like the car but I'm very wary of buying a car with issues.

What do you reckon?

Cheers

silverdel
15th October 2012, 15:37
I had the same problem and under guidance from this forum replaced the pipe work with silicone pipe (purchased on EBay) 3.0mm, snug fit, overboost problem solver for under a £5, against OEM cost of £35.:}

Craig parker
15th October 2012, 15:57
Mine turned out to be the coil packs.

New plugs, coil packs, ht leads or turbo pipe work will sort the problem, most expensive being the coil packs. My car was totally transformed and is a joy to drive, quite surprising how powerful the turbo lump is when it runs correctly :)

Regards

Craig

stugee
15th October 2012, 21:07
Cheers for the advice guys, decision made... the offer has been accepted! Collect the car Thursday!!! :)

Craig parker
23rd October 2012, 09:38
Hi did you buy the car then? Have you resolved the issue with the turbo??

stugee
23rd October 2012, 09:50
Hi did you buy the car then? Have you resolved the issue with the turbo??

Bought the car, boost pipes haven't solved the issue. I put 6v through the solenoid and it seems to be operating, so I've now got a couple of replacement coilpacks to see if that remedies it!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/284037_10151486673457627_885952151_n.jpg

Loving the car though, best car I've owned in terms of driving experience!

stugee
24th October 2012, 20:41
Re-gapped the plugs to 0.7mm and changed the coil packs, and shes running well :cool:

What an awesome car to drive, even more chuffed with it

Big thanks to all you guys for your assistance :bowdown:

robmac
24th October 2012, 21:51
Re-gapped the plugs to 0.7mm and changed the coil packs, and shes running well :cool:

What an awesome car to drive, even more chuffed with it

Big thanks to all you guys for your assistance :bowdown:
thats a lovely looking car you have, glad your'e happy with it now its running well