PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox won't budge

Anthony.baker
15th October 2012, 21:49
HelloFor that past couple of days our MG ZT has been struggling to get into 1st gear. Today, my partner parked up for work. Went back to the car on his break and he cannot get it into gear at all when the engines running. I've been reading through other posts but I'm afraid being female, don't understand it at all. I've got my partner to try gears when engine is off after reading things on here and he can put it into gear when it's off and it stays in gear when turning engine on and starts to move just cannot change it. Neither of us have a clue about cars and definitely cannot afford the prices stating on here of how much it could be. Any idea's what it sounds like?

Dragrad
15th October 2012, 21:56
Thread moved to appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old.

Mike Noc
15th October 2012, 22:24
HelloFor that past couple of days our MG ZT has been struggling to get into 1st gear. Today, my partner parked up for work. Went back to the car on his break and he cannot get it into gear at all when the engines running. I've been reading through other posts but I'm afraid being female, don't understand it at all. I've got my partner to try gears when engine is off after reading things on here and he can put it into gear when it's off and it stays in gear when turning engine on and starts to move just cannot change it. Neither of us have a clue about cars and definitely cannot afford the prices stating on here of how much it could be. Any idea's what it sounds like?

Unfortunately it sounds like clutch hydraulic failure, a far too common problem on the 75/ZT. Either the master cylinder, which is operated by the pedal, or the slave cylinder which is at the other end of the hydraulic pipe and disengages the clutch pressure plate.

First thing to check is the level of fluid in the master cylinder reservoir, and if it is low then check for leaks. Topping it up and bleeding the system sometimes gets you going again and can buy you some time.

Changing the master cylinder is easier than changing the slave as the gearbox has to be removed to get to it, and the slave is the more likely of the two to fail.

Mike

crofts
16th October 2012, 04:05
As Mike says, first check master cylinder has fluid.
Bit fiddly as it is above clutch pedal, under the dash. Usually need a syringe with tube to put it in. Probably 1 hour to fill and bleed.
It should not be expensive for a garage to do this. Ask them if they are familiar with doing this. If not they will be faffing around working it out !
Ask at the same time for them just to have a look at the bell housing and tell you if there is any sign of clutch fluid dripping. If there is, then as Mike says, it is a slave cylinder problem and to do this is gearbox out. At the same time it is wise to renew the 2 part clutch as it's about a 5 hour job for slave and clutch and you don't want to have to do the job again later.
Just had a look and see you are in Coventry. You are lucky. Best guy in the business is Lates & is a club member. email:- [email protected] Tel:- 07958 or 07953 342167. You can phone him up to 9pm. You won't find more reliable, honest or cheaper, knows our cars backwards.

andy willi
16th October 2012, 06:47
hi i will be in coventry on sunday replacing a clutch if you want i can call in and have a look for you

andy

MrDoodles
16th October 2012, 07:28
hi i will be in coventry on sunday replacing a clutch if you want i can call in and have a look for you

andy

I was going to post to PM Andy Willi, as he is the clutch God, but he's done it already!

chris75
16th October 2012, 11:42

andy

If you can wait until Sunday , this is an offer you shouldn't refuse !!! :}
So many garages will mess you about on this one :(

Simon.h
16th October 2012, 14:56
Surely if its clutch hydraulic failure the pedal would be on the floor?

kfieldin
16th October 2012, 15:00
When mine went to the floor it was the slave cylinder - I replaced that and the clutch as I had the gearbox out. I didn't do the master and a couple hundred miles later - difficulty finding gears... Master had gone... Kept topping up until I had the pennies and time :}

Mike Noc
16th October 2012, 17:41
Surely if its clutch hydraulic failure the pedal would be on the floor?

Often but not always. With a certain amount of air in the system all you do is compress it as the pedal goes down, and then it springs back up again. :getmecoat:

jonno12
21st October 2012, 16:22
does anyone no if there was an outcome to this thread:shrug: