PDA

View Full Version : MG ZT Rear parking sensors working but no sound ! ! !

Robster Cymru
15th October 2012, 19:47
Hi,

Hope someone can help me here and in time help someone else as well maybe?

Problem - Rear parking sensor does not make a sound at all (I've looked at numerous posts to try and find the cure).

So far I've
1) Checked the reversing lights - WORKING
2) Listened to the individual sensors for clicking sound - ALL WORKING, or at lest clicking
3) Had a look for the sounder under the parcel shelf (removed trim and looked to left hand of near side seat belt reel), can't find anything :shrug:

The car is a 53 2003 car (registered dec), has a BLACK control box for the sensors located below the auto changer in the offside of the boot.

Any ideas please, thanks

zedziczek
15th October 2012, 22:01
I used to have problems with the sensors when water from one of backlight clips were dripped on the cables and traveled to ecu, worth check ;)

johnny t
15th October 2012, 23:53
Might be the parking sensor ecu I had one that did exactly the same swapped it and hey presto sound again, this one doesn't like it if you try to reverse before you go forward, what can I say my car has got character!

Robster Cymru
21st October 2012, 14:07
thank you...have checked for water damage and all looks ok. Looking for a bargain replacement ECU on ebay now. Will update once to hand.

Nige B
21st October 2012, 14:27
send trikey a pm hes probably got one,,

vitesse-chris
21st October 2012, 14:55
thank you...have checked for water damage and all looks ok. Looking for a bargain replacement ECU on ebay now. Will update once to hand.

I have one sitting here, but depends where your sounder is? As mine is in the IPK, the car it come off was in the rear shelf...

rover54
22nd October 2012, 23:39
Isn't the sounder in the lighting switch module?

Robster Cymru
23rd October 2012, 17:25
Isn't the sounder in the lighting switch module?

I'm assuming that as I have the Black parking ECU then I should have the speaker under the parcel shelf somewhere ? but not sure, maybe someone can confirm.

Parsley
23rd October 2012, 17:40
Hi,
just having a browse through the forum when I saw this one about parking sensors My problem is just the opposite !!!! When I go in reverse I get a long continuous sound then nothing , any ideas ???

rover54
23rd October 2012, 18:32
Hi,
just having a browse through the forum when I saw this one about parking sensors My problem is just the opposite !!!! When I go in reverse I get a long continuous sound then nothing , any ideas ???
Dirty/corroded contacts in wiring behind the rear bumper. There is also a splice in the wiring loom behind the bumper that could fail.

Terry6680
23rd April 2013, 17:55
hi robster, did u get anywhere with this? I have the exact same issue and can't find any units relating to the reversing sensors in my 52 plate ZT!?

Mark2000cc
4th September 2013, 07:30
I also have the same problem, but my sounder is in my ipk, did this ever get sorted?

bochas
16th March 2017, 16:01
Reviving this old thread in case somebody figured out exactly what the problem is. My situation is as follows:
- reverse lights work
- the rear sensors all tick
- toaf shows me a message like this (translated from Polish, I wasn`t being wise enough to switch toaf to English):
21 - rear sound generator on (maybe a typo in toaf? in Polish "on" is "wlaczony", off is "wylaczony")
- error occured: 70 times (deleted the error and it reappeared with "50")
- short circuit to power feed
- existing error
- occasional error

I checked the ecu, but couldn`t figure out whether it was ok. Plugs were in sockets. I tried to lift the rear parcel, turned out more difficult than it seemed - couldn`t remove all the clips. My question is, whether - based on this information - I can definitely say it`s the buzzer, or the ecu, or something else. Don`t want to dismantle half of the car to fix it.

Ched
16th March 2017, 18:56
The speaker sits on the parcel shelf left hand side directly behind the headrest, fold the seat down and remove all the plastic plugs, you will need to remove the trim on the side as well, to do that you'll have to pull the rubber door strip off, only enough so as you can pull the side trim off, pull the trim away and lift the parcel shelf but be careful of the wires to the heated window, you will then see the sounder.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001663

bochas
17th March 2017, 14:23
Yes, I know it`s there. But as I said, I would like to find the cause BEFORE starting to dismantle the car, if it`s at all possible, based on the information I gave.

jackatesme
17th March 2017, 15:40
I had same problem, and was told if no sound when you leave lights on or move electric seat then it is definitely sounder.(buzzer).

Jim Jamieson
17th March 2017, 15:47
I wish someone knew how to fix these parking sensor issues.
Mine haven't worked for about four years but mine has a different fault.

My rear parcel shelf speaker starts ticking as soon as reverse is applied then doesn't stop until the ignition is switched off.

Rick-sta
17th March 2017, 16:04
the reverse parking sensor sounder is only fitted under the rear parcel shelf on very early models. up until around 2001 i believe. after that the sounder is built into the instrument cluster.

for later cars, if you leave your lights, switch the engine off on and open your door the sounder on the instrument cluster should make a bing noise. It should also sound 2 bings when the memory seat function is used if fitted.

If it is silent, then the sounder on your IPK is dead so it won't make a sound for the parking sensors either.

bluemalbert
18th March 2017, 12:29
the reverse parking sensor sounder is only fitted under the rear parcel shelf on very early models. up until around 2001 i believe. after that the sounder is built into the instrument cluster.

for later cars, if you leave your lights, switch the engine off on and open your door the sounder on the instrument cluster should make a bing noise. It should also sound 2 bings when the memory seat function is used if fitted.

If it is silent, then the sounder on your IPK is dead so it won't make a sound for the parking sensors either.

I have a working sounder, working sensors (ticking), changed the sensor ecu, rev lights work but no sound at sounder!! I am taking a guess at wiring fault to sounder. Can someone verify my thought and tell me how to check it? This may the issue with the original post in this thread.