PDA

View Full Version : mgzt cdti cutting out

bigrich
25th October 2012, 17:24
i have a 2003 zt diesel, it starts fine but cuts out after about 20secs and then check engine warning comes up. i was originally told it was a low fuel pressure problem on a generic code reader, so i have changed both fuel pumps , had ecu checked and changed fuel filter . i have not however changed any sensors.the problem was still there. i have now been told ,after a t4 diagnostic check that the fuel pressure is to high that's why the ecu shuts the engine down to protect it. the fault is with the injection pump apparently but as an after thought said it could be the fuel rail sensor but more likely the pump and has said its 20hrs of labour plus what ever needs to be done to the pump. is this right ? can anybody help out with any knowledge of this problem and how to solve it before i have to part with the best part of 2 grand . any suggestions gratefully received

tdi90
25th October 2012, 17:35
Theres a sensor on the fuel rail, and one on the pump.

Cant see why its 20hrs work though :shrug: I'm pretty sure the sensor on the fuel pump is just a couple of bolts to get off. There was a member selling one a while ago. I dont have a pic of it and its a bit dark to take one now.

The fuel rail sensor would be easier to get off with the inlet manifold taken off, but again not 20hrs worth.
Fuel rail sensor is the bottom right off this pic

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e237/gotsells/20121001_163532.jpg

Maybe remove both sensors and give a clean and then try? or source some 2nd hand ones to try?

FrenchMike
25th October 2012, 18:00
If the HP pressure is too high,it could be the fuel pressure regulator valve
maintained stuck ?

shiner
25th October 2012, 18:11
Got a fuel rail you can have v.cheap if you want one , with sensor attached :)

bigrich
25th October 2012, 18:52
thanks for the pic tdi90 am trying to get hold of some sensors an will give it a try

bigrich
25th October 2012, 18:52
Theres a sensor on the fuel rail, and one on the pump.

Cant see why its 20hrs work though :shrug: I'm pretty sure the sensor on the fuel pump is just a couple of bolts to get off. There was a member selling one a while ago. I dont have a pic of it and its a bit dark to take one now.

The fuel rail sensor would be easier to get off with the inlet manifold taken off, but again not 20hrs worth.
Fuel rail sensor is the bottom right off this pic

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e237/gotsells/20121001_163532.jpg

Maybe remove both sensors and give a clean and then try? or source some 2nd hand ones to try?

thanks for the pic tdi90 am trying to get hold of some sensors an will give it a try

bigrich
25th October 2012, 18:53
Got a fuel rail you can have v.cheap if you want one , with sensor attached :)

how much for the rail and sensor?

bigrich
25th October 2012, 18:56
If the HP pressure is too high,it could be the fuel pressure regulator valve
maintained stuck ?

where is the regulator valve are they easy to change if needed

bigrich
25th October 2012, 19:00
20hrs seemed alot to me aswell as ive seen posts saying its relatively easy to remove the pump buy removing the alternator first,bit fiddly maybe but certainly not an engine strip down that the supposedly expert main dealer has said . ive also seen that the pumps themselves usually never go wrong so its more likely sensor related. think im getting the cure buy most expensive option first and if that dont work then try the smaller bits . why cant we have proper mechanics anymore that will try and solve the problem rather than just replace and hope for the best

tdi90
25th October 2012, 19:17

That'd be what I was on about. My mistake, it is the regulator not a sensor.
Its attached to the main fuel pump. :D

FrenchMike
25th October 2012, 19:19

here it is :

bigrich
25th October 2012, 19:42
here it is :

excellent thanks

bigrich
25th October 2012, 19:43
That'd be what I was on about. My mistake, it is the regulator not a sensor.
Its attached to the main fuel pump. :D

ok no probs thanks