PDA

View Full Version : auto diesel noise at idle in drive

pedu
23rd October 2012, 08:57
Hi,

When I 'm standing still in traffic in Drive at idle there is a noise coming sounds like a hard diesel knocking.When I go to N it goes away.It is no vibration.

This only appears after driving some miles and the car is on temp.

Auto works normal.

Thanks for advice !

Peter

James.uk
23rd October 2012, 13:27
Engine mounts or crankshaft pulley, they are the biggest cause of engine knock type noises.. :o

pedu
23rd October 2012, 13:56
James,

The crankshaft pulley was changed a year ago....

Lower engine mount has been changed but know I'm 62000 miles further.

Any other engine mounts that is important?

Pe

cargocar
23rd October 2012, 15:59
mine goes a bit quiter when put into N. Is your box noisy for the first few hundreds yards when cold?

James.uk
23rd October 2012, 16:37
Hmmm.... when was the gearbox oil changed?

Do it yourself if it needs doing, all the waffle about exact temps is just nonsense innit. :)

Might be worth checking the front mount drivers side, look under it for signs of hydraulic oil leaking from the damper section.. :o

If the noise stops when you hold the wheel, there are dampers available that go inside the wheel (under the airbag) to stop the wheel rattling. :}

lightningmark
23rd October 2012, 17:32
Where does one get the steering wheel dampers James?

Falcon Flyer
23rd October 2012, 17:51
I did read a thread recently where a non-oem crank pulley lasted less than 6000 miles........

rossocorsa
23rd October 2012, 20:42
I did read a thread recently where a non-oem crank pulley lasted less than 6000 miles........
Mine lasted 2 weeks and about 300 miles before it tore apart, corteco one on now and going strong

ProfDave
23rd October 2012, 23:32
Mine was noisy in D and quite in N and R and this was down to a completely tired out lower engine mount; so perhaps see if its only in forward

This was not so evident with gear changes and so on which was pretty amazing as it looked like this

James.uk
23rd October 2012, 23:39
>>>Where does one get the steering wheel dampers<<<

Good question, maybe someone knows the answer? ??

I'm afraid I don't know.. :o

tourer
24th October 2012, 11:39
Come on James. You have to tell us more about the steering wheel damper. A vibrating steering wheel is the only fault on my Tourer and it drives me nuts. It's done it since the car was 10 months old, just after Rover went belly up.
You have to remember where you read it. PLEASE.

roboconnor
24th October 2012, 12:33
Hi Pedu.

Check that your air intake is screwed in properly above the radiator. Exactly the same thing happened in mine, mechanic never screwed it back in place. The plastic rattles between the metal in drive but is fine when the revs are slightly higher in neutral and park.

Hopefully that's as simple as the problem you have.

James.uk
24th October 2012, 16:40
OK OK I do remember where I not only read it, but saw it. If I remember correctly it was Jules who posted up not only some info on the steering wheel damper, but a picture of one.. :}

From memory, it shouldn't be too hard for someone to start producing them??? I would buy one.. :}

pedu
25th October 2012, 09:30
Hi Pedu.

Check that your air intake is screwed in properly above the radiator. Exactly the same thing happened in mine, mechanic never screwed it back in place. The plastic rattles between the metal in drive but is fine when the revs are slightly higher in neutral and park.

Hopefully that's as simple as the problem you have.

I have a look at that ! Thanks

Peter

tourer
25th October 2012, 12:29
OK OK I do remember where I not only read it, but saw it. If I remember correctly it was Jules who posted up not only some info on the steering wheel damper, but a picture of one.. :}

From memory, it shouldn't be too hard for someone to start producing them??? I would buy one.. :}

Thanks James. I've got something to go on now.
Busy for a bit, but at some stage I can have my airbag off and see if I have a damper fitted.
Then the problem of finding one.