PDA

View Full Version : Coolant problem

Fergi
16th October 2012, 21:32
Hi guys I have a R75. 1.8 saloon I have had just around a year now it's a diesel I drove it to Ireland in march a nice little trip from oxford the car performed amazingly until the journey home. Before we left the Irish shore I had a working light come on and the car went into limp mode as it happened I was right next to a garage(handy) anyway after investigation I found that it had lost about 1-2 litres of water after topping up it was fine again all the way home and for a few weeks after it has happened agin another two times now but shows no sign of water leaks anywhere I even had a mechanic look to. The car is an absolute dream to drive smooth and quite very economical too so I am sure it is not head gasket. Would appreciate any help if possible many thanks..... Fergie oh and if anyone knows where I can pick up a diagnostic cable from that too would be great I have the odb2 but it does not fit thanks once again

COLVERT
16th October 2012, 21:43
Diesel ???

The engine is 1951 cc. Usually called a two litre engine.

Rare for diesel head gaskets to go and if they do they don't repair themselves.

More likely something like the rad filler cap is the culprit.

Or maybe a slight leak from a hose somewhere.

Normally the OAT anti-freeze leaves a telltale stain of pinkish powder.

chipsceola
17th October 2012, 08:18
Both OP message and profile say 1.8 so assume this is correct. This cooling system can leak when cooling down and be very hard to trace where. Suspect all hose connections.especially the T-piece (or Y piece as case may be) behind radiator, and braided hoses that can be porous. System needs checking when cold, and level brought to bottom of fins, above this mark will only push fluid out as engine heats up.
Chips

NB As Colvert says, can also be filler cap leaking past seals, replace seals or new cap from Xpart dealer.

Mike Noc
18th October 2012, 19:38
Chips the profile says 18 mate, and if he's been filling up with diesel it's doing remarkably well if it's a K series.:shrug::shrug::shrug:

So Fergie if you have got a K then mysterious leaks can commonly be due to the inlet manifold gasket, and for the M47R the thermostat housing.

Mike

COLVERT
18th October 2012, 22:03
hi guys i have a r75. 1.8 saloon i have had just around a year now it's a diesel i drove it to ireland in march a nice little trip from oxford the car performed amazingly until the journey home. Before we left the irish shore i had a working light come on and the car went into limp mode as it happened i was right next to a garage(handy) anyway after investigation i found that it had lost about 1-2 litres of water after topping up it was fine again all the way home and for a few weeks after it has happened agin another two times now but shows no sign of water leaks anywhere i even had a mechanic look to. The car is an absolute dream to drive smooth and quite very economical too so i am sure it is not head gasket. Would appreciate any help if possible many thanks..... Fergie oh and if anyone knows where i can pick up a diagnostic cable from that too would be great i have the odb2 but it does not fit thanks once again

oil burner mr chips> ;););)

chipsceola
19th October 2012, 00:27
Pity OP hasn't been back to clarify engine, while he say's diesel he also clearly say's 1.8 and profile states 18, obviously an error/errors somewhere - without confirmation from OP who's to say what is correct interpretation?
Chips

rover54
19th October 2012, 09:34
Fergi has a 1.8 1999 model, posted another thread about coolant loss http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=127096. Perhaps mod can merge these threads into one to prevent members replying twice to one problem.

beejay
19th October 2012, 09:59
I've been having coolant loss for sometime on my 1.8, well documented, and finally has been resolved, Inlet Manifold Gasket:bowdown:, well I've not had a loss of any kind for over a week, no pink patches on the driveway or loss from header tank. everything totally dry as should be, that's the last thing garage checked when it should have been the first:shrug:
Its been quite a costly exercise to arrive at this result.