PDA

View Full Version : The 190 Airbox

Brek
22nd October 2012, 14:55
Just removed the shannon tube so there is just the 80mm connector on the airbox now and there is more torque at 2000 rev now, has anyone run an airpipe from the fog light hole as I broke mine so have a hole there now.

MrDoodles
22nd October 2012, 15:00
Is the fog light hole 80mm?

BIG LEK
22nd October 2012, 15:01
Hiya andrew, I bought a 190 airbox for my 160 after brian done his 177 magic on it (lol) but never got around to fitting it, but I saw a car with the intake coming out of were the fog light was supposed to be, but can't remember where I saw it now? Plus ive even saw some pics of cars where owners have cut there own holes in the part that looks like a vent near to the fog light

Brek
22nd October 2012, 15:08
I'll have a measure from memory it looks close to that size, regarding fitting the airbox you need to mod either it or the mounting bracket as the 190 box has 3 push fit connectors.

Canonite
22nd October 2012, 15:10
I'll have a measure from memory it looks close to that size, regarding fitting the airbox you need to mod either it or the mounting bracket as the 190 box has 3 push fit connectors.

My only concern with having a cold air feed from the front end low down is the risk of moisture being sucked up, especially in heavy spray conditions.

BIG LEK
22nd October 2012, 15:12
Do you not have the proper 190 bracket?

BIG LEK
22nd October 2012, 15:12
My only concern with having a cold air feed from the front end low down is the risk of moisture being sucked up, especially in heavy spray conditions.
You have a very good point ;)

Brek
22nd October 2012, 17:22
Do you not have the proper 190 bracket?

Ho I don't doh, regarding the spray issue I am wondering if a solenoid operated butterfly valve operated via the rain sensitive wipers could be rigged up to close the hole.

BIG LEK
22nd October 2012, 17:28
Ho I don't doh, regarding the spray issue I am wondering if a solenoid operated butterfly valve operated via the rain sensitive wipers could be rigged up to close the hole.Might be-able to get you a 190 bracket if you want??

dissy1810
22nd October 2012, 18:24
Ho I don't doh, regarding the spray issue I am wondering if a solenoid operated butterfly valve operated via the rain sensitive wipers could be rigged up to close the hole.

Then you're defeating the object of putting it there

munroman
22nd October 2012, 18:46
I used to work for a company involved with air intake systems.
For normal use the designers try and have air come from an area which doesn't suffer pressure changes, e.g. behind a headlamp, under a wheel arch, etc.
The front bumper is not the ideal place.

Trying to get a 'ram air' effect will only tend to upset the running, and it is a good point about ingesting moisture in the intake. (Even fairly small amounts of moisture can cause ECU's to go into 'limp' mode when it is sensed, cutting performance drastically.)

Try and replace the Shannon tube with one of a similar diameter and length, and position it where the Shannon tube was, a lot of work goes into designing these things!

Brek
23rd October 2012, 07:26
Might be-able to get you a 190 bracket if you want??

yeah that would be great.

MrDoodles
23rd October 2012, 07:28
For normal use the designers try and have air come from an area which doesn't suffer pressure changes, e.g. behind a headlamp, under a wheel arch, etc.

Trying to get a 'ram air' effect will only tend to upset the running, and it is a good point about ingesting moisture in the intake. (Even fairly small amounts of moisture can cause ECU's to go into 'limp' mode when it is sensed, cutting performance drastically.)

Try and replace the Shannon tube with one of a similar diameter and length, and position it where the Shannon tube was, a lot of work goes into designing these things!

Would have to concur! :(

I replaced the shannon tube on Ed with some 80mm silicon tube off eBay and have no worries driving around the flooded winter roads of South Lincolnshire! :)

Brek
23rd October 2012, 07:31

Cheers for the info. The shannon tube was shot hence the reason for removal. The air pressure stability is useful info so I will use a pipe to route it back. Not having access to any way off testing for pressure change makes it a bit silly trying to improve things really. It is a nice boost as it is all the same.

I was thinking of replacing the throttle body tube with 80mm silicone so will get some for the shannon tube and report back.

MrDoodles
23rd October 2012, 07:38
Cheers for the info. The shannon tube was shot hence the reason for removal. The air pressure stability is useful info so I will use a pipe to route it back. Not having access to any way off testing for pressure change makes it a bit silly trying to improve things really. It is a nice boost as it is all the same.

I was thinking of replacing the throttle body tube with 80mm silicone so will get some for the shannon tube and report back.

Just noticed that your car is a re-mapped 160, unless you've fitted a 190 air-box and inlet horn, you'll need 70 mm tubing! ;)

Brek
23rd October 2012, 09:45
Just noticed that your car is a re-mapped 160, unless you've fitted a 190 air-box and inlet horn, you'll need 70 mm tubing! ;)

yes 190 box fitted.