PDA

View Full Version : Help with clutch problem.

Simon.h
21st October 2012, 18:00
Hi all,

After my clutch turned into a 'button clutch' on Friday, i checked under bell housing and its nice and dry. I then topped up the master cylinder and tryed to bled but with every 4/5th push down on clutch i only get a small amount of fluid out out the nipple.
And now the clutch is on the floor!

Any ideas??

andy willi
21st October 2012, 19:45
by an easy bleed kit from a motor discount shop and pressure bleed it but i think your slave has failed sorry for the bad news if you were closer i could help

andy

Simon.h
21st October 2012, 19:51
Cheers, but why is there no clutch fluid coming out of the bled nipple?

VXman
21st October 2012, 20:16
When my clutch dropped to the floor it was the master cylinder not the slave. A much cheaper job.

andy willi
21st October 2012, 20:20
you could have an air lock try the easy bleed it works for me

andy

ahp
21st October 2012, 20:23
Cheers, but why is there no clutch fluid coming out of the bled nipple?
When topping up with fluid, you did pull the rubber "condom" seal out of the reservoir before pouring in the fluid?

HarryM1BYT
21st October 2012, 20:36
When topping up with fluid, you did pull the rubber "condom" seal out of the reservoir before pouring in the fluid?

..and if you did, did you keep the master cylinder constantly topped up?

If you let the level fall, it will let more air back in and you start again.

Have you go the correct bleed nipple - it is on top of the gearbox, on the end of a pipe, down by the side of the battery?

Simon.h
21st October 2012, 21:01

No did not know there was a condom! Just took off top and topped it up and tryed to bled.

ahp
21st October 2012, 21:27
Ahh there lies your problem. Been there, done that:o:o:o
You have only been pumping air. The new fluid is inside the seal and not the reservoir.
Pull the lid off and put your finger inside. Pull the condom style seal out. BTW, it will be full of the fluid you just put in....
Maybe try to silphon out some of your fluid, otherwise it will run onto the carpet when you pull it out.
Then top up fluid and put seal back. There was a thread on here suggesting cutting bottom of seal, allowing a larger capacity of fluid in reservoir. That's up to you.....

Brek
22nd October 2012, 09:11
I found this youtube clip invaluable, makes bleeding the master a doddle. I undid the res lid and removed left the 'condom' in, put towel around pedal to catch any overspill and pumped the fluid in from the bleed nipple. Took 10 mins including the time to remove battery and battery box and refit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdf--suwqw0