PDA

View Full Version : Another cure for the 1800rpm roof lining rattle

SteveT
21st October 2012, 18:31
I've spent ages trying to find a horrible rattle that occurred at 1800rpm. It was lound and irritating, and sounded like it was from the interior, but I couldn't locate it. I de-rattled the BCU, but it made no difference.

I spotted this very problem mentioned in a different thread, and it turns out the noise is from the roof lining.

The recommended cure is to take it down and pad or glue the beam across the roof between the B pillars. But this is a big job.

I decided to "bodge" it. It works just fine, even though it's inelegant. :}

WARNING: once you've done this, your rooflining will probably be glued in place forever. I decided I can live with that.

Go to B&Q and buy two of their largest size Polycell expanding foam filler aerosols. Remove the front and back courtesy lights (pull off the translucent covers, then undo the two screws), and remove the left and right grab handles at the rear.

This gives your four entry points to the void between the roof lining and the roof. Drape some cloths over the interior seats etc in the areas below the entry points, to protect them against dripping foam.

Push the tubes on the Polycell aerosols as far into the roof void as possible, and discharge the expanding foam. I pointed the tubes in three different directions from each entry point, hoping to disperse the foam into as much of the void as possible.

Replace the grab handles and interior lights as soon as you've emptied the two aerosols (because if you don't the foam will expand into those entry areas over the next few hours).

The foam will have gone off after about 12 hours. As far as I can tell by tapping, most of the void between the lining and the roof has now been filled by foam.

And the awful 1800rpm buzzing rattle has been completely cured. The whole process probably took about 20 minutes.

Steve