PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a Diesel Express Tuning Box? ZT CDTi

smoogle
24th October 2012, 19:16
Hello all,

I have a ZT with the CDTi engine, and the previous owner fitted a Diesel Express tuning box...

This one... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400307257678&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

I think it is the same sort of thing as Rover Rons box. (however, I have no experiance of his boxes, I am just using that as an example as I have seen that it is the type of box that you can adjust settings)

It has 8 settings, and has claims to increase performance and boost economy.

I didn't get an instruction manual with the box, so I don't really have a clue what pin does what, so I am posting really to ask if anyone else has one of these tuning boxes with an instruction manual!

I called the company that sells them, and he told me that the settings are just relevent to how much power increase you want (1 being a little extra, 8 being a lot)

The car was on setting '7' when I got it and it did feel a little sluggish for what I was expecting, so I serviced it, cleaned the EGR and MAF and it didn't really make a difference to performance. It was averaging 52 MPG on that setting.

I have since tried the car on setting '4' and the performance and fuel economy is exactly the same.

I have tried running the car without the box, and performance is exactly the same, however economy drops to 49 MPG.

So, I don't know if this box is doing anything at all.

I have come to terms that my car must be a 115, and not a 135 as I thought because of the performance. I am not expecting this box o make a huge difference, but people rave about them being so fantastic, and this one doesn't seem to do anything!

Another thing is that I am not sure exactly how to change the settings.
When I got the car, just pin 7 was pushed down.
I have pushed 7 up, and pushed 4 down to find no difference, so I have pushed all pins up.

Is that correct? Just the numbered pin for the desired number in the downwards postion?

Or, for instance, to have the box on setting '3', do you need to have pins 1, 2 and 3 down?

I hope that makes sense!

Thanks in advance!

dattrike
24th October 2012, 19:30
Hello all,

I have a ZT with the CDTi engine, and the previous owner fitted a Diesel Express tuning box...

This one... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400307257678&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

I think it is the same sort of thing as Rover Rons box. (however, I have no experiance of his boxes, I am just using that as an example as I have seen that it is the type of box that you can adjust settings)

It has 8 settings, and has claims to increase performance and boost economy.

I didn't get an instruction manual with the box, so I don't really have a clue what pin does what, so I am posting really to ask if anyone else has one of these tuning boxes with an instruction manual!

I called the company that sells them, and he told me that the settings are just relevent to how much power increase you want (1 being a little extra, 8 being a lot)

The car was on setting '7' when I got it and it did feel a little sluggish for what I was expecting, so I serviced it, cleaned the EGR and MAF and it didn't really make a difference to performance. It was averaging 52 MPG on that setting.

I have since tried the car on setting '4' and the performance and fuel economy is exactly the same.

I have tried running the car without the box, and performance is exactly the same, however economy drops to 49 MPG.

So, I don't know if this box is doing anything at all.

I have come to terms that my car must be a 115, and not a 135 as I thought because of the performance. I am not expecting this box o make a huge difference, but people rave about them being so fantastic, and this one doesn't seem to do anything!

Another thing is that I am not sure exactly how to change the settings.
When I got the car, just pin 7 was pushed down.
I have pushed 7 up, and pushed 4 down to find no difference, so I have pushed all pins up.

Is that correct? Just the numbered pin for the desired number in the downwards postion?

Or, for instance, to have the box on setting '3', do you need to have pins 1, 2 and 3 down?

I hope that makes sense!

Thanks in advance!

I've got one, only have one switch at a time ON.
As stated the higher the number switched ON the more power.
I found 7 to be the best on mine.
The T4 guys can upgrade your car from 116 to131.
I found the box more noticable after I'd had the upgrade.
Only adjust it with ignition off.
HTH

smoogle
24th October 2012, 19:50
Thank you very much for your response.

Do you know how much the T4 guys charge for the upgrade and what it entails? And do you feel that it was worth it?
I am not a boy racer type, but I wouldn't mind making it a little brisker with a bit more pull.

How long have you had your Diesel Express Box?

mikesmith2
24th October 2012, 21:05
If you do a google search they have a website i think.

I also have one of these boxes and in total there are 15 different settings, if i can find the sheet for it i'll scan it and post it up.

smoogle
24th October 2012, 21:24
Thanks for your reply.
I have had a look on their website, but I cannot see an instruction manual for it.

If you could find the sheet and scan it in, I would really appreciate it. I wouldn't have guessed there would be 15 settings!

Thanks again.

samurai
24th October 2012, 22:16
i fitted an italia box on my rover , mine as the 116bhp engine this box transformed the running and economy , ive since fitted an egr bypass unit , and it now revs up even better , but the next job is to get it chipped to its maximum . Just to let you know i wouldnt tamper with the adjustment screw , ive seen it cause problems so ive left it on factory settings .:bowdown:

dattrike
24th October 2012, 23:23
Thank you very much for your response.

Do you know how much the T4 guys charge for the upgrade and what it entails? And do you feel that it was worth it?
I am not a boy racer type, but I wouldn't mind making it a little brisker with a bit more pull.

How long have you had your Diesel Express Box?

Bought the car in 2010 and put it on straight away.
Had the 131 upgrade in January this year, wish I'd had it done
when I bought it.
I had mine done by the_monk, he's in Birmingham,
contact him by PM or e-mail preferably, I'll try and find a link for you.

Here you go
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=350

Zafonic
24th October 2012, 23:49
Bought the car in 2010 and put it on straight away.
Had the 131 upgrade in January this year, wish I'd had it done
when I bought it.
I had mine done by the_monk, he's in Birmingham,
contact him by PM or e-mail preferably, I'll try and find a link for you.

Here you go
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=350
I,ve just had a X-Power remap done by one of the T4 guys, Big Russ and i was wondering if its worth buying one of these Diesel express boxes or would an aftermarket remap be better?

smoogle
25th October 2012, 14:12
Thanks for your replies.

I may have to look into an X-Power remap

marinabrian
25th October 2012, 19:20
Thanks for your replies.

I may have to look into an X-Power remap

Westward Ho!, blimming heck you couldn't be much further away, shame my workshop is in Ilfracombe...........Gardens....:getmecoat:
Brian :D

mikesmith2
10th November 2012, 13:42
As promised a while a go the settings sheet for op's tuning box

smoogle
10th November 2012, 14:04
Thank you very much for that. It is nice to know what all the little buttons are for!

I have been experimenting with different settings, and have settled for now on number 6

Once I have given the car an oil change, I will start having a go with settings 9-16.

mikesmith2
10th November 2012, 14:53
Glad to help even if it took awhile