PDA

View Full Version : Standard tyre/tracking specs?

French_Rover
21st October 2012, 15:57
I'm looking for the standard tyre specs for a 2000 Rover 75, along with reccomended tracking angles.
Since I had the tracking done a few days ago, pulling the wheels to full lock makes them scrape on the inside of the wheel arches, destroying the plastic linings.
Either my car has wheels that are too large, which makes them hit the inner plastic of the arches or the "trustworthy" man at the garage I took it to bodged the tracking/used incorrect angles...

Any help is greatly appreciated as always! Thank you.

David Lawrence
21st October 2012, 16:11
I'm looking for the standard tyre specs for a 2000 Rover 75, along with reccomended tracking angles.
Since I had the tracking done a few days ago, pulling the wheels to full lock makes them scrape on the inside of the wheel arches, destroying the plastic linings.
Either my car has wheels that are too large, which makes them hit the inner plastic of the arches or the "trustworthy" man at the garage I took it to bodged the tracking/used incorrect angles...

Any help is greatly appreciated as always! Thank you.

If they bodged the tracking that much, you'd feel something wrong when you drive it even in a straight line I would have thought. You might have a coincidental problem, and they disturbed something while they had the car on the ramp.
What size are your wheels and tyres? And do you have any pictures of where they are rubbing on the liners?

As a matter of interest what is the reason you had the tracking done?

T-Cut
21st October 2012, 16:42
I can't see how the tracking can affect the limit of steering. The front swivel hubs have travel stops that are independent of the tracking. If your wheels/tyres are over sized enough to rub the body, then they will put the speedometer out of spec (illegal). Could the wheel arch liners have been moved or be mis-fitted?

Here's the tracking specs. Only front and rear toe is adjustable.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/waveguide/Steering_Stuff/Wheel_Alignment_Data.jpg

The 'unladen condition' I would assume is the standard kerb weight. If so, it means the unoccupied car with a half full tank.

TC

French_Rover
21st October 2012, 16:47
Well I can't feel anything wrong when I'm driving (whereas I did before).
I have 16" 215/55/16s now. My dad has a 75 Estate fitted with 15" wheels and it looks more "standard".

T-Cut
21st October 2012, 16:57
I think the arch liner rubbing is a separate issue from the tracking. If the tyres are rubbing it needs urgent investigation.

TC

french dave
21st October 2012, 17:40
I think the arch liner rubbing is a separate issue from the tracking. If the tyres are rubbing it needs urgent investigation.

TC
This is my sons car with the problem. The issue is that before we changed track rod ends, the tyres didn't foul the wheel arch inner liner. After fitting the new ones it was OK. However after tracking was carried out it does foul the liner. I do not think the liner is the issue.
He will check what figures the garage used in the morning, to see if they have set it up correctly.
The wheel and tyre size is a standard rover set up as shown in his handbook. The question is that could the suspension set up be different for a 16 inch rim than a 15 inch rim.
I suspect they should be exacly the same?
So we come round again to the French garage getting something wrong.
what do you think.

T-Cut
21st October 2012, 18:00
I can't see how it's possible to create a tyre rub by changing the toe. However, accurate tracking requires everything else to be in spec. If there's any slop in the lower ball joint or the front race is worn, it's possible to generate a rub when it was 'OK' before. Also note that correct front setting must be done against the rears after they have first been set for toe/thrust angle. Omitting the rears wouldn't in itself cause front tyre rub, but it could all be out of spec.

Tracking specs are independent of the wheel/tyre size.

TC

french dave
21st October 2012, 21:07
I can't see how it's possible to create a tyre rub by changing the toe. However, accurate tracking requires everything else to be in spec. If there's any slop in the lower ball joint or the front race is worn, it's possible to generate a rub when it was 'OK' before. Also note that correct front setting must be done against the rears after they have first been set for toe/thrust angle. Omitting the rears wouldn't in itself cause front tyre rub, but it could all be out of spec.

Tracking specs are independent of the wheel/tyre size.

TC
the french garge said that they coundn't adjust the rear as it was siezed. It was close but out?
We changed the passenger side lower ball joint, for its french MOT , and then took it to get tracked. The first visit said cahange the track rod end on the drivers side first, so we changed them both, and then had the tracking done, after this the problem started.
will look to see if we have play on any other front parts as well as checking that the freench garage worked to the correct angles.
Will report back.
regards
Dave