PDA

View Full Version : Keeping a battery alive

Petrolize
17th October 2012, 10:22
I have been left in charge of a car while the owner is away, I was told the battery is quite weak, but didn't realise how weak it was until yesterday - started it in the morning (around 8am), yet when I tried in the evening, 7pm, it struggled a bit too start. I started it afterwards around 11pm and once again this morning with a view to continuing this procedure. Is this the correct way about it until the owner comes back? (1.5 weeks, possibly more).

Buying a new battery isn't an option as its not my car and know the owner does not want to spend any money on it since it is sure to be scrapped come MOT time (aprox 1.5months away). I am not insured on the car so giving the a car a run is not an option either.

Any advice most welcome.

Chas2008
17th October 2012, 10:36
I have been left in charge of a car while the owner is away, I was told the battery is quite weak, but didn't realise how weak it was until yesterday - started it in the morning (around 8am), yet when I tried in the evening, 7pm, it struggled a bit too start. I started it afterwards around 11pm and once again this morning with a view to continuing this procedure. Is this the correct way about it until the owner comes back? (1.5 weeks, possibly more).

Buying a new battery isn't an option as its not my car and know the owner does not want to spend any money on it since it is sure to be scrapped come MOT time (aprox 1.5months away). I am not insured on the car so giving the a car a run is not an option either.

Any advice most welcome.

Hi Bm55,

Is the car a Rover/MG?

If so first of all read this post:
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=106447

Then I would suggest charging the battery whilst it is still installed in the car, or jump starting the car from your car.

Obviously the battery is run down and needs to be recharged. Hope this helps.

Chas

Mr_Shed
17th October 2012, 10:40

Any advice most welcome.

HI, I wouldn't keep starting the car in this manner, it will only drain the battery after a day or two.

Typically you will have to do between 6 to 10 miles to replace the power used just from starting the car. Hence why some people have battery problems if they do lots short journeys especially in winter with lights, heaters and demist on drawing more power.

Be worth putting battery on slow charge to bring back up into condition i.e. Optimate trickle charger.

Petrolize
17th October 2012, 10:46
No, its a 01 Saab I'm afraid. Not wanting to buy a trickle charger as soon the car will be back in constant use and shouldn't be an issue. Would driving the car about 15-20mins in the evening do the trick?

Mr_Shed
17th October 2012, 10:49
No, its a 01 Saab I'm afraid. Not wanting to buy a trickle charger as soon the car will be back in constant use and shouldn't be an issue. Would driving the car about 15-20mins in the evening do the trick?
As long as it gets a run with about min 6 miles should be OK, other side is leave it and jump start when your friend collects it.

Petrolize
17th October 2012, 11:03
Thanks, will try this. I remember having a flat battery and having to call the AA who said to run the car every 1-2 days, for 5 mins, even if not going anywhere, until a replacement battery has been bought.