PDA

View Full Version : Which Engine Mount?

MangoMan
24th October 2012, 14:42
Sorry, but I have a quick question if I may; what part in the illustration below is the Lower Engine Mount that perishes and breaks down? I'm thinking it's #12.

Thanks. ;)

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h455/Rover-75-Club/Misc/GRID001742_zps92108f12.gif

reworht
24th October 2012, 14:48
Yep - no. 12 is the offender :)

WeeMan
24th October 2012, 14:49
Yes thats it. No 12

pevil
24th October 2012, 14:51
I'd have loved to have said Severrrrrn but it's 12

MangoMan
24th October 2012, 15:20
Thanks chaps... I think mine is past it's sell-by date so to speak... Big job is it? And what would you recommend, OEM or 'knock-off' jobby?

Dorset Bob
24th October 2012, 15:37
Thanks chaps... I think mine is past it's sell-by date so to speak... Big job is it? And what would you recommend, OEM or 'knock-off' jobby?

There has been a few debates recently, here are a couple
:smilie_re: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=126539 http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=127066

I think the problem is the OEM ones from Rimmers come out at around £90, so people are looking at alternatives, such as fitting modified Mondeo ones or Powerflex bushes.

Some people have experienced problems such as vibration issues.
My personal choice, as I do not want to compromise the refinement of my car, is to go for OEM.

Mine arrived yesterday and cost £55
:smilie_re: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170926806291?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Just my opinion, others will have different thoughts...............

ProfDave
24th October 2012, 17:17
If you can find a reasonable OEM or want to spend the cash then yes; I did the Powerflex one which is (in my view and others probably do not share) great and cheaper (£26) its easy to fit (certainly easier than the petrol powerflex which is much stiffer)

My car is transformed with the new bush (in fairness it would be blissful with either!)

Germanlemon
24th October 2012, 18:31
I thought my original one was worn/broken so I fitted a powerflex bush (but the original was fine when I took it off) so my comparison is between both types in good condition. I'm convinced the makers original is better, having said that a powerflex is probably better than a knackered original. I changed mine because my car vibrated quite badly at about 1800rpm in fith gear - it still does. It seems to be an inherent fault of the diesel with auto gearbox, my manual diesel never had the same problem.

Germanlemon
24th October 2012, 18:34
If you can find a reasonable OEM or want to spend the cash then yes; I did the Powerflex one which is (in my view and others probably do not share) great and cheaper (£26) its easy to fit (certainly easier than the petrol powerflex which is much stiffer)

My car is transformed with the new bush (in fairness it would be blissful with either!)

Prof, I'm curious, do you get vibration at about 1800rpm in fith gear?

Does anyone else?

MangoMan
24th October 2012, 19:38
Why i say mine is worn is that is I'm in 1st or 2nd and I accelerate or de-accelerate at low revs it's like there is, what I would call if it was a rear wheel drive with a prop-shaft, quite bad 'backlash'. But at higher speeds in lower gears it's OK. Hence I tend to depress and release the clutch rather than get the 'backlash'....

Thoughts please?

Thanks.

ProfDave
24th October 2012, 20:28

Does anyone else?

not really a strong vibration now; I did when I had the old MAF on and the synergy box; now I have replaced the MAF and the synergy is in my optimised position it makes a nice enough growl from my stainless exhaust but its not teeth chattering as it was before!

The Poweflex bush for me is fine; and I have done quite a few tuning mods so I suspect given the rapid progress that its got quite a few beans now!

I have not had a diesel 75 before only 1.8s with manual. I actually really like the diesel combination with the auto

ProfDave
24th October 2012, 20:32
Why i say mine is worn is that is I'm in 1st or 2nd and I accelerate or de-accelerate at low revs it's like there is, what I would call if it was a rear wheel drive with a prop-shaft, quite bad 'backlash'. But at higher speeds in lower gears it's OK. Hence I tend to depress and release the clutch rather than get the 'backlash'....

Thoughts please?

Thanks.

It is quite easy to see if the mount is gone (if you can get under the car or get it on ramps). You will see it is gone if it is bad; you can also rock the engine and again this will reveal the failed or failing mount.

If it is gone get it changed as obviously the lower motion can damage the exhaust. Also if its really goosed it can affect handling and braking too. Mine felt very weird and the new mount transformed it in all ways!

MangoMan
24th October 2012, 21:13
Thanks........ I presume it's on the offside?

rossocorsa
24th October 2012, 21:35

Does anyone else?

don’t get that on our auto cdti zt however i sometimes get a slight steeringwheel vibration at about 70 if i've floored it which settles after a while,i suspect a tyre issue which will be proven one way or another when i get a new set fitted on saturday. I would also like to acquire and fit the steering wheel damper that only early diesels had

Germanlemon
25th October 2012, 08:04
not really a strong vibration now; I did when I had the old MAF on and the synergy box; now I have replaced the MAF and the synergy is in my optimised position it makes a nice enough growl from my stainless exhaust but its not teeth chattering as it was before!

The Poweflex bush for me is fine; and I have done quite a few tuning mods so I suspect given the rapid progress that its got quite a few beans now!

I have not had a diesel 75 before only 1.8s with manual. I actually really like the diesel combination with the auto

Strange you should mention your MAF and box. My MAF was replaced with Bosch original so I'm pretty sure that's OK but I've always suspected that the vibration is caused by misfire or temporary fuel starvation, I wonder if there's any way to diagnose the problem.

Germanlemon
25th October 2012, 08:08
don’t get that on our auto cdti zt however i sometimes get a slight steeringwheel vibration at about 70 if i've floored it which settles after a while,i suspect a tyre issue which will be proven one way or another when i get a new set fitted on saturday. I would also like to acquire and fit the steering wheel damper that only early diesels had

Thanks for reply, yes it sounds like a differnt sort of problem (tracking steering?) but do you detect even a small difference in engine smoothness in top at 1800rpm.

kraanc
25th October 2012, 09:26
Go for Powerflex.
Here is picture with code and price from Latvian dealer.
You need Nr.2 in this, and maybe nr.1 - but not always.
http://adparts.lv/lv/katalogs/shop/auto/balstiekarta/polyurethane-bushes/p224373/

Arctic
25th October 2012, 16:27
I have power flex on both my cars the diesel and the 2.5 190 and have no vibrations from either car, Red for diesel yellow for the petrol, with yours you will need push the engine back a little after taking out the small bolt first this will then allow the longer bolt to get past the sensor on the exhaust which is in the way. Arctic.

ProfDave
25th October 2012, 17:03
Strange you should mention your MAF and box. My MAF was replaced with Bosch original so I'm pretty sure that's OK but I've always suspected that the vibration is caused by misfire or temporary fuel starvation, I wonder if there's any way to diagnose the problem.

well not sure how you would do this; a T4 session could highlight faults but mine came over fine even though it was a bit lack lustre at 1800 rpm or so. It continued to be until I changed the MAF for the Pierberg and turned on the MAF compensation. Now its great.

Also I think the Powerflex bushes are fine (I actually like the idea that mount fills the hole so is pretty evenly loaded unlike the OEM design which tore on mine!)

And its one third of the price.

MangoMan
26th October 2012, 08:14
I have power flex on both my cars the diesel and the 2.5 190 and have no vibrations from either car, Red for diesel yellow for the petrol, with yours you will need push the engine back a little after taking out the small bolt first this will then allow the longer bolt to get past the sensor on the exhaust which is in the way. Arctic.

Thanks for the info and pics, much appreciated! ;)

savi18
26th October 2012, 09:04
I have a powerflex on my 2.5v6. Yellow in color and its coming off, I have a vibration all through the vehicle at all speeds, just ordered OEM from Rimmers, my other 2.5v6 had an OEM mounting fitted and drives like a dream.

Dorset Bob
26th October 2012, 10:08
I have a powerflex on my 2.5v6. Yellow in color and its coming off, I have a vibration all through the vehicle at all speeds, just ordered OEM from Rimmers, my other 2.5v6 had an OEM mounting fitted and drives like a dream.

That is what worries me.

From what I can make out, the Powerflex bushes are £26.94 for the large one and £18.30 for the small one.
The OEM one has both bushes fitted and as an assembly and can be bought for £55.00.
The cost is an extra tenner. :shrug:
Ignoring the vibration issues, the extra £10 has got to be worth it, for not having to remove the OEM bushes and fit the Powerflex ones. This has also caused people grief.

I have all the bills for my car and the engine mounting is original.
It has lasted 12 years and 60,000 miles.
A new one, will deliver the same refinement that the designers built into the car.
That is good enough for me!

Arctic
26th October 2012, 10:11

Hi Did you check the lower wishbone bushes at the same time as these can also be split or perished,at the same time check all joints Arctic.;)

MangoMan
26th October 2012, 11:34
Hi Did you check the lower wishbone bushes at the same time as these can also be split or perished,at the same time check all joints Arctic.;)

Hi, surely with reference to your first 2 photos, wouldn't that constitute an MOT failure? :shrug:

MrDoodles
26th October 2012, 11:51

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Manufacturers spend £££ Millions on NVH!

Arctic
26th October 2012, 11:51
Hi, surely with reference to your first 2 photos, wouldn't that constitute an MOT failure? :shrug:

Yes i pointed this out to the member when i changed his lower mount he as since had them changed so all is well ;) i am only showing as another reason why the car could be vibrating Arctic.

pevil
26th October 2012, 16:30
Quick question/hijack, would the V6 mount fit the 1.8, I thought the petrol models were all the same, at least that's what seems to be advertised on some sites :shrug:

MangoMan
26th October 2012, 18:32
Quick question/hijack, would the V6 mount fit the 1.8, I thought the petrol models were all the same, at least that's what seems to be advertised on some sites :shrug:

It must be different to some degree as it has a different Part Number.

V6: KKH101383
1.8: KKH101372

And it's more expensive, and looks different by the looks of it! http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-KKH101372

Sorry.

HarryM1BYT
26th October 2012, 18:42

Does anyone else?

Mine is perfectly smooth all the up from tick-over.

MangoMan
26th October 2012, 18:47
No, no vibration at all, just a bit of back-lash clonking on sharp acceleration & de-acceleration in low gears at low speeds - reason I'm thinking my Lower Mount is shot..... (I am correct in that assumption?).

savi18
26th October 2012, 19:54
Both the bushes are yellow on the lower engine mount this is why I think the vibration I can feel all through the drive, if the small bush was the rubber original then this would absorb some of the vibration. I will be checking wishbone bushes for cracks in case this is the problem but have just passed the MOT, however if the OEM bushes do last at least 60,000 and probably 6 years then I would go for the OEM ,£55 for the mounting yes(we spend that much on weekend boozing)

Dorset Bob
26th October 2012, 19:57
No, no vibration at all, just a bit of back-lash clonking on sharp acceleration & de-acceleration in low gears at low speeds - reason I'm thinking my Lower Mount is shot..... (I am correct in that assumption?).

These are similar symptoms with mine.

As I understand it, as the engine is transverse, the torque from the engine under acceleration / deceleration will try to move the engine fore and aft. The lower mount is there to suppress and absorb this. So it does seem to be likely culprit, to me.
From time to time, I also get a "juddering" when pulling away, which is another reported symptom. A bit more revs than usual, cures this :D

I also, do not experience any vibration, hence my fear to go aftermarket.
I am going to change mine anyway, so can let you know the difference.