PDA

View Full Version : Advice required from Yorkshire/Lancashire members

ballymenaman
18th October 2012, 16:59
I am travelling over to Leeds Bradford airport on Saturday morning to pick up my new 75. I am travelling back home to Norhern Ireland via Cairnryan on the scottish west coast. The AA route planner is telling me that the quickest way to get home is via the A65, joining up with the M6 near Kendal. My gut instinct is to travel to Burnley and get onto the M65. I know the latter route is longer, but I would think cruising on the motorways at 70mph would be less stressful than an A road. I need to make sure I get to Cairnryan for 7pm, leaving Leeds Airport around 11-12-ish. Bear in mind its a Saturday.
Many thanks!

Goodtimegaz
18th October 2012, 17:10
I am travelling over to Leeds Bradford airport on Saturday morning to pick up my new 75. I am travelling back home to Norhern Ireland via Cairnryan on the scottish west coast. The AA route planner is telling me that the quickest way to get home is via the A65, joining up with the M6 near Kendal. My gut instinct is to travel to Burnley and get onto the M65. I know the latter route is longer, but I would think cruising on the motorways at 70mph would be less stressful than an A road. I need to make sure I get to Cairnryan for 7pm, leaving Leeds Airport around 11-12-ish. Bear in mind its a Saturday.
Many thanks!

Picking up the M65 at Burnley is a nicer and less stressfull drive,especialy in a new car, allbeit a bit longer.
Gaz

stocktake
18th October 2012, 17:10
The A65 is a lovely road, when it's quiet. stuck behind a couple of wagons and it's a mare. The road also has varying speed restrictions from 60mph to an identical stretch that is now 40mph. along with plod and his cameras :)

My opinion only :)

cargocar
18th October 2012, 17:23
If its sunny the A65 Yorkshire Dales will have a fair number of rambler/walkers traffic. Football matches are most likely causes of M/way traffic problems.

IanDCW
18th October 2012, 18:12
I use the the A65 a lot, going up to Carlisle, and love the road. But I'm never in a hurry, and like the scenery, so I would use it, but I can see why the M65 road would be better via Burnley if you are in a hurry :}

And you have a lot further to go than me!

t140pete
18th October 2012, 18:20
I'd use the M65/M6 - longer but usually quicker and less stressful. The scenic route is not nice if the weather's foul, and after dark you get blinded by headlights.

pab
18th October 2012, 18:22
The A65 is a very scenic road to take,only for a leisurely cruise. As previously stated some of the faster areas of the route are now under restrictions and speed cameras.

On a Sunday it's full of motorbikes making their way to Ingleton and Kirkby Lonsdale for tea and bacon sandwiches,and bike club meets.

FredSpencer
18th October 2012, 19:09
The scenic route can also have agricultural traffic on it, even at the weekend, and then you go even slower.

pab
18th October 2012, 19:17
About forty years ago I was involved in a car accident just before Clapham.A car was overtaking on double white lines when it hit the car my Father was driving,a Triumph 2.5 PI. I know the exact spot on the road and every time I pass it brings back the memory.

Fortunately there was know injuries to either parties.

Canonite
18th October 2012, 21:01
I always go up the A1 and over the A66 though not exactly ideal from Leeds/Bradford.
It's a nice drive though, and a bit better now they've opened the A75 up a little bit more so you're not sat behind the wagons all the way in from Gretna.

Roman
18th October 2012, 21:38
Look out for speed camera vans on the bridges between junctions 37 to 38 of the M6.

Tebay services nr junc 38 has nice food.

I'd be inclined to stay on the A65 personally, even though it's a little slower the route is straight forward and direct. Should take around 1hr 30min.

Have a safe trip!

ballymenaman
19th October 2012, 15:53
Looks like I'll have to toss a coin........

Roman
25th October 2012, 08:56
I hope you got back OK?

MartynNW
26th October 2012, 19:29
Personally i would go viaBurnley on the M65 Motorway, especially as the weather forecast could mean frrezing conditions and the A roads not being as well salted as the motorway.
Just take it easy and alllow some contingency time for any roadworks / accidents. It's a marathon not a sprint.
Enjoy the car.

ballymenaman
26th October 2012, 22:38
Hi folks,

Went up over the A65. Just lovely countryside. Only hitch on whole journey back was the A75 outside Dumfries, where there is a diversion. First time I'd been to Yorkshire. Gorgeous part of the world. Intend to come back!
The new 75 never missed a beat the whole journey.