PDA

View Full Version : pcv filter

rasa
17th October 2012, 14:29
just changed my crank case breather filter, took about 20 mins from start to finish, i would just like to point out that i did not have to take the three retaining bolts out of the fuel line and lift the t piece out of them, once i had taken the three torx screws out there was easy enough room to take the filter housing out. anyway my filter was as oily as an arabs bore hole. kept the filter and am going to clean it and use this as my replacement the next time i change it, what is the best way of cleaning the filter of all the oil without destroying it.

Holy Count
17th October 2012, 15:01
Mine came out without removing these bolts too :-) I am selling the oil back to Saudi !!!

I could be wrong, but a petrol bath should do the cleaning.

rasa
17th October 2012, 15:04
was going to clean it with petrol , but was just wondering if it was a bit harsh and could damage the filter in some way. i will also clean it with detergent after cleaned with petrol.

Mark2000cc
17th October 2012, 17:08
Can't see the point in getting all gunked up when a new one is less than a 5 er and it only needs changing every 2 services?

rasa
17th October 2012, 17:44
where for a fiver, mine cost £12 delivered

Mark2000cc
17th October 2012, 18:17
I will try and find a link, i know it was labelled as a freelander one, but its same engine and exactly the same product.

ceedy
17th October 2012, 18:18
where for a fiver, mine cost £12 delivered

heres a few (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=LLJ500010&_sacat=0&_odkw=landrover+breather+filter&_sop=15&_osacat=0&_from=R40)... close but ..never seen a fivers one tho' ;)

:getmecoat:

Mark2000cc
17th October 2012, 18:25
heres a few (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=LLJ500010&_sacat=0&_odkw=landrover+breather+filter&_sop=15&_osacat=0&_from=R40)... close but ..never seen a fivers one tho' ;)

:getmecoat:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-MG-ZT-ZTT-CDT-CDTI-Crankcase-Breather-Filter-LLJ500010-/230863357336?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35c0874598

Well thats suprised me,i bought and fitted mine 6 months ago so in that time the price has jumped £3!!
I honestly paid £4.99 delivered for mine!
I still think under £8 for 2 years worth of service,is enough to convince me to just throw the old one away and fit a brand new shiny one!:D
Now if it was £20 odd then i would be getting my hands dirty!

Mark2000cc
17th October 2012, 18:28
Ceedy....have you seen the differances in the prices??? the bottom one is £33!!! and its exactly the same as the top one,beggers belief eh?:shrug::D

HarryM1BYT
17th October 2012, 18:39
what is the best way of cleaning the filter of all the oil without destroying it.

Twerps, petrol, parrafin will get the dirt and oil out of it just fine.

Mark2000cc
17th October 2012, 18:39
Another good reason to buy new,is you get the replacement new gaskets in the kit,i would not like to reuse the old gaskets incase they have perished a bit(im thinking original intercooler o rings?)

rasa
17th October 2012, 18:48
the gaskets and o ring were in good nick, so much so that i was going to leave them in . do not know wen the last time it was changed though, i assume it has been changed in the past as i have been told that the original was a bit larger .

Mark2000cc
17th October 2012, 18:51
Thats right the original is larger,if your happy cleaning it mate thats fine,and the gaskets probably would be ok for a few years.
Suppose its just personal preferance:)

Singvogel
17th October 2012, 19:04
Well I can't be bothered with that silly little cotton piece of nonsense! :p:

I fitted the BMW upgade part - the plastic Vortex / Cyclone Oil Separator (a la Dyson style)

It can't choke up or block and is virtually 'fit and forget'.

I say virtually as it need to be given a rinse in petrol/spirits every 100K. ;)

It costs £23.40 including VAT from any BMW dealer.

Singvogel. :cool:

Mark2000cc
17th October 2012, 19:08
Well I can't be bothered with that silly little cotton piece of nonsense! :p:

I fitted the BMW upgade part - the plastic Vortex / Cyclone Oil Separator (a la Dyson style)

It can't choke up or block and is virtually 'fit and forget'.

I say virtually as it need to be given a rinse in petrol/spirits every 100K. ;)

It costs £23.40 including VAT from any BMW dealer.

Singvogel. :cool:
i would have to keep my car another 6/7 years to make that economical for me,and the way i get through cars it aint gonna happen!:o:}

rasa
18th October 2012, 06:46
already got it standing in a cup of petrol. then i rembered i had some thinners from decorating, the price of petrol these days, tthe amount i used to put in the cup probably cost 50p.thats about 100 square yards of my lawn i could have mown, speaking of mowing , i just bought a self propelled mower which the missus cannot use , and she used to use the non self propelled one easy ,wat a bollock i have dropped.

ProfDave
18th October 2012, 18:29
already got it standing in a cup of petrol. then i rembered i had some thinners from decorating, the price of petrol these days, tthe amount i used to put in the cup probably cost 50p.thats about 100 square yards of my lawn i could have mown, speaking of mowing , i just bought a self propelled mower which the missus cannot use , and she used to use the non self propelled one easy ,wat a bollock i have dropped.

I would say yah to Petrol and Ney to Thinners; the latter can be quite aggressive to plastic components.

I think I will take the Singvogel approach at the next service interval as its only about 15 quid more (although I will not be forgetting it and will have a look once in a while!)

I prefer Dyson to Hoover:D

Singvogel
18th October 2012, 19:12
I would say yah to Petrol and Ney to Thinners; the latter can be quite aggressive to plastic components.

I think I will take the Singvogel approach at the next service interval as its only about 15 quid more (although I will not be forgetting it and will have a look once in a while!)

I prefer Dyson to Hoover:D

I agree Prof - no trouble to have a look inside - I doubt if I will leave it for 100K - but it's no longer a worry / bother.

Be sure to get the right part:

BMW Part No. B11.12.7.799.367

as they may try to sell you the whole kit and caboodle including the cover - which costs around £65 !

Singvogel.

ProfDave
18th October 2012, 19:18
I agree Prof - no trouble to have a look inside - I doubt if I will leave it for 100K - but it's no longer a worry / bother.

Be sure to get the right part:

BMW Part No. B11.12.7.799.367

as they may try to sell you the whole kit and caboodle including the cover - which costs around £65 !

Singvogel.

thanks will do; noted part number on my phone (stupid apple device mind you which since software 'upgrade' cannot hold charge!)

rasa
19th October 2012, 05:49
just looked at this thread now (before i put it in thinners) so will just put some more evil juice in.as evaporated over night, might even put it in a jam jar as so not to evaporate and have to but some more evil juice.