PDA

View Full Version : Lucas maf as a replacement??

lazcivic
15th October 2012, 14:15
As the title.
I think my maf has gone as diesel consumption on a run has gone to 40mpg where it used to be 50+ and it's also not as smooth as it used to be.
My mate who works in a car spares can get a me Lucas maf for it at a good price!
Anyone got any thoughts on these ones??
Thanks

ProfDave
15th October 2012, 14:29
best option is probably a Pierburg and Synergy together which cost the same as a Bosch (or just a Bosh original)

The former dead easy to fit gives more beans too

Replacing the PB in the future is cheaper then too

lazcivic
15th October 2012, 14:31
Yeah ideally that would be my proffered choice, but trying to keep the cost down as its mot and service time too:-(

FrenchMike
15th October 2012, 15:32
Hi,

See the comments:

http://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/maf-lucas-bosch-24663/page2/

Compare your price with this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250941696852?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Mike

ProfDave
15th October 2012, 15:32
Yeah ideally that would be my proffered choice, but trying to keep the cost down as its mot and service time too:-(

agreed but you will want it to work!!

lazcivic
15th October 2012, 16:49
Thanks for the links mike, the Lucas one I can get for £65.
And definately want it working, was only trying to save money what with not and service due too. Always something though isn't there.....oh well....I'll hold off for a bit, until I can afford one.

FrenchMike
15th October 2012, 17:52
However ,I'm curious to know how your MAF shows:

Mike

lazcivic
15th October 2012, 18:07
Yeah, I've not got one of those meters, I'll try and see if my friends have.
The only reasons I have is I drove 8hours across Spain at a constant 70-75 and only just got over 40mpg. I used to get 50+ and it's also not as smooth anymore as it used to be?!?

FrenchMike
15th October 2012, 18:34
Fistly,try disconnecting it and see what change that brings ...

lazcivic
15th October 2012, 19:51
I'll unplug it when I go to a friends, no tools as they are all in Spain:-( very annoying. Should I then expect it to be driving better at lie revs/speeds and smoother running??

crofts
16th October 2012, 04:43
If it runs better with the MAF disconnected then it's your MAF. No harm if you leave it unplugged.
Other than the Pierburg I have never heard of any other MAF that is suitable except the (original) Bosch. A lot of folks have had fingers burnt with other makes, especially off ebay.
If the car performs satisfactorily up to 3,000 rpm I doubt it is your MAF.
In that case do a search for the different components to clean, PCV that has a small filter element and EGR that gets gunged up. Have a look at your intercooler seals too (if blowing use Viton seals)

lazcivic
24th October 2012, 16:38
Well, I've changed the pcv filter and also unplugged the maf.
And runs like a different car, assume its the maf being unplugged that's made the difference. No hesitation when pulling off, no scary pulling into junction moments:-)
Nice to find out and better driving but now have the expense of a new maf which isn't welcome with mot and service next week:-(