PDA

View Full Version : 1.8s have alook at your top hoses

Jay160
20th October 2012, 12:55
well today my silicone hose arrived to replace the top hose

and it was only when i took it off to have a good look and found this under the clip that holds the return feed pipe and it had started to split under the clip

and the end was very very soft .. worth a check i think :)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/314246_10152231160080647_291105662_n.jpg

looks nice i think now :)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/525778_10152231159790647_2068233265_n.jpg

danbmx_69
20th October 2012, 13:10
thats lovely mate, where did you get the ouse kit form as wouldnt mind a green set for mine

Jay160
20th October 2012, 14:33
there are no hose kits so making my own up

mrsilicone on fleabay at the moment has abit of a sale on

so its acase of getting angles and joiners :) and will work out alot cheaper than a kit

ive just done the complete top lot for £15.00 free p&P

where as the hose from rimmers nearly 65.00 + p&P

and will never have to change them ,, not to mention the pretty factor :D

Anthony & Maricel
20th October 2012, 14:49
have you got a link or information for the size hose to purchase ??

Jay160
20th October 2012, 15:19
here you go

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170655559464?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130463707468?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170731923084?var=470047584884&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

had to cut both sides of the elbow to keep a nice line
cut the 250mm and that leaves you plenty to do the small peice to the rad

wilcos doing jubilee clips 90p for 2 :)

stevesav
20th October 2012, 15:42
Looking good Jay, still no alloy inlet manifold:confused: lol.
Steve

Jay160
20th October 2012, 16:38
hi m8 lol yeah was waiting for that ..
had few probs mrs mother in hospital last few weeks so not had much time :mad:

but .. i started to polish it and had a change of heart/plan on it so its not going to be polished but still engraved ..
its half way there at the moment :drool4:

mick160
21st October 2012, 07:26
well today my silicone hose arrived to replace the top hose

and it was only when i took it off to have a good look and found this under the clip that holds the return feed pipe and it had started to split under the clip

and the end was very very soft .. worth a check i think :)

good advice there Jay ;)

while my hose wasn't splitting it had gone porous and you could see the coolant seeping through it once it was up to pressure, especially along the seam.

loving the look of your engine bay Jay - especially those polished air con pipes - shiny!! :D

Jay160
21st October 2012, 07:33
morning mick
yes the same here you could see the fibers all stained pink and it was all breaking up

im now waiting for the rest to start to tell me they have had enough to :D

making your own i think is the way to go .. much cheaper and better than new

and its not realy worth 2nd hand as they will probably be the same

i still have abit to do on the engine bay :)

Anthony & Maricel
21st October 2012, 08:41
Cool thanks, I changed my top hose 3 years ago as mine went where the clip is, it thins out because of the vibration from the Engine over time. But since mine is getting on for 14 years old, it is time to change the other hoses as well before one of them fails.

danbmx_69
21st October 2012, 19:39
how about the one that goes straght down form the t price and to the prt kit, that ones going to be a ****** to make

Jay160
21st October 2012, 20:13
Not realy i dont think :)

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/ItemImages/Large/GRID001583.gif

Comming from top down

Straight 32mm to 100mm alloy connector to 90 bend to alloy 50mm alloy connector with either a peice of flexi 32mm

not sure if the prt is 32mm yet may have to get a reducer

well see :shrug:

danbmx_69
21st October 2012, 20:26
i am going to watch this thred, as i have also found a company that dose matalic green hoses, so soon will be makeing my own set useing the info form this thred, and i do think it will help alot of us 1.8T owners :)

Jay160
21st October 2012, 20:30
at the meet today though someone did mention that the OAT antifreeze is no good with silicone as it will eat the sillicone

but my question how quickly :shrug:

im going to call a few places and maybe even a call to ASH to find out how they stand up to OAT

and if it does i think my solution will e swapping to evans waterless stuff :)

danbmx_69
21st October 2012, 20:56
at the meet today though someone did mention that the OAT antifreeze is no good with silicone as it will eat the sillicone

im going to call a few places and maybe even a call to ASH to find out how they stand up to OAT

i also heard this but it made me think if it would eat away at it so bad why would companys make silicon hose kits for the k series?

Jay160
21st October 2012, 21:07
well my idea is to make it as bullet proof as possible

once the whole lot has been done and alloy manifold ect

i think it would make sense to use the waterless stuff anyway .. pricey but no pressure

i think will only get a good answer from the guys that make it ;)

mick160
22nd October 2012, 07:47

Hmm, that's a bit worrying.

Surely though most modern cars use OAT and silicone cooling hose kits are available for most cars. If there was a serious problem with OAT and silicone then loads of people would have had problems but I've not heard of any? :shrug:

Jay160
22nd October 2012, 07:58
yes ive read on a few places mick last night saying the same

but they say the same question .. the arguement is is how long? and there doesnt seam to be an answer

well spose its best to do a test :)

ill fill two jars with 50/50 mix and some need oat and put some of the off cuts in them so can keep an eye on them ;

ill even bring some up to a high temp to .. only thing i can think of

and ill phone ASH later

Jay160
22nd October 2012, 09:48
had a nice chat with the guy at ASH this morning and basicly yes over time it have an effect on there pipes

but even he says they dont know how long or by how much :shrug:

He did say that if you use oat they will not cover the hoses .. pretty much gathered that :D

But there are going to phone the makers to see if they have done any tests to see how bad it does to the hoses

Discussing our cars he said going the waterless route would be the best option

so with the price you save on there hoses and the exspensive replacement hoses oem ..
i carnt see being out of pocket :shrug:

mick160
23rd October 2012, 18:41
I've just got a little update regarding the OAT and silicone issue.

Firstly, this is the antifreeze that i used;

http://www.commaoil.com/productsguide/view/6/352

Its OAT but has added silicates.

I emailed Comma regarding the issue of OAT and silicone hoses.

Here is the email i sent;

Hi,

I have recently changed some of my coolant hoses for silicone hose and cleaned out my cooling system and re-filled with xstream G40. Since then i have read that OAT coolant can react with and eat away silicone. Can you tell me if that is the case with the G40 too? Any information you could provide on the subject would be most helpful and gratefully recieved.

Many Thanks,

and here is the reply i reieved;

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your enquiry.

This is not something that we have come across so I am happy to say that there is no such issue.

If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kindest Regards

Fiona Turville
Senior Sales/Service Co-ordinator/Export & GEMA
Email: [email protected] (wlmailhtml:{32CC9C63-D735-42ED-84D8-01E4B97B144E}mid://00000015/!x-usc:mailto:[email protected])

So according to Comma they dont know of any issues regarding this antifreeze and the use of silicone hoses. Whether or not this is the case only time will tell i suppose. :shrug:

Jay160
23rd October 2012, 20:11
thats good news mick

well yesterday i had a nice chat with a guy at evans coolants

and ill be going there route

for 5ltrs of there waterless is around 64.00 inc vat

there flush is around 33.00 for 5 ltrs the flush can be reused though until it holds a certain percentage of water .. think he said max 40%

there will be a machine comming out in few weeks to measure the % of water you have in the flush around 35.00

how it works

change all hoses
drop bottom hose empty oat . then through top hose small amount of air pressure to push out all the oat so keeps your flush much more reuseable
fill with flush ,, they said 5 ltrs is fine for flush ..
bring engine up to running temp
check for leaks on system
once again drop bottom again and air pushed through ..
refill with there waterless and forget :)

bulk order

around 225.00 for 25ltrs coolant
around 105 for 25ltrs flush :)

robmac
23rd October 2012, 20:45
i'd be gutted to spend that much on some "magic" coolant just to lose it all through a dodgy waterpump leaking!!....think i'll stick with oat..but each to their own and fair play to you.

Jay160
23rd October 2012, 20:47
i wont be putting it in till everything has been changed :)

new water pump waiting in garage to go on at same time

my thoughts are i could have spent around 450 on a dd unit which is no good when a hose can go on these and have to spend abit on hg ect .. if lucky

danbmx_69
23rd October 2012, 21:10
out of intrest jay, what other mods power wise have you done to your 160 if you dont mind me asking?

Jay160
23rd October 2012, 21:14
nothing at the moment :)

only had the car since feb

power wise it will be going for a remap to 190

and tf 135cams

but not till its got all this done and 190 brakes on

danbmx_69
23rd October 2012, 21:27
tidy, mine is going for maping on the weekend, do you know if you can use the VVC exhaust cam for more power, so get two and change them
this one i am talking about
http://www.ptp-ltd.co.uk/shop/253_147/mg_rover/mg_zr__rover_25/engine_components/vvc_exhaust_camshaft,_with_270_profile_by_piper_ca ms.htm

as i have one of these just sitting here was ment to go in my old 200 vi, so all i would need is another one?

danbmx_69
23rd October 2012, 21:31
i dont see why it wouldnt work as alot of the TF owners use a pair off vvc exhaust cams in the 135 engine to get more power, and all that piper one is, is a reground vvc exhaust cam to give you more lift?

Jay160
23rd October 2012, 21:33
i think i read somewhere that the vvc cams wont fit .. wouldnt like to say for sure

think theres a thread on cams somewhere .. or someone abit more techi ,might be able to answer that one

Jay160
23rd October 2012, 21:38
ive had two 135s and if you wanted to upgrade to 160vvc you would have to install a whole vvc head plus the vvc contoller plus ecu or remap

not realy worth it when on a remap they can get 190 from the turbo which i think is morethan enough

most of the time i have me little one and the mrs with me so its not for thrashing around .. just seeing what i can do with out going to over the top

and abit of fun when on me own :D

danbmx_69
23rd October 2012, 21:51
i am on about though just useing two vvc exhaust cams as i am pritty sure the vvc cam is the same as a 135 cam but the vvc one just gives more lift

Jay160
23rd October 2012, 21:57
wouldnt like to say ..
maybe another thread and the more techi guys could give you answer on that one