PDA

View Full Version : Replaced Catch - Now Can't Open Door!

Jakg
18th October 2012, 12:59
Had a faulty door lock solenoid, replaced it with a second hand one, all worked fine.

Went for a drive, then tried to get out - couldn't.

If I pull the handle (inside or outside) there isn't much resistance, but the door doesn't open.

As the door is now closed with the door card in place (!), i'm a bit stuffed!

Help!

stocktake
18th October 2012, 14:02
Usually when this happens it is the white plastic wrap around clip that is in the wrong position on the threaded bar :(
Only option is to loosen the door card from the rear of the door ( removing the phillips screw in the door handle) you will be unable to remove the whole card due to the further screw that is hidden behind the a pillar .
Fact is you need to get your hand in to disconnect the clip from the bar. I have managed it with a rear door but never had to do a front one.

Future reference for others reading this thread:

When fitting a replacement door lock, ALWAYS check the full operation of the lock before refitting the card and ALWAYS open a window so no matter what you have access to the car ;)

Jakg
18th October 2012, 15:09
When fitting a replacement door lock, ALWAYS check the full operation of the lock before refitting the card and ALWAYS open a window so no matter what you have access to the car ;)
I did test it and it worked fine, but 35 miles later I couldn't get out.

I cut my hands to bit fitting the new lock, not looking forward to this :(

stocktake
18th October 2012, 15:46
Just check the cable is sitting in the inside handle correctly, long shot, but sometimes removing the outer cable from handle makes the tiniest of differences.

Jakg
18th October 2012, 16:15
Just check the cable is sitting in the inside handle correctly, long shot, but sometimes removing the outer cable from handle makes the tiniest of differences.

Tried that but no luck :(

I've got the door card pinned back and my arm up inside, but it's very difficult to reach :(

Jakg
18th October 2012, 17:40
I've managed to get the door card sort of off

http://i.imgur.com/s7lTM.jpg

I've tried operating the catch by hand, but I haven't been successful.

Heres what I have inside the door (picture stolen from another thread). I think the rod has now come away from the plastic. I've tried operating the lever but I don't think it's working.

I've tried pulling the cable as well, no joy :(

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu22/pab17964/005-3.jpg

Any ideas?

If someone wants to come to my house, try and suceed there will be a £ reward!

Help :(

stocktake
18th October 2012, 17:48
If you have managed to open the clip as the one in the picture then you should be able to open the door with the inner handle. If you have done all this and still the door will not open from the inside then it is a problem i have not come across, sorry. :(

Jakg
18th October 2012, 17:49
If you have managed to open the clip as the one in the picture then you should be able to open the door with the inner handle. If you have done all this and still the door will not open from the inside then it is a problem i have not come across, sorry. :(
I haven't managed to open the clip, i've just been pulling it down. Is this the problem? *

The inner handle does nothing.

* I really ****** hope it is, otherwise I'll fetch the petrol and matches!

stocktake
18th October 2012, 17:53
Open the clip, try the door from the inside ;)

As per my post:

"Fact is you need to get your hand in to disconnect the clip from the bar"

Jakg
18th October 2012, 17:55
Is that light at the end of the tunnel?

Brilliant - I'll try it tomorrow!

In the mean time, I have to either jump in from the passenger seat or jump in dukes of hazzard style...

stocktake
19th October 2012, 18:44
Well?........

Jakg
19th October 2012, 20:46
Well?........

Rain stopped me trying today, got to try tomorrow before work :(

Jakg
19th October 2012, 21:42
I cut my hands to bit fitting the new lock, not looking forward to this :(For reference, all of these cuts and scratches were done fitting it in the first place...

http://i.imgur.com/tHbuT.jpg

Similar ones all over my hands :(

Jakg
21st October 2012, 12:13
Great success, my door is open!

I think the white plastic "connector" must of had it.

After adjusting and fiddling with it a few times it seems to be ok having replaced it. Running with the door card off for a few days until I'm sure it's ok...

stocktake
21st October 2012, 15:09
Glad you finally got it sorted Jack, It has happened to me a couple of times, if the clip is connected to the bar wrongly it seems to hold the lock in limbo :shrug: (1st time it took me over 2 hours to get in, just like yourself, cut to ribbons, working blind and not knowing what I was trying to achieve:shrug:.)

If the door doesn't open from eitherside i have found it to be that clip every time so far :)

Trick is to look at how many threads are sticking through the bottom of the clip and refit the same. As to the number of threads i have seen it range from 3 to 12 :eek:

Oh, and locating, opening the clip, without being able to see it, with one finger is an art I have now just about perfected ;) :D ( Ask Pab :D )