PDA

View Full Version : Security screws

ceedy
26th October 2012, 09:58
Other than using the right tool ( not sure which size it is ?)
or where to get one round these parts ?

Anyone got a sneaky way of undoing a Pentalobe security screw ?

the 2 screws I need to undo are earning their keep very well :D

At the moment I'm reluctant to order a Set just to do 2 screws for a one time undoing !!

and under the dash access is a bit restricted :(

C.

rover54
26th October 2012, 10:08
Are you trying to remove the EWS? AFAIK you need the correct bit.

vitesse
26th October 2012, 10:37
If it is the EWS unit then did this job recently. No special tool needed in my case just a long cold chisel and 5 pound hammer.

Removed A post plastic fittings and light switch surround. Whacked the security bolts at an angle just to get them to turn. Then used fingers to turn the bolts but should have put plasters on first rather than later.

After removing first bolt then bent the metal bracket out of the way to access no 2.

Was even able to reuse the bolts by cutting a conventional groove into the heads with a grinder.

Regards

rover54
26th October 2012, 10:44
If it is the EWS unit then did this job recently. No special tool needed in my case just a long cold chisel and 5 pound hammer.

Removed A post plastic fittings and light switch surround. Whacked the security bolts at an angle just to get them to turn. Then used fingers to turn the bolts but should have put plasters on first rather than later.

After removing first bolt then bent the metal bracket out of the way to access no 2.

Was even able to reuse the bolts by cutting a conventional groove into the heads with a grinder.

Regards
Wow that's a lot of effort when they are available of the bay for a couple £. If I remember Brian I think said they are a T40, cheapest bit on the bay £1.20 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T40-SECURITY-TORX-TAMPERPROOF-SCREWDRIVER-BIT-NEW-T-40-/120620704174?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item1c158de1ae

or full set £3.49 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/33Piece-Security-Bit-Set-Screwdriver-Bit-Tool-Holder-TORX-Star-Hex-Headed-Bits-/360492057359?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item53ef00430f

Unclefista
26th October 2012, 11:13
Screwfix do a decent security bit set for a fiver if you have a branch locally.

Canonite
26th October 2012, 11:36
Maplin also sell decent little bit sets including these for not much cash.

vitesse
26th October 2012, 11:42
Lot of effort .....

Sure could have ordered from ebay but in my location that would have meant waiting four days to get the key delivered as I didn't know about these bolts until I saw them. Even driving into my local town and hopefully sourcing one would have taken more time than it took to do the job.

Anyway it's sometimes more rewarding to apply what you've got in the garage to a solution and I did learn a bit about how to remove/replace the plastic bits.

Regards

ceedy
26th October 2012, 11:51
Sorry peeps !!

They are not Torx , I've piles of those , even security Torx ;)

Torx are 6 pointers . These are 5 points hence the the name PENTalobe.

Torx don't fit . maybe with a hammer :D ..

Also at the mo it effing cold outside so not spending too much time outside with my backside pointed at the sky, and the wind blowing up various places :D

too cold to even polish the lights :(

C.

Dallas
5th July 2016, 15:33
How did you get on Chris, did you ever managed to get any Pentalobe security bits?

I have same problem. :shrug:

johnandchris
5th July 2016, 15:49
I have a set i can loan out if anybody wants. Just cover postage.

Mickyboy
5th July 2016, 16:55
The correct tool is a TPH 30 I know because I use them myself when removing EWS
EBay item number 370469024935

I hope this is of help to you kind regards Mick

genpk
5th July 2016, 23:39
My local hardware had a set which I used.I have heard of people using a small screw driver and knocking the centre pin out of the head then using a small flat head screwdriver to remove it.
Personally, the screws on mine were so tight I doubt anything but the right tool would have moved them anyway.

Dragrad
6th July 2016, 00:35
Thread moved to a more appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old. This may be the better forum as threads get ‘lost’ very quickly in the General Forum. ;)

AndyAitch
8th July 2016, 11:49
I have a set i can loan out if anybody wants. Just cover postage.

I might just take you up on this offer, I'm trying everywhere to find one. I've been quoted £22.50 for a set but I'm very reluctant to pay that when it's something I'll never use again... I'm trying to sort one for this weekend but it looks like that ain't going to happen. I may be in touch... :)