PDA

View Full Version : Retrofitting a LPG car with a new engine

stuadh
21st October 2012, 15:17
This thread is in conjunction with my other one (Snapped timing Belt - Valves Question). Long story short - timing belt snapped, likely serious internal damage to my LPG V6. Now, with the car fitted for LPG and the system being sound, how easy / expensive is it to buy a new V6 (£300-400) and have it converted to LPG? Is it simply a matter of having the heads drilled? I have removed and refitted my engine recently, including renovating the LPG system with new rubbers, so I'm comfortable working with it. I just need to work out what I would need to do to the donor engine.

Yours Aye

Stuadh

rover54
21st October 2012, 15:33
This thread is in conjunction with my other one (Snapped timing Belt - Valves Question). Long story short - timing belt snapped, likely serious internal damage to my LPG V6. Now, with the car fitted for LPG and the system being sound, how easy / expensive is it to buy a new V6 (£300-400) and have it converted to LPG? Is it simply a matter of having the heads drilled? I have removed and refitted my engine recently, including renovating the LPG system with new rubbers, so I'm comfortable working with it. I just need to work out what I would need to do to the donor engine.

Yours Aye

Stuadh
Just swap the inlet manifolds over or drill 6 x 6mm holes in the inlet manifolds after you have removed them. Don't drill them in situ as swarf can enter the cylinders and you could be back to square 1. Fit new inlet manifold gaskets.

Simon.h
21st October 2012, 15:35
You just need to swap the inlet manifolds over.

Astraeus
21st October 2012, 16:16
You just need to swap the inlet manifolds over.

Hi

Agree just swap the inlet mainfolds, job done. I fitted a donor car's LPG kit to mine. Just swapped inlet manifolds, and plugged in ECU and away it went first time! (Mind you I had to fit the tank etc as well as mine dind't have LPG originally.)
Should be a breeze. Change the gasket of course.

Chris

stuadh
22nd October 2012, 07:11
Thanks for the replies, but I can't believe you when you say that it is an easy job. My experience with my poor ZT-T over the last 18 months is that if it can be more complicated or expensive, it will be. :rolleyes:

Right, I reckon I'll should start looking into recondiitoned engines. probably much easier than repairing cracked linings.

Looks like I'll be enjoying another winter on the North German plain with only a motorbike to get around.

Stuadh

SD1too
22nd October 2012, 08:16
Right, I reckon I'll should start looking into recondiitoned engines.
Be careful; ask yourself what guarantee you're getting that the engine has been reconditioned, and what exactly has been done and by whom.
... probably much easier than repairing cracked linings.
I think that's debatable. But you don't actually know for sure that the linings are cracked do you?
The advantage of repairing your own engine is that it's the devil you know. You're going to be removing it anyway, so why not go the extra mile and repair it? It might turn out to be easier than you think.

Good luck with it.

Simon.

rover54
22nd October 2012, 17:48
Have you taken the heads off and investigated what damage has been done, it might just be valves. I would be surprised if a timing belt failure ended up creating a cracked liner. Heads are removable with engine still in the car. Assume valves are bent, but if you want to investigate the bores with the heads on spend a couple £ an buy a borascope off the bay and stick it down the spark plug openings.